Creator Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 20, 2018

4.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "World-class team, cutting-edge technology"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Creator full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the four years I've been at Momentum Machines, the culture, challenge and drive has led me to incredible personal and professional growth. This is an amazing place to be! Also it is awesome to apply engineering skills to something as cool and relatable as food... at times this job feels more like an senior design project.

+ Talented team that is fun to work with.
    + Growth-oriented culture.
    + Collegial atmosphere.
    + Among the first to bring robotics to the commercial space.
    + Modern software stack, prototyping tools and fresh approach to automation.
    + Team defaults to trusting each other - no one leads from title or "positional authority".
    + Growing fast!
    + Everyone here is smart, empathetic and respectful.
    + I'm surrounded by foodies!

Cons

+ The company will have to work hard to maintain its stellar culture as it grows.
    + We're running out of space at our office... time to find a bigger one.
    + Can't talk about all the cool stuff we do while we're in stealth mode.
    + No in-office masseuse, bean-bag chairs, or executive chef - but we do cook ourselves breakfast and team lunches every week!

Advice to Management

We don't have any company swag. I'd love a coffee mug or maybe a Patagonia vest once we're out of stealth mode.

2. "Smart and creative people, strong and thoughtful leadership,"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Creator full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Senior Robotics/Hardware/Software engineers who a strong accumulation of patterns and inventions but everyone is super humble
    * Good company vibe and culture - people have fun
    * I love the product and the business model

Cons

* We can't openly talk about our technology until we launch
    *Outgrowing the office quickly

3. "Awesome Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Creator full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great, it really does feel like a small family here with everyone working together towards a common goal and supporting each other along the way. Lots of brilliant people with impressive backgrounds and a wide range of knowledge. Tackling unique and challenging problems is hard work but incredibly rewarding. The people are hardworking, all driving to deliver a great product. Positive work environment, lots of flexibility and good work-life balance. Respectful culture. Focused mission.

Cons

Like most startups, there are some growing pains and challenges as we expand, but systems are being developed and kinks are being worked out every day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for the transparency and treating us all like family.

4. "Fun & smart people with an amazing mission"

I have been working at Creator full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Even if it's Day 1 on the job for you, your feedback is valued.
    - Humble coworkers who are extremely helpful at any area of the company that calls for improvement.
    - The company promotes a culture of learning and puts in the resources to support it. There are also a lot of mentorship opportunities.

Cons

- We've had to become creative with the space since we're growing fast.

Advice to Management

This has been one of the most open, creative environments I've been apart of with a group of people who have a great rate of follow-through. I hope we can keep it going as we expand.

5. "Nurturing, smart, caring group of people"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Creator as an intern

Pros

Environment that cultivates creativity, encourages growth of younger employees, and promotes doing it yourself. I was handed huge responsibility and trusted with it, even as an intern.

Cons

Cons that come with any early startup. Some people feared slightly longer work hours. Also, was a bit cramped and hot during the summer (not really a big deal...).

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what's changed since I left Momentum, but when I was there, it was a great place to work. Keep on proactively thinking about company culture (I'm 100% sure you're already doing that), and best of luck to you all.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Creator full-time

Pros

Excellent group of people, exciting work, freedom to bring new ideas to the company. Momentum is still fairly small (30 or so employees) but is rapidly expanding. The whole company is very much committed to making this a great place to work throughout that expansion. Very flat employee hierarchy so everyone can have input. Loads of learning opportunities. Burgers.

Cons

Could pay a bit more, but they do OK for a startup. Getting a little crowded in the office.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Don't forget what makes this company a great place to work.

"Most of the Core Team Has Left"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Creator full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hamburgers served at work during testing.

Cons

Management, Organization, Discrimination, Hubris Attitude (from the top)

Advice to Management

Too much to name. A start is getting rid of your ("high level") Tesla scum.

8. "Great place to work!"

Former Contractor - Contract Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Contract Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Creator as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Momentum values their employees as people. They are supportive and willing to provide training to expand team members skill sets even for short time contract workers. Flexible hours, good company culture and a hardworking team. Great lunches and team meals. I enjoyed my time working for them immensely.

Cons

Occasional long hours, noisey shop atmosphere where design stations are located, access to delicious food dangerous to my waistline.

"An amazingly open work culture committed to employee growth"

I have been working at Creator full-time

Pros

1. Everyone here is incredibly committed to learning, growth and fundamentals (learning and working from first principles).
    2. The team is cross-disciplinary and you have the flexibility to work in and contribute to different areas of the company. Being a small firm makes cross-disciplinary work not only easy, but also critical to the organization's growth. If you like strong, supportive teams to work with, this is one of the best you will find.
    3. Work culture is very progressive and encourages healthy expression of thoughts and emotions. Simply put, everyone here cares about each other's emotional well-being, in addition to professional growth. It is very difficult to find this kind of culture in companies. People are dedicated to developing this kind of culture and proactively working towards sustaining it.
    4. Being small in size, you form close friendships with co-workers and radically trust your teammates.

Cons

1. No fancy perks: small office/workspace, no cafeteria (but you may get free ridiculously delicious burgers for life), not-so-gentrified part of Howard Street.
    2. We are a startup trying to make it big; salaries are not mind-blowing like everywhere else in the bay area; but the work makes it totally worth it (for me).
    3. There can be time-consuming, stressful sprints when you work a lot more than normal hours.

Advice to Management

Love this culture! Continue to sustain and enrich it. Keep doing what you are doing; you people are amazing!

"A little like a busy family"

Current Employee - Untitled in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Untitled in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Everyone here does a great job of supporting each other and driving each teammate to better themselves. Questions are highly encouraged and learning happens on a daily basis. Everyone is very dedicated to the cause and actually believes in their work. Lots of fun stuff going on too - not so much organized by the company - but people keep suggesting shows to see and places to check out together.

Final Pro: There is a lot of work

Cons

First Con: There is a lot of work. It's idealistic work and engineering driven from the soul, but there is still a lot to do, sometimes it feels like it.

Advice to Management

Never settle for what companies "should" be. Never settle for what everyone expects. Keep pushing on robotics and engineering, but also keep pushing to become better people and a better organization.