Crate and Barrel Employee Reviews about "work environment"
54% would recommend to a friend
(141 total reviews)
45% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great people and very organized" (in 182 reviews)
- "Great atmosphere and coworkers." (in 128 reviews)
- "Good Benefits and co workers" (in 66 reviews)
- "Flexible hours and not far from my house" (in 65 reviews)
- "Would recommend to a friend simply based on if the staff is friendly at said location" (in 51 reviews)
- "Poor management and even though most of the employees are kind there are some personalities they are very unsuitable fit for customer service." (in 155 reviews)
- "The company does not allow for much advancement and the low pay leads to high turnover." (in 149 reviews)
- "To many managers with conflicting views." (in 82 reviews)
- "poor upper management stuck in a rut" (in 35 reviews)
- "3. There is no training concerning what to do in case of an emergency or 'event'." (in 34 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Crate and Barrel and is not affected by filters.
Found 141 of over 2K reviews
Updated Nov 30, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Reviews about "work environment"Return to all Reviews
- 5.0Nov 21, 2023Sales Associate/Customer Service RepresentativeCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearMississauga, ON
1. Amazing culture and people 2. The work is fairly well directed and people are ready to help you through it 3. Very considerate and inclusive work environment
1. Not many opportunities to work full-time or in a more permanent position 2. Some managers might be a little more difficult than others
- 2.0Nov 13, 2018Sales ManagerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearSeattle, WA
Employee Discount, A lot of people want to do their best, many hard workers
The location I worked at is a very unprofessional and disorganized place of business. In fact I felt it was a hostile work environment with the way the store manager conducted business and treated employees. The store manager often used profanity and spoke ill of subordinates. There was a strong lack of accountability for following company policies like attendance and security. Training was often spoken about but never followed up or completed. Many of the staff are unhappy due to low moral which is caused by the poor management and lack of recognition for employees. I strongly do not recommend working here.11Crate and Barrel Response6y
Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a member of the Associate Relations team where we can find out more details and follow up with the appropriate senior level management.
- 5.0Sep 16, 2022Stock RoomFormer Employee
works with school schedule and has great work environment.
must work at least 1 day during the weekendCrate and Barrel Response2y
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We’re so happy to hear you love Crate!
- 2.0Aug 13, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
Great product, can be a great atmosphere to work in. Customers were for the most part pleasant to work with. The company was built on an idea of valuing the people who work for them and the products they sell. It went away from that for a while, but has been slowly coming back. I would recommend working there in a PT role, but not in management.
It's hard to develop into other roles, or be considered for other roles. Associate relation issues don't seem to be taken seriously, any complaints that are made in store or at the regional/area levels seem to be discounted and not valued. The store would rather have someone who creates a toxic work environment than run a bit under staffed. The workload expected is beyond the base pay grade, raises are minimal and hard to get. Salary is $5-$15K below comparable positions at competitors. You're expected to work long hours and even though upper management will tell you not to work off the clock, you do because it's the only way you can try to keep up with the work load.4
- 1.0Oct 6, 2020Customer Service RepresentativeFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsMorton Grove, IL
Originally worked for Land of Nod and I can't speak more highly about them as a company! Great people and work environment!
Once Land of Nod was forced to absorb into Crate and Barrel things went south. Upper management did a poor job handling the merge and the work environment and expectations became more and more difficult to manage. I began dreading going into work and realized my happiness was taking a huge hit. So thankful I finally said adios!6
- 3.0Aug 16, 2021PlannerCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsChicago, IL
Great brand that stands true to who they are. Flexible and accommodating work environment. Co workers are helpful and team oriented.
There's management turnover, so there's a lot directional changes. There's limited career growth. Corporate culture is definitely an opportunity for growth.
- 4.0Jan 30, 2022Retail Sales AssociateFormer Employee, less than 1 yearCarlsbad, CA
Nice and friendly work environment most of the time
Not flexible with scheduling and pushy with sales numbers
- 5.0Mar 30, 2015Part-Time Sales AssociateCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearNew York, NY
Good opportunities for advancement. Most of the time a relaxed work environment where the work is not strenuous.
A very spoiled customer base. Sometimes the customers get away with murder. Leadership can sometimes come to work with their problems and take it out on associates. However, there is always some riff raf in any job.
- 3.0Jan 27, 2023Sales AssociateFormer Employee
the people i worked with were great so my day to day environment was awesome
The company itself is sort of crazy. They refuse to update any of the tech we use in the stores, so the POS is absolutely ancient and the entire store runs largely on windows 08 or something insane like that.5