Credit Acceptance Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Credit Acceptance CEO Brett A. Roberts
Brett A. Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Many companies say they want their employees should have work/life balance but the reality of it, many employees sadly don't experience this (in 26 reviews)

• It's truly a Great Place to Work (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We pride ourselves at being a great place to work (in 13 reviews)

• There are really no cons to working at Credit Acceptance (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Associate Level Role"

I have been working at Credit Acceptance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Tons of growth opportunity
    - Top companies in Michigan / United States to work
    - Amazing company culture
    - Laid back environment
    - Business Casual Dress Code
    - Charity involvement

Cons

- My drive can be brutal at times when leaving at 4pm - 5pm throughout the week

Advice to Management

You have made my transition very easy and I cannot thank those who surround me enough. I have never felt so welcomed.

2. "Very enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Applications Administrator in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Applications Administrator in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Credit Acceptance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are excellent. The culture is laid-back. Upper management is clear about the long-term goals of the company and very responsive to employee feedback.

Cons

I've only been here a couple of months, but haven't experienced anything that I would consider a "con".

3. "MAM"

I have been working at Credit Acceptance full-time

Pros

Company is very open about pay, expectations

Cons

Have to like working from home based office in the field. Must be self-driven, disciplined.

4. "Do Not Waste Your Time if you are a professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at Credit Acceptance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Brett Roberts (CEO) is very down to Earth. He means well and talks to everyone like they are human, not below him. He takes time out to hold a town hall meeting once per quarter at all of the buildings (even though it mostly discusses the same thing each time). If you can collect a lot of money from people who can barely afford the vehicle, you can be promoted and make a lot of money. You do not even need to know how to speak proper English, in fact most cannot. In an attempt to appease employees they give free popcorn every Friday but the employees have used this generosity to extort tea, flavored creamer, splenda, honey and various other items because they now feel entitled. The company sends out surveys periodically through the year to analyze employee satisfaction but in some departments you almost feel threatened to answer positively for fear of your job.

Cons

Let me start by saying I actually liked my job for the most part. The growth opportunity is scarce, don't let the video fool you. You have to start at the company in a high position at HQ or you will have a hard time advancing. Promotions are based on favoritism, I watched MANY qualified people miss out on an opportunity and given to someone with less qualifications. CAC does not value higher education. They offer tuition reimbursement but if you have a degree it does not help you actually obtain a better position. It was stated once in feedback questions that an MBA does not impact your opportunity for advancement. Most of their positions DO NOT have a degree, and it shows. If you are a current employee you are 4th in line to be considered for a promotion in another department, one step above an external applicant. Basically you need to be willing to take a pay cut to move to another department and hope another leadership position opens in the future. Most of the employees working outside of a technical department cannot even speak proper grammar. For example, an employee does not know the correct tense of there/their. There is poor communication in many departments due to the lack of actual leadership qualities, which impacts your monthly rating and your compensation. Some departments are run by supervisors/management that will micromanage you and work you to a stressing point to increase their bonus. Turnover is rampant in 2/3 MI buildings. Management cannot be trusted with any "open door" policy. Supervisors and managers often never give clear direction and if you question the information they will look for ways to fire you or take your bonus. They will also steal your ideas and implement them as their own to make themselves look good. You will not find much professionalism in any building other than HQ. In fact, people can wear pajamas to work as long as they are not offensive, and they do. These are the type of people that conduct "business" at a "finance" company. They pay you the bare minimum, in some cases less than market rate but will find a way to twist it on how you are technically not in that market and do not deserve an increase.

Advice to Management

After 8 years with CAC, I had to leave. I applied for many positions but favoritism outranked me every time. There is only so long a person with a degree and ambition can continue to wait for advancement. I had worked really hard to get to a 4.5 on my PDL and was always told it was someone currently in the department who received the position even though I have previous leadership experience at more reputable companies. You should look at changing that. Working at 2 of the buildings is like working at an inner city high school. One is full of cliques, gossip, and people with the worst intentions the other is like a bad reality show. Leadership is very condescending toward employees and completely rude. I watched a lot of really good employees leave the company over the years due to lack of advancement and of course poor management. As you always said, those closest to the work know the most about it but when process improvements were suggested, leadership would shoot down the idea without even listening. Things were only acted on once when there were roundtables, which was 2 years of trying to get someone to listen. I think the company means well but the leadership in those 2 buildings needs a serious overhaul if you want to recruit and retain any actual talent. Stop giving in to everyone's ridiculous demands in the break rooms. You cannot appease simple minded people, they will always want more. I was really looking forward to using my finance degree to help the company since I was able to attend classes as an employee. Unfortunately, the politics and favoritism are so intense that was not possible. I wish you the best and hope the feedback aids in improving different aspects in the company for future professional individuals looking to make a positive difference in the company.

5. "TSO"

Former Employee - Tso
    Former Employee - Tso

I worked at Credit Acceptance full-time

Pros

Meeting different people everyday
    Meet celebrities
    Having great friends at the end of the day in your coworkers
    Year end bonuses (if you score high enough with your supervisor though)

Cons

Micromanaging
    If you sneeze wrong, you basically have to tell why you sneezed
    No room for error (like you’re a robot)
    Once you see your check it’s like WTF after all taxes etc come out

Advice to Management

Be more down to earth
    Remember you started at the bottom before too
    Don’t be so uptight and treating people like robots

"Market Area Manager"

Former Employee - Market Area Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Market Area Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Acceptance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home need discipline and time management skills. The training is good but it’s all corporate and not for the real world

Cons

Used to be Great Place to Work but no more. They have taken long term Market Area Managers and cut their markets twice the time I was there. You build up a good territory and they cut it. $40K hit in pay from being one of the best in the company to a terrible market. Dealers are suffering.
    Don’t fall into the thinking it’s a $100k job not even close anymore.

Advice to Management

Listen to the dealers and Market Area Managers not some data that says it’s justified.

"Truly a great place to work.... no smoke!"

I have been working at Credit Acceptance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great communication
    Actually listen to your concerns
    Believe in teamwork and show it
    Help you feel appreciated

Cons

Construction around building
    GSC Café is pricy

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job! The culture you are fostering is paying off!

8. "Repossession Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at Credit Acceptance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and incentive plans are good

Cons

Open door policy can lead to collusion

9. "Great Company"

I have been working at Credit Acceptance full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Plenty of Opportunities. Great listening culture

Cons

Negative perception of the subprime auto market

10. "Credit Acceptance Corp"

I have been working at Credit Acceptance part-time

Pros

It's a great place to work.

Cons

There are no cons. Good people.