Crawford & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Crawford & Company President and Chief Executive Officer Harsha V. Agadi
Harsha V. Agadi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work Life balance is non existent" (in 10 reviews)

• "Very high turnover rate for this office" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Values-Based Leadership and Positive Culture"

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO and other senior leaders are focused on maintaining a positive culture and giving employees opportunities for growth and development. Everything we do is guided by our mission and shared values. It is exciting to work in an organization that empowers employees to add value and make a difference!

Cons

N/A Crawford & Company is a great place to work!

Advice to Management

N/A

"Great place. Sound strategy"

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transforming the company
    Leading the way in innovation
    Creating culture of transparency
    Communication from executive mgmt

Cons

Some long term folks who do not want to change
    Many employees disconnected from reality of the market

Advice to Management

Get rid of low performers and people who are constantly bringing down morale. Lots of good things going, keep them going

3. "Good Place to start your career"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice People
    Good HR Dept
    Industry Education

Cons

Low Salaries
    You are a small fish in a big pond
    Minimal Career Advancement

Advice to Management

I worked for Crawford for 12 years in Accounts Receivable and Collections. I avoided 3 "consolidation" lay offs due to management fighting to keep me and finding creative ways to keep me on. Even if that mean sending me to Crawford University to get me an "adjuster" title instead of "administration". They saw my potential, strengths and built the platform for what is my successful accounting career today. I have Crawford to thank for that! I got lucky and had awesome managers for the bulk of my tenure with the company. That's a big part of it. There was bad management there as well. So its wasn't all sunshine and rainbows.
    There were lay offs, consolidations and hiring freezes over the years. You kept your head low, held your breath, did your job and hoped the "title" bracket you fell under wasn't effected.
    The salaries are low. People either settle in, get comfortable and stay a long time or learn what they can and move on. Annual increases were 2% with a good performance review. Only way to make substantially more money was a promotion. Over my tenure every position they gave me was considered a "lateral" move.
    Benefits were awesome when I started but over the years the medical plans got bad, and cost went up. But PTO, Sick time, vision, dental, 401K were all there. Company was VERY supportive when one of my parents became terminally ill and I had to go on FMLA to care for them.I had several unexpected deaths in the family and I was given then time I needed to handle those situations. If employees had medical or personal issues the company was supportive and made changes to assist them when necessary. HR Dept was awesome.
    Crawford is notorious for hiring young college graduates. Training them the tricks of the trade. They either stay on or move on in their careers having established experience and knowledge in the industry.
    People generally were really nice to work with. I miss a lot of my co-workers and friends I made over the years.
    It's a large corporation company so be ready to be a "number". But work hard, produce and your potential will be noticed. Possibly taken advantage of if you are not careful.
    It's a great company if you are looking to settle in and put down roots or get into the insurance industry and learn. You just won't make a lot of money. Its a typical "corporate" setting.
    But you gotta start somewhere and Crawford is a good building block to have in a career!

4. "Best for low to mid-level adjusters"

Current Employee - General Adjuster in Oregon City, OR
    Current Employee - General Adjuster in Oregon City, OR

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to plenty of clients. Minimal personal expenditure.

Cons

Turn and burn adjusting. Little room for the intermediate level losses that attract general adjusters.

Advice to Management

Structure the base salary better and provide a better commission to seasoned adjusters who tackle more complicated files.

"Company is a revolving door due to poor management"

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time

Pros

Compensation was within reason for the position I was hired for

Cons

My direct manager does not know how to manage. When there is a 150% voluntary attrition rate within 12 months in one of the Accounting/Finance departments, you would assume that Senior Management would realize that there is a Manager issue instead of letting consistently good people leave the company. Obviously , with the manager in question still there and highly competent employees leaving as quickly as they are hired, Senior Management has missed the boat.

Training is non existent as I was told to take orientation next year, when I would have almost two years with the company already.

Communication is pathetic.

Advice to Management

When there is > 150% turnover in a single Finance/Accounting department due to a single Manager, make the needed change instead of losing highly qualified people. In the meantime, I won't be holding my breath.

Crawford & Company Response

Nov 2, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

To assess turnover and retention, Crawford & Company conducts exit interviews with employees who voluntarily resign. Our intention is to gain insight into their experiences, both good and bad, to... More

"Some good, some bad. Mediocre overall."

Former Employee - Senior Field Claims Adjuster in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Claims Adjuster in Renton, WA

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Vacation, 3 paid personal holidays, sick leave. Experienced supervisors. Independence. Clear goals: bill $15,000 per month to insurance clients and you will be a golden child for this employer. How you get there is your own business. No mushy 'behavior-based' performance reviews trendy with some other employers.
    Option of salary or a 35% commission--definitely start with salary.
    There is a small core of highly tenured staff.
    The CEO has a clear head on his shoulders.

Cons

High workload. Many hours beyond 40 for middle class pay. Lots of travel time/miles between appointments makes it difficult to meet production targets. Constant turnover makes it hard for the company to maintain adjusters where they are most needed geographically. Company maintains flat-rate agreements with poor-paying clients such as The Hartford and Encompass. The hiring manager expressed a willingness to overbill clients when he was himself an adjuster in order to meet production targets (i.e. charge for 0.4 hours when the task only took you 0.2 hours, repeatedly). This caused me to wonder about his integrity. I then began to wonder how many other employees had heard that same pep talk and may have decided it would OK with him for them to bill more time than they actually took in order to make that $15,000 mark that was the difference between success and loserhood.

Advice to Management

Pay more to keep employees longer. Tenured employees can help Crawford get out of the 'middle-of-the-pack' status it now occupies with clients. Maybe settle for a 25 percent profit margin instead of 30 percent so you can pay and keep employees. Get rid of The Hartford and Encompass. Why accept $100 from Encompass for work that is $248 or $350 from First American or Amica? The low-billers expect Crawford to do work that isn't profitable. That's unfair to the commissioned employees and stupid for the company. Definitely push the work-from-home and commission angles--the financial opportunity is there for employees who work for it. Pay more---employees who work hard enough to succeed at Crawford can work just as hard elsewhere but get paid more.

7. "Good compensation package"

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time

Pros

H M O coverage is good.

Cons

Work load can be overwelming

"Teleplus Representative"

Former Employee - Teleplus Representative in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Teleplus Representative in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sometimes they can be flexible with schedule changes depending on how many open positions they have but that shouldn’t be a problem because on average 5 people quit per month, if not more.

Cons

NONE. Run away from this company. I have never seen a company with such high turnover rate and there is good reason why. Do yourself a favor and turn the other way. Everyone here is miserable especially now that there are new promotions to people who don’t know the basics of the job!

Advice to Management

CHANGE ALL MANAGEMENT!!

"Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Crawford & Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, 10 vac days plus 2 personal holidays and sick days.

Cons

Poor management, favoritism and unfair treatment of employees.

"Very Low Pay"

Current Employee - Finance in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Finance in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and room for growth

Cons

Very very low pay. Expect a pay cut and no room for negotiation.

Advice to Management

Offer better salaries and work from home option.