Crate and Barrel Reviews | Glassdoor

Crate and Barrel Reviews

Updated February 13, 2019
1,000 reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Supportive and collaborative work environment where you are encouraged to lead with your strengths" (in 70 reviews)

• "Fantastic team, great product, relaxed atmosphere (compared to other retail companies I have worked for)" (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • "Then all of the part- time staff who want the position must be interviewed" (in 50 reviews)

• "No chance of full time employment unless a full- timer leaves" (in 43 reviews)

1. "such a fun joy"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lyndhurst, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lyndhurst, OH

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, products and environment

Cons

you have to work 5 hours to get a break

Advice to Management

offer breaks every 3 hour

2. "Great Place Great People Good pay"

Former Employee - Stock
    Former Employee - Stock

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is great, Work is steady, and pay is good

Cons

Some customers can be rude but that's anywhere

"Retail"

Current Employee - Design Expert
    Current Employee - Design Expert

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Crate & Barrel has a wonderful work family. I know at my job location I do enjoy working with a lot of my coworkers.

Cons

The job is commission based. With now people buying more online you’re not only have to compete with your other associates but the website as well. I feel also that there is a lot of things coming down from corporate so just pushing the credit card or design services that is The job is commission based. With now people buying more online you’re not only have to compete with your other associates but the website as well. I feel also that there is a lot of things coming down from corporate so just pushing the credit card or design services that is putting a lot of pressure on sales associates.

Advice to Management

My advice not only the management but to corporate would be asked more questions to store associates. They are the ones that know what is going on with the company. Also, we have started conditioning our customers to believing that there will be a promotion every weekend. Our promotions are not competitive with our competitors. If we are not going to have great promotions stop increasing the prices of our furniture so that it becomes unattainable. In addition, reconsider promoting within the company. Your employees are dedicated and loyal. They won’t be for much longer if you keep overlooking them and de-valuing them.

"Little Progress in 403 Palo Alto"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time

Pros

Friendships with co-workers
    Employee discount
    Flexible schedule
    Great products
    New management has taken some quick and easy action to boost morale - going back to 1 hour lunch breaks, catered thank you lunch, organizing and encouraging potlucks.

Cons

New management has not been successful so far in organizing and fixing store operations issues. New management seems complacent in this area and not an active participant especially when she's permanently fixed in her office with the radio off and oblivious to what's happening on the floor and associate calls for a manager go unanswered.

Former management has been rehired so any chance to make progress and positive changes is pointless when they bring back managers that created more problems than solved in their department. Former management was on board during probably the worst period of associate turnover and decline in revenue.

Operations management is non-existent. Inexperienced and brought in from another store until they leave in the Spring. Rude and sarcastic tone towards others and openly jokes about not making any effort because they're "not a lifer." The stock room is a disaster with no direction, responsibility or ownership.

Parent/child associates are problematic. One parent shows up at will when their child is working so they can bring their child lunch and talk and distract them for the rest of their shift and getting in the way of others productivity.

Advice to Management

Fix the issues now during the traditionally "slow" period in retail. If you don't take advantage of this down time, it will be hopeless when sales pick up and there's no time.

Implement a No Office policy for managers on the weekends, the busiest days of the week. Furniture and Sales associates can use the help and manager calls where customers are waiting (returns, accepting checks/large bills, price overrides) would be addressed in a timely manner.

A No Office policy on the weekends will also enable managers to gain a better understanding of store operations and issues to make positive changes.

Hire experienced Customer Service associates instead of pulling associates from other departments to "cover the phones."

Keep up the hiring.

Feb 11, 2019 – Recruiter

​Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a... More

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive Corporate Culture
    Collaborative Cross Functional Environment
    Sharp, Forward-Thinking Employees
    Focus on Feedback and Employee Development
    A Product Line that we are all proud to be a part of.

Cons

No Cons that I can think of.

"The people"

Former Employee - Stock A in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Stock A in New York, NY

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The friendliness at the work place, discounts and some what flexibility.

Cons

Hours and management could be better, but sadly isn't

Advice to Management

Be more open minded and unionize that'll help alot of the favoritism.

Feb 11, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Recruiter

7. "Merchandise Associate"

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time

Pros

The company offers benefits to full-time employees

Cons

Corporate seemed to be making an effort to make changes, often ineffective and detrimental to store employees

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Inspirational design, new product and customers

Cons

Training can sometimes be a hit or miss due to trainer.

9. "Design , retired Art professor from EU,fashion advisory."

Pros

Creative thinking and challenge to accomplishment.

Cons

Finding the best way for your positive outcome.

Advice to Management

There’s always some greatness in the world....sunny days,great songs,people,animals,flowers and so much more. Only up to you.

10. "Seasonal Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced retail job, you are helping customers decorate their homes. Helps to be interested in the product and/or home decor and decorating. Customers are pleasant. Pays well for retail. Coworkers are very friendly--many people who work there have professional backgrounds (Crate and Barrel is their second income).
    There is always something to do!

Cons

Job was temporary.
    Business can be slow at times because like many places they are competing with online shopping.

Jan 28, 2019 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!