Credit Builders Alliance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Dara Duguay

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Graduate Intern"

Pros

The team is very friendly and helpful to each other.

Cons

Too much focus on work and long hours.

"Great Mission; Unprofessional Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Credit Builders Alliance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative mission. Really makes a concrete difference for clients. Affecting positive change in the community right next door. You can always have more responsibility in a smaller org than a larger one: potential for learning and career advancement.

Cons

CBA in its founding years was the baby of its then-CEO, Vikki Frank, and is very much an outgrowth of her personality, since she was the only employee at first. Sadly, her personality was an ugly one: passive-aggressive, reactive, and petty. It's a shame for a place with such a worthwhile mission, wonderful clients, and impressive stakeholder backing to be run so poorly. When I was there, the entire staff save one quit, suddenly bailed to go to grad school, or was fired. The whole atmosphere was suffused with paranoia, schizophrenia, and recrimination. Beyond bizarre. I was one of the ones pushed out, but I'm not just speaking from sour grapes. It seems that leadership has since changed, thankfully, and I can't speak to how it is now. But, there are so many wonderful organizations in the same area doing great work with a less toxic atmosphere--so I'd be careful.

Advice to Management

Managing people is very different from managing yourself. And, to scale enough to pursue your mission, you do necessarily have to manage people. If you don't want to mess with that, I'd bring on a COO or MD to do it for you.

3. "Rewarding, innovative work peppered with stress and excitement."

I have been working at Credit Builders Alliance full-time

Pros

Our work is highly rewarding and provides a unique glimpse into different industries. We interact with numerous nonprofit loan officers, practitioners, credit bureau professionals, and financial experts, all of whom teach us as we teach them. Other perks include conference travel and being in a great part of town with food trucks and buses/metro stops right around the corner.

Cons

As a small nonprofit there is really no room for advancement, associate salaries are low for the amount of education and technical skills we possess, and the work load is demanding. Previous leadership and staff changes hurt our capacity and funding, now we're playing catch up while pushing ahead new projects. We are also expected to teach leadership the ropes, but they have not offered much knowledge share with us.

Advice to Management

Focus on core competencies and avoid mission creep, also take steps to continue collaborating with industry partners and expand services to current members. And invest more in staff, including time, energy, training, and money.

4. "Challenging and meaningful work - always new puzzles to solve"

Current Employee - Relationship Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Credit Builders Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Definitely a very unique niche in the asset-building field, with lots of very unique challenges. I've learned an incredible amount about how credit histories and credit scores work, and I've been able to improve my own scores with what I've learned here. Lots of opportunity to learn new skills and apply them directly to new projects. Good balance of technical/data work and people work through providing technical assistance to members and attending conferences/workshops. New leadership in 2013 also made a big different to the internal culture and work-life-balance particularly - leadership has been responsive to employee needs and concerns and flexible when needed.

Cons

Like with most nonprofits, there's always more work than can reasonably be done in a day and everyone is always busy and over stretched.

Advice to Management

Just keeping focus on core competencies when selecting new projects and partnerships, so far things are going well!

"Great work; excellent potential; terrible leadership"

I have been working at Credit Builders Alliance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Robust, meaningful impact
    -Good connections to government and industry partners
    -Start-up energy (potential unrealized)

Cons

-Set up originally as a one-person operation; never successfully transitioned to manage employees; pet-project that's jealously guarded
    -Shocking level of turn-over for a small, young organization
    -Employees aren't appreciated or enabled

Advice to Management

Learn that everything can't be done alone. Play to your strengths. Enable a manager below you to handle your people, enable them to own their work, and don't mettle.