Creative Breakthroughs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Steve Barone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It's a fast paced environment that values its employees opinions and welcomes collaboration (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible with your schedule, trying to be a "performance based culture/company" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • CBI is a fast-paced and challenging environment (in 4 reviews)

• For these reasons I can understand why some people have left CBI (in 19 reviews)

1. "Ask CBI To Talk To Current Employees"

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time

Pros

Easier way to figure out CBI is super simple: ask to talk to ANY of their current employees (of which I am one). ANY. The place is breaking records and killing it. The negative posts on here are by non-performers that got broomed... guaranteed.

Cons

None. Keep it up, baby!

Advice to Management

Keep communicating!

2. "Fun with Hurdles"

I worked at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced
    Fun culture, the employees are fun and smart
    Everyone is passionate about security
    Everyone is competitive, which makes for a hardworking environment that pushes people to excel

Cons

IT operations is so mismanaged that it is a detriment to solving problems. If you want to get something done, figure out how to circumvent it.
    There is a side effect of the competitive nature of sales where a salesperson will package services or technologies that are not within the scope of the technical consultants abilities in order to make a sale.

Advice to Management

Reign in salespeople
    Fix IT operations. This is the single most toxic part of the organization

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ferndale, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ferndale, MI

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The organizational structure works here. It's a well oiled machine, which is very different than what I've seen at previous employers. The company is stable, and everyone works hard. Blue collar work ethic is a company core value, and the work is rewarding. You are recognized for the effort you put in.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Fact Based Review"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Reviews can sometimes be a bit "emotional". I've decided to provide one based primarily on facts. Ask yourself if you'd like to be part of an organization with the following attributes:

1. CBI’s been operating for 26+ years.
    2. We’ve never once missed a payroll in all that time.
    3. We’ve got plenty of people walking around here with 5, 10, 15+ years and I am extremely proud to be in the 15+ year group.
    4. I never once worried that I would lose my job, even when the economy tanked in 08/09.
    5. We’ve consistently moved this company forward and achieved nearly impossible YoY revenue growth goals.
    6. We are debt free.
    7. We introduced a highly effectively, Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) over a decade ago designed for growth-oriented companies like CBI to systematically and permanently improve every aspect of our organization.
    8. We opened 2 new amazing facilities in the past 5 years (Ferndale and Detroit, MI).
    9. We’ve dedicated the Ferndale facility to training the next generation of IT professionals via the CBI Academy program which works with several Michigan based college and universities.
    10. We’ve also made significant investment in building a 24x7x365 staffed SoC.
    11. We service some of the largest organizations in Healthcare, Finance, Manufacturing, Entertainment, Services, Power & Energy, State & Local Government and Higher Education.
    12. Sales team attrition is zero in 2017 (nearly unheard of).
    13. CBI created its own charitable outreach program powered by our own employees that has positively impacted many lives over the years with more events planned in the next several weeks/months.
    14. We’ve treated the employees to annual Christmas parties and summer picnics and have extend the invites to all of their family members.
    15. We’ve hosted an annual Tigers opening day celebration for the past decade where we invite hundreds of customers, employees and their families.
    16. We’ve consistency held company-wide meetings on a quarterly basis for the past several years using an open format where the CEO addresses all of us personally asking for feedback.
    17. We have a published set of core values that truly define who we are and how we choose to run our organization and they are:

Being authentic. This does NOT mean we are rude to each other. It means that we are open and accepting of honest feedback from one another.

Customer focused. This might go without saying but it’s easy for an organization to become greedy and puts its needs before those of its customers. We have this value to remind us never to fall into that trap.

Blue collar work ethic. Nearly all of us come from a blue-collar family environment and understand the true strength of a team. We are strong because we support one another regardless of placement in the org-chart.

Performance driven. Of all the values, this is the one that will weed out the individuals with a low constitution for being judged, measured and being held accountable to a higher standard. We literally set quantifiable, measurable goals for ourselves as well as our teams and publish them for the entire organization to see.

We are a small, aggressive organization that puts a lot of faith and trust in its employees. Most people can’t handle the freedom and accountability that comes along with that. We don’t sugar coat anything. I’ve been completely honest with every person I’ve ever interviewed at CBI. It’s a great opportunity to challenge yourself and to be part of an intense team of highly trained professionals.

NOTE: If you want to know what CBI is like, just ask for the entire phone list during the interview process. We aren’t afraid to let you talk to anyone.

Cons

In this life, anything worth having must be earned. It’s no different at CBI. Meaning, if you come in late, leave early, follow others, shy away from a challenge, shirk responsibility, look for excuses verse solutions to problems then I can guarantee you will not be comfortable at CBI. For these reasons I can understand why some people have left CBI. It's definitely not for everyone.

I wish I had joined CBI earlier in my career.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and remain true to the core values, as you have been.

"10 Years Experience: A real review."

Current Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm writing this review because it's long overdue - and some of the reviews I've read I'd challenge for facts to support it. I'm seeing several sales rep reviews - here for less than a year. It's Sales. It's the toughest job there is. (20/80). And we are in a dynamic industry that redefines itself every 3-5 years.

I've been here for over 10 years. Before CBI, I was successful at Fiserv, CGI, and a 3 man start-up Tech firm. I’ve been in the industry for 20.

When I started at CBI I was asked if I wanted to do something that few other companies (and sales people) had done successfully. I was asked if I was ready for a challenge, because the industry was constantly changing, and there were no blue-prints for us to follow. We would be building it out as we go. Could expect a few skinned knees on the way.

Like the Marine Corps, I joined CBI because I wanted a challenge, and wanted to be pushed. Stretched. I wanted to achieve at my highest potential - and then push that capacity even higher. Repeat.

No Company is perfect. There are bad days. There are decisions I don't like. That's true at every single company. Every. Single. Company. If you are looking for a 9-5 clock watching job, it's not for you. If you are looking for a place to just collect a paycheck, it's not for you. If you want an easy job, it's not for you.

I've had an opportunity to push myself to new levels. I've hit income levels that I thought were reserved for "someone else". An "off-year" is me making double or triple that of most of my friends and peers at other “Tech Firms”. I have investment properties, go on several vacations a year, and my 4 kids enjoy a great Swim & Tennis Club in the summer-time and 3 of them take private piano lessons. I don't mean to brag, but this is something that was made possible at CBI. And I'm not a workaholic. My time is balanced. My in laws come over for dinner on Tuesdays, and I take my 3 boys to Piano practice Thursday nights to give my stay at home wife a break. I worked hard, sought coaching, and learned from those around me. I’ve still got a long way to go.

It's not just about the money. I've built great relationships, and have had an opportunity to pursue an industry that has fascinated me since I got my Texas Instruments 99/4a in 1985 and coded a video game with thousands of lines of code (the game was terrible fyi).

I'm not here to blow smoke. CBI is not perfect. But as we've grown, I've watched where manual efforts have been automated. I've seen where gaps were improved. I open an app on my phone and request PTO for a trip to Mackinaw Island I'm planning, and 45 minutes later I have an email and alert that it's approved. My CBI 401k hovers right around six figures. My Medical plan is competitive, despite the chaos we've seen over the last 4 years in DC. BYOD lets me pick my cell phone & laptop. I take a picture of my receipt, and it pulls it in to my expense report for quick matching to my Amex. These tools help me do my job.

Cons

Same cons you'll probably find at a lot of companies. No company is perfect, CBI included. If you find a "perfect" company, I'd stay away. You will likely be asked to behave like a robot, with little opportunity for creative initiative to develop and further your career. I guess that's fine for some people. I know numerous people from our competitors out there. It's a changing industry, and I'd put CBI against any of them (and I regularly do - and win).

Advice to Management

Don't hire snowflakes

"Success Isn't for Everyone"

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CBI is a great place to learn, develop, and gain experience often unavailable at other companies. Support and mentorship is plentiful leading to success and opportunity for upward mobility. CBI embraces a performance-based culture that focuses on individual growth, ability, and performance.

The CEO's open door policy and transparency of vision embodies CBI's core value: Authentic. Company vision and goals are clearly established with defined paths to get there. Each member of the team is recognized for their part within the overall strategic mission and vision. We are growing fast in a booming industry.

One of my favorite parts of working at CBI is the ability to work with and learn from some of the smartest people I have ever met. Some other reviews name having intelligent coworkers as a negative --- I don't understand that. I love that every day I have the opportunity to learn from industry experts and collaborate with some really cool, smart people. What's bad about that?

Not only is team CBI the brightest and best at their craft, but we are truly a team. I have never asked a question or for support and been met with opposition regardless if it's a peer, direct manager, or the executive team. Collaboration, growth, and support are at the pinnacle of our culture.

Cons

CBI is a fast-paced and challenging environment. This is not a company that applauds or tolerates mediocrity. Success isn't for everyone. CBI gives back what you put in.

"CBI is just getting started, exciting times ahead..."

Current Employee - Director of Partnerships in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Director of Partnerships in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CBI is truly a performance based culture. Those who show up every day with a blue collar work ethic, do very well here, and are rewarded for their hard work. I began working at CBI 5 years ago, and have since worked my way up to a Director level position. Our vision and strategy has never been more clear, and it is very exciting to be a part of this tight knit team as we continue to grow.

Cons

CBI is a very fast paced environment, with an equally aggressive culture. Those who do well at CBI thrive in a competitive environment and accept the challenge of a culture of speed. At every level, CBI employees demand the absolute best from one another. If you don't have the internal drive to "bring it" each and every day, CBI is most likely not the best fit for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring the energy and passion. When the energy and passion is clear from the leadership level, you can feel it trickle down through the rest of the organization. It's a lot of fun when you can feel everyone driving towards a common goal.

"CBI Breaks the Wheel"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CBI is a fast-paced, competitive, self-manage environment. You are expected to show up on time, come in every day, work hard, be prepared, and be creative. If you do this every day - you WILL be successful here.

CBI can be a fantastic place to work, if it's the right fit for you. Our team works hard and is dedicated; not just to receiving a paycheck - but to each other. Our failures are collective, and our wins are collective.

I have worked at CBI for 8 years. During this time I built and developed my career path (when I had none), moved ahead in a Manager position, and had hands on mentoring every day. I was never told "no you cannot do that" - instead I was encouraged with, "tell me more" and "let's test it out"....

When I reached a lull in my career - I was able to have a discussion with our Executive team about my career track. We worked together to find a role that would challenge me, and where I could provide more value to the company. I have never been happier.

CBI is about growth. Personal Growth. Team Growth. Company Growth.

Cons

CBI can be overwhelming! If you're not used to having expectations or learning on your own; this environment can seem intimidating. Remember - we've all been there! Reach out to your mentors for help! Reach out to those around you. Your team members will help you and guide you toward success. We want you to succeed.

Advice to Management

Our company vision has not changed. However, some of the negative comments here are directed toward the frequency in which we 'change directions'. Perhaps letting team members (who are not as familiar with 20/20) know, that even though sometimes you have to take different roads than expected, the destination is still the same.

"Passionate Place for Performers"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I first joined CBI, I was amazed by the level of talent among the team. In a performance based culture, mediocrity is not accepted. I find this extremely refreshing. It's a fast paced environment that values its employees opinions and welcomes collaboration. In fact, anonymous surveys are often sent out to gauge employee satisfaction or the effectiveness of certain programs and processes. If you enjoy being challenged, want to elevate your career and learn from some of the best in the industry, CBI is the place for you.

Cons

Not the place if you just want to be average

"Great Company - Ignore one or two repeat posters"

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time

Pros

Hysterical to read some of these review by people that didn't cut the mustard. Also nearly libelous to read some of the false things posted. We are killing it around here and it's nearly impossible to fail if you're high energy and committed to success.

Cons

Some of the people on here that don't get it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!