Crate and Barrel Reviews | Glassdoor

Crate and Barrel Reviews

Updated October 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Supportive and collaborative work environment where you are encouraged to lead with your strengths" (in 68 reviews)

• "Very structured, good sales team, great product, well staged and displayed" (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • "No hours if your back of house part-time" (in 48 reviews)

• "No promotions unless you are full-time" (in 42 reviews)

"Hard work & terrible increases"

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you work around the right people it can make the hours go by. The discounts are pretty good and like anything else it was a great learning experience! Most employees are hard working and dedicated

Cons

Some in Management should not be in their positions. The company salary increases are a joke and an insult to the employees that go above and beyond.

"Sales Associate Review"

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time

Pros

- Flexible hours
    -Comprehensive training
    -Ability to grow in the position

Cons

-Could at times be disorganized
    -Systems are very outdated

"Crate the Great"

Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Crate because I immediately felt welcomed. The culture is the perfect fit between having a corporate feel and also being laid back. From the beginning, my manager has advocated career progression, and really showed that she wants me to succeed. I think thats something thats really important, especially in an entry level position, because thats where you build your confidence for the rest of your career. Crate is very transparent which is something that I value. I also value the fun company events that are put together often. Its really nice when Neela and Woody (CEO and President) walk around and talk to employee's of all levels. You can tell they care and really want to get to know their employees.

Cons

Low 401k match, limited vacation

Sep 24, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Recruiter - Corporate

Thanks for your feedback!
    Please note effective October 22, 2018, all full-time corporate and field leadership associates will now receive three (3) weeks of vacation upon hire.

"Company is always playing catch up"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager, Sales in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager, Sales in Newark, NJ

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time

Pros

Beautiful product, some of the employees care about the store

Cons

No training for management, no clear direction as a company, always feel as if they are playing catch up with competitors.

Advice to Management

Too bad area/regional management can’t remember what it’s like to work at the store level, maybe they would care more if they did. It’s all about kissing up.

Sep 24, 2018 – Recruiter

​Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a... More

5. "Do yourself a favor"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Naperville, IL

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job that pays a wage.

Cons

Call Center employee. Be ready to be treated like a kindergartner. The leadership is poor. No one knows anything.

Oct 8, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Recruiter - Corporate

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We value all feedback and want to make ourselves available to listen to our associates. Please contact the Corporate Offices at... More

"Not Bad"

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed and straightforward environment. Easy labor. Great for part time or seasonal.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement because they hire management positions outside. Turnover is pretty high.

"Great Customer Service"

Pros

Took care of employees, very friendly team members, always an accepting and communicative environment.

Cons

A lot of package waste, not much consideration for the environment. Big company so hard to make changes.

"Overall, wouldn't recommend."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Naperville, IL

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The discount, customers, and many employees at the stores, corporate offices, and warehouses

Cons

Crate is really trying to fall more in line with industry standards, and done properly that can be a really great thing. Unfortunately, the approach has led to a perfect storm of issues hitting customer-facing employees and managers and customer service associates at both store and warehouse levels. New changes are rolling out very quickly, and they all seem well-intended. But as each technology update or release leads to new bugs or issues, and updated policies roll out in quick succession without proper training, each new change is more potential for problems. More and more highly effective staff members are leaving because of the stress and culture changes and large numbers of new and mostly barely-trained employees across many levels of the stores, warehouses, and corporate lead to a lot of miscommunications, delays, and additional problems or complications. With payroll also decreasing, managing the workload, troubleshooting problems, and trying to maintain standards while also learning all the new processes and procedures, means that customer service suffers and the staff feels the strain of trying to get everything done. We have a really diverse and genuine staff, and all of us joined the company to help people and have fun, and it just feels impossible to do now. So if all you want is a paycheck and you won't take anything personally, this could be a really good fit for you. If you want a company with heart and a bright future, or a place to learn and grow steadily, this probably isn't the right choice for you right now.

Oct 15, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Recruiter - Corporate

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We value all feedback and have shared with the appropriate team members. If you would like to share more, please contact our Corporate... More

"Sales associate"

Pros

Discount and evening shifts starting at 6

Cons

None. It’s a great company.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Store looks beautiful. Employee discount of 30% is appreciated. Most customers, especially the many tourists, are enjoyable to assist. Flexible schedule.

Cons

So sick of hearing about opening credit cards and obtaining emails. Throughout the day we have managers "reminding" us about opening new credit cards. We are reprimanded if we do not reach our goal of opening new credit card accounts.
    Greater emphasis on credit cards than actual sales. You may be the top seller and nothing is said to you unless you're selling furniture. If you don't open new credit card accounts you're in trouble. Employee moral is very low. Three years with the company and making minimum pay. Very high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Stop the hard selling of the credit card. We don't need to hear about it 5 times a day. Experience employees should not be making the same pay as new employees who we train. Get rid of the "mystery shopper" who tries to nab you for any little thing. This only adds to the low moral. Stop the aggressive sales pitch. Customers and employees hate it. Sales Associates are expected to ask the customer "what brings you into the store today, have you heard about our sale, have you seen are kids department, do you know about out rewards program (credit card), would you like to add an additional item to your purchase, what is your email? Many customers can't wait to get out the door. After three years have never seen or been told who our human resources representative is. We should be well aware of our HR representative. Recent visit by our CEO was a joke. In and out in 30 minutes. Never smiled or spoke to any of the sales associates. Don't need anymore worthless visits from corporate management. My adice to upper management, stop had sell of the credit card!! We hear you already!! We don't need to hear it 5 times a day. Reward employees for the real reason why we're there, making sales. Get back to the basics of selling our merchandise.