Crate and Barrel Reviews | Glassdoor

Crate and Barrel Reviews

Updated August 17, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Supportive and collaborative work environment where you are encouraged to lead with your strengths" (in 66 reviews)

• "Very structured, good sales team, great product, well staged and displayed" (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • "No hours if your back of house part-time" (in 48 reviews)

• "Not many options for full time in merchandising" (in 40 reviews)

"It's not the same company"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The staff becomes like family
    Discount
    Resources available to help customers
    THE MERCHANDISE

Cons

Store Managers in jobs they are way under qualified for
    Too much emphasis on sales metrics
    Has lost the wonderful feel of discovery for both customers and staff
    No praise for the little achievements that you can not track on a spreadsheet

Advice to Management

If you don't LOVE managing a retail store, get the hell out of there. Because there are people for whom you are responsible who actually DO love what they do. Let people make mistakes, then coach them through how they could have arrived at a different decision.

Aug 6, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We value all feedback and will make sure to share yours with appropriate teams.

"Team"

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time

Pros

nurturing team environment, ability to move up in the company and hands on training

Cons

pay is not competitive, management training is poor, unrealistic expectations are placed on the team with little to no guidance.

3. "Floor Supervisor"

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel this is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The management team has been very supportive for my development.

Cons

I really don't have any to share

Advice to Management

management has been good to me, so I don't have any complaints

"Ok."

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time

Pros

Amazing staff, ok discount, clean and safe work environment.

Cons

NO positive attitude coming from corporate. ALL about credit cards when we can't even get customers their furniture they ordered. ETA dates constantly being pushed back causing orders to get canceled left and right. If you have worked full time and know other jobs around the store, you will get used to cover any of them when they need it and it gets stressful when you don't normally do customer service in the office and people are calling in fits because of their missing and delayed furniture.

Advice to Management

Get your company together before you expect people to sign up for your store credit card, that you can't even sue to get gas and groceries. It is ridiculous how much of a hit this company's reputation is taking because of the sudden lack of caring and cheap product moves they have made. Maybe find new buyers.. new CEO, new attitude. Also, stop with the automated response to these posts like you care. No one will call corporate to be put on hold for over 30 minutes. I know they wait is this long because I have customers call my store and say they have waited that and LONGER and never receive a call back when they are told they will.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees at my location were awesome. We had a great group of sales and BOH that really liked working together. I also loved the customers, no attitudes, and mostly friendly just looking to furnish a home or buy items for kitchen or registries. It was a fun job if you love to cook and love home decor. Discount was also very nice, especially when the item was on sale.

Cons

New Management was more focused on signing customers up for the C&B Credit Card than selling product. It didnt matter if you sold $2600 of items, if you didnt get a credit card they didnt care. Also the "appearance" of the store mattered more than selling product. If it was the last item in the store and it was in the window we couldnt sell it. Customers would get really upset because we would have to order it for them. Also, lack of "showcased" items in store. We would put something on display in front of store but not have enough to sell when customers asked for it. Why showcase it, if we dont have it?

Advice to Management

Constant badgering employees to get credit cards is driving your top sales people away. If your employees cant talk product, they cant make a sale and therefore wont have any opportunity to pitch your beloved credit cards. Most of my loyal customers were not Crate card holders but came in for the customer service, knowledge of the staff, and the product. You should focus on giving customers what they came in for and SUPERIOR service. THAT will increase your bottom line. I am afraid I saw more customers leave frustrated because we didnt have the product readily available and thats where your losing business.

Jul 9, 2018 – Recruiter

We have received your advice and want to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We value all feedback and want to make ourselves available to listen to our associates. Please... More

"You Dont want to work for Crate and Barrel"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lockers
    People employees- family feeling
    Discount
    Get to wear jeans
    401k

Cons

Upper management-
    45 mn lunch
    No breaks at all
    No one to cover the sales floor
    Assistant store manager mistreats the employees
    Verbal abuse, mental abuse
    The annual reviews are always - the same- you need improvement- regardless if you breaking your back
    Raises are like 0.35 cents if that!!!
    No more Bonuses- only upper management!!! And the sales and back of house are the ones that break their backs .
    Promotions are never given to the employees from the store - hire outside!! I have seen it 6 times
    No promotions within

Advice to Management

Employees are Humans too!! They wonder why people leave- its how we were treated!!

Jul 30, 2018

"Good place to work but be careful....."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to learn everything about housewares and furniture
    You get to meet a lot of friendly co-workers who are NOT managers
    There is some opportunity for advancement (more on this in cons)
    Comfortable work environment
    Great customers who come from all over the world and country
    Gain sales experience

Cons

Management is not the best. They only promote those they are chummy with, not the hard workers. I remember a woman who worked for the Madison Ave store for years and she didn't get promoted for years presumably because she wasn't "management material", while these annoying young little straight out of college girls were immediately placed in management positions. Not fair at all.

Management was often unreasonable. I remember this particular store manager back a few years ago who would not let me go home even though I was practically almost vomiting on the sales floor. She was also very hard to get along with.

Pay is not the best

Advice to Management

Promote those who work hard, not just your little friends and cute girls with bubbly personalities who don't like to lift a finger. Especially back when the Madison store was still operating and some of them would disappear downstairs to gossip and waste time while the floor was popping with customers.

Jul 2, 2018 – Recruiter

​Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a... More

"It Really Feels Like Family"

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Edina, MN

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Initial welcome to the company. When I posted on LinkedIn that I had made a move to Crate and Barrel, I received congratulations and welcome notes from Crate and Barrel managers from all over. I had been laid off from my previous company and landed the position at Crate and Barrel before my last day. No one from my former company said anything. It meant a lot to me that people who didn't even know me reached out to welcome me.

Cons

Many resources and systems are not integrated. Training on those systems is not very comprehensive, leaving you to figure things out along the way. When I ask for help, I sometimes find that even the experts on certain systems are thrown a curve ball.

Advice to Management

I know it is on the way but integrate your systems. Create a Store Portal where you can access many applications in one place. I spend a lot of time trying to find applications on my desktop.

"Store 403 Needs Immediate Attention"

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time

Pros

The people. Many are kind and always willing to help one another.

Generous employee discount.

Cons

Management is either disconnected or indifferent to the low morale of the store and how desperate the staffing situation has gotten.

The store has been on a steady decline. Turnover at every level and in every department has been enormous and should long have been noticed and looked into. The little and infrequent hiring hasn't been able to keep up with the departures so the store has reached a critical stage with skeleton staffing. Staffing is so thin all it takes is for 1 person to call out sick and you have 2 or less associates on a given shift. This is referred to as the "new normal" which is unfair because everyone is pulling more than their fair share of work. It's true, it's a competitive job market and there isn't a lot of interest in retail, which means hiring efforts should be prioritized and strategized.

Corporate should care about store staffing because we're unable to service our customers, not to mention staff burnout. How much revenue is lost when customers have a bad experience and leave without buying anything and choose to take their shopping elsewhere? Customers can't find anyone to help them in furniture and housewares, wait in long lines, have long waits for online orders and merchandise coming from the stockroom, and don't find product on shelves because replenishment can't be done and it takes multiple days to process a truck.

Wages aren't competitive, the POS system, computer equipment, and processes are outdated, new policies (shorter lunch, removing magazines from the break room, no vending machine, no personal items) strip away anything that was enjoyable or convenient. There's no feeling of community and all that's given is a no-explanation explanation and silence on the issues.

Advice to Management

The issues at store 403 have gone beyond the scope of management. Attention and help is needed. Improve and automate online order pick ups. Empower associates to handle routine transactions (waiving delivery fees, price adjustments). Support and provide training to new managers and associates.

Jun 18, 2018

10. "great spirited employees and managers, corporate needs work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

very friendly staff, they hire very well

Cons

hard to get a schedule you want (including requesting days off), corporate isn't great to work with