Crate and Barrel Reviews | Glassdoor

Crate and Barrel Reviews

Updated December 8, 2018

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Supportive and collaborative work environment where you are encouraged to lead with your strengths" (in 69 reviews)

• "Very structured, good sales team, great product, well staged and displayed" (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • "No hours if your back of house part-time" (in 49 reviews)

• "No promotions unless you are full-time" (in 43 reviews)

1. "Great retail company"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager, Sales
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager, Sales

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall company focus on customer service
    Excellent employee discount
    Great products

Cons

Inconsistencies in management and HR practices across locations

Nov 12, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Recruiter - Corporate

We value all feedback and want to make ourselves available to listen to our associates. If you have experienced inconsistent HR practices, we would like to know. Please contact the Corporate Offices... More

"Unprofessional, Disorganized, Lack of Accountability & Training"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount, A lot of people want to do their best, many hard workers

Cons

The location I worked at is a very unprofessional and disorganized place of business. In fact I felt it was a hostile work environment with the way the store manager conducted business and treated employees. The store manager often used profanity and spoke ill of subordinates. There was a strong lack of accountability for following company policies like attendance and security. Training was often spoken about but never followed up or completed. Many of the staff are unhappy due to low moral which is caused by the poor management and lack of recognition for employees. I strongly do not recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Have your store managers go on a manager boot camp. Get them to be more in touch with their people. Teach them to treat employees with respect. Remember: the sales team and back of house team are on the frontlines. They are the reason managers have the salaries they have, because of their hard work.

Don’t sits in the office leading by yelling over the headsets. That’s not a leader. Make sure you empower your team by training them and following up. Be accountable for their career growth by following up on training. Managers are only as good as the team they lead.

Nov 19, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Recruiter - Corporate

​Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a... More

"Decent place for part time work"

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice
    Good experience for anyone who wants to work in retail

Cons

Corporate makes bad snap decisions

Advice to Management

Stop constantly coming up with different conflicting plans every few months to promote "operational efficiency". Fix your distribution issues at every store, not just the most profitable ones.

"Incompetence and inexperience abound"

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You become close with co-workers and a nice discount, but that's pretty much it.

Cons

Too many to list, but the main cons are the managers do not focus on the main issues of the store, letting them fester and get worse over time. Also the associates are all inexperienced for the positions they are assigned. Complete lack of communications, no one knows what is going on.

Advice to Management

It's difficult to say. I want to say get rid of all the people who are unequipped to do their job properly, but there wouldn't be enough people working in the store. Instead I'll say they need to focus on teaching the inexperienced associated how to do their jobs properly.

Nov 12, 2018 – Manager, Field Talent Acquisition

We have received your advice and want to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We value all feedback and want to make ourselves available to listen to our associates. Please... More

5. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

They are open until 9pm

"Just don't pay enough for what they want"

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

employee discount; gain knowledge about cooking, decorating, furniture; often nice coworkers

Cons

hourly pay lags WAY behind similar positions elsewhere, and the work load can be pretty high; the work is often more physical than many people expect; little chance for advancement

7. "Great company to work for"

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time

Pros

Really love the teamwork and support from management staff for store leadership and development of staff

Cons

Working evenings and weekends (but goes with territory of working in retail)

"Lots of favoritism"

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, internal promotions

Cons

Strict management, always chose favorites for internal promotions

Advice to Management

Base promotions off of merit and ability rather than workplace politics

9. "Merchandising Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, helpful training program, strong communication

Cons

Not the most enthusiastic work environment

"The gross mismanagement of 403 Palo Alto"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time

Pros

Generous employee discount.

Friendships with co-workers.

Cons

Despite changes made in management in the last several months, and further departures, regional and former and current store management bears responsibility for a failing store, massive departures, and low employee morale.

Recently, one of the managers made a comment that our payroll is over budget and sales don't support having more people scheduled. How is that possible when there are often only 2 or 3 associates on a shift. That is offensive and should be addressed and explained to all associates at a weekend meeting - associates who feel the pain day in and day out of being overwhelmed and not having support due to how desperate the lack of hiring and staffing has gotten.

Managers spend their days, including weekends!!!, in their office and fail to support, or leave it to junior leads, to provide support to the front of the house. Furniture and Sales associates are on the front line with customers and are unsupported when calls for help are made when there are long lines, including the constant need to have a manager override fees or authorize returns. Associates are often told they'll have to wait over the walkie leaving them in an awkward position as they're the ones engaged with the customer who is waiting, and waiting, and waiting. And in the meantime, how many customers remain unhelped that result in loss of sales?

The management team should be thankful for the core stockroom team, full-time and part-time, that have been loyal throughout the chaos and years of shrinking staff. The stockroom team is working their fingers to the bone, have the most responsibilities, and are the backbone of every store.

There is no communication whatsoever from management. Associates are often left in the dark and must learn store news from each other when there are policy or process changes, personnel changes, etc., that effect everyone.

You know this store is in trouble when it has resorted to regularly closing the office at night, while the store is still open, because they failed to schedule an associate in customer service, or they needed more stockroom support (because only 1 or 2 stock associates were scheduled on a closing shift). How many sales are lost by people not being able to get through to place a phone order, check on merchandise, get through to the Furniture associate they've been working with to purchase a quote, etc., etc.

Advice to Management

Regional and incoming management needs to get their house in order with their senior store leadership team. This group needs to be unified and organized. Seek feedback from your regular F/T and P/T Furniture, Sales, and Stockroom associates. If you want to understand what the issues are and retain employees, allow them a voice and make them feel valued. Take responsibility and show follow through.

Immediately change the policy that requires a manager for simple transactions - empower associates to waive delivery fees and make price adjustments.

Recognize how hard associates are working without help and show them they're valued through easy gestures that go a long way like buying breakfast on truck days, snacks or lunch on the weekend.

Conduct a store survey that allows everyone to provide open and unfiltered feedback given the ongoing and specific issues at the store.

Nov 26, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Recruiter - Corporate

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We value all feedback and want to make ourselves available to all our associates. We have shared your feedback however if you would... More