Credit Karma "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Credit Karma Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 28, 2020

3.8
Credit Karma CEO and Founder Kenneth Lin
Kenneth Lin
Pros
Cons
  • "Sometimes things are slow-moving and there is a general lack of documentation (growing pains)(in 16 reviews)

• "Not a big deal, but the company is growing fast so space is an issue(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "GREAT Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time for less than a year

Pros

I don't even know where to start...Credit Karma treats their employees extremely well, and it goes far beyond the pay. The work-life balance, the in-office amenities, the culture as a whole - even the work - are all so gratifying. I've never been at a place where I've actually enjoyed coming to work every day. Everyone is friendly and seems to genuinely enjoy what they do and where they do it. Developing products that help people take control of their financial well-being - what's not to love?

Cons

I genuinely can't think of any significant cons. The Charlotte office is still growing, and there can be some minor pains with that (booking a conference room for a meeting, maybe?). But there seriously isn't anything to complain about here.

Credit Karma2020-01-28

"Company is setting a firm growth plan and investing in its employees"

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros: -Recent comp changes have made a career at CK extremely competitive, and the pay is very good across the whole company -The company spends a lot on employees, from office events to outside of work activities, the perks seriously add value in the office (although sometimes I feel like there are some people whose actual title here is Sr Manager of Ping Pong...) -Leadership has made a constructive effort at addressing transparency and outlining their plan for the future of CK. It makes sense, and if executed definitely leaves me feeling positive about the company.

Cons

Cons: We’re still growing, but there needs to be more senior/leadership accountability unless we want to continue sweeping failure under the rug. As we scale, we won’t grow unless we address what’s not working. -Work life balance can be extremely varied at best. Some people seem to go to work to play ping pong (seriously I’ve never seen so many serious ping pong duals in the middle of the day), some actually have a steady work life, while there are some floors where you consistently see people sitting at their desk at 8pm or later. While PTO, office closures, and certain benefits aimed at providing employees the r&r they need are great, I think there needs to be more done to drive consistency across the company. Overall it’s not terrible, and changes like the winter break are in the right direction, but a clear and enforced WFH policy would keep progressing on this front as an example.

Credit Karma2018-10-16
  3. "Worth working in there"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time for less than a year

Pros

• Many projects and challenges to improve ourselves • Great work life balance • EC has good visions in business

Cons

• Not sure when going to public

Credit Karma2018-09-02

"Lack of Respect from Executive Team"

I worked at Credit Karma full-time

Pros

When I first joined it was a real startup culture where everyone's input was valued and the perks along with it.

Cons

Company is being really shady from an equity perspective, work/life balance perspective and people having to fight to get a promotion especially from a diversity perspective. Wrong people are getting promoted who aren't qualified and the shiny new people from tech startups are contributing little but being paid more.

Credit Karma2018-08-15
  5. "Good Work Life Balance, Great Culture, A Bit Chaotic"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Work life balance is good with most teams, though there are always those with managers struggling to prioritize. -Interesting and impactful vision -"Win win win" business model -Pretty cool work happening to change the industry

Cons

-Can be slow execution on Product vision -Processes are missing in many areas, leading to chaos -Referrals/hiring can be tough

Credit Karma2018-06-07

"Excellent company to work for"

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time

Pros

- Smart, funny, and helpful people all around. Almost everyone here is a pleasure to work with. There is a special culture at Credit Karma: the abudance of clubs, organizations, and events encourage people to form friendships that span beyond the workplace. - A mission you can be proud about. It's rare that a company has an honest and proven dedication to helping its users like Credit Karma does. Countless times while wearing my CK swag, I've had random people on the street stop me and tell me how much they appreciate the help Credit Karma has provided them. This provides a ton of motivation to wake up on Monday morning or put in that extra work to get your features launched. - Top talent. Many of the engineers here could work for almost any tech company, and most of them will go out of their way to teach you new things. - Executive committee are mostly humble, approachable and willing to listen. There are office hours and a general "open door policy" that provide opportunities to provide your feedback to the top dogs. - Generally a very good work-life balance. There are times when you're expected to put in the extra hours required for the good of the business (yearly rush to launch big new stuff in January), but for the most part schedules and deadlines are empathetic toward individual contributors. - Willingness to change and adapt new technologies. Most of eng leadership regonize the abudance of tech debt, and encourage us to tackle issues creatively and with new (infrastructure approved) technologies like Docker, Scala, Typescript, and React. - Coffee bar, events squad, and workplace services in general all do a fantastic job. - Those snacks though

Cons

- Unclear and inconsistent promotion requirements. The guidelines for Senior level and above promotions continue to change throughout the years. There also seems to be inconsistency in these requirements across teams and departments. - Work From Home policy is generally non-existant. Some teams allow people to WFH several days a week, while others strictly forbid it or only allow for the occasional WFH day with advanced notice.

Credit Karma2018-04-20

"Strong culture and investment in employees, aggressive roadmap"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Awesome culture around experimentation. We A/B test nearly everything in order to make data-informed decisions. We are also getting bolder and more mature in how we experiment, and are willing to test crazy things with a small exposure in order to find new mountains and opportunities to tackle. - People have an open mind. As someone who loves process improvement and feels there's always a better way to do something, I appreciate that my colleagues and leaders are open to trying new things. I don't have to fight an uphill, bureaucratic battle to have an impact. Usually the consensus is, "let's try it and see if it works." +1 for testing and experimentation culture. - CK invests in it's employees. From surface-level perks (free coffee bar with the best coffee in the area, full bars, spa, video games, ping pong table (that people actually use on a daily basis)), to impressive events ("field day" is epic, holiday events, company celebrations: the events team goes all out), to employee growth and learning (for example, Credit Karma University, where internal employees and external guests teach classes that are free to employees; also each employee gets a substantial budget to pursue learning outside of CK for conferences, classes, certifications, etc. For example, I'm using my budget to pursue a PMP certification). CK makes it clear that they believe in their employees' long term success and are willing to go above and beyond "superficial" perks. - Related to the above, work/life balance is great. With the exception of a few teams, I think the vast majority of folks are able to have a flexible schedule to allow for doctors appointments, picking up kids from school, staying home to get a delivery, etc. As long as you aregetting your work done, everyone is very supportive and flexible. - Executive leadership has not compromised on company mission. Our mission is to make financial progress possible for everyone, which is why all of our services are free. At multiple company town halls, people have asked "will we ever charge for our services?" and the answer is always a passionate "no". CK leadership does an excellent job of balancing the need for revenue and to drive business with their morals and mission. It's really motivating and makes me feel good about what we're doing. When people ask me my favorite thing about CK, this is number 1. I've never seen another company that is this committed to doing what's right.

Cons

Credit Karma is still learning how to operate at scale. There are a lot of dependencies across teams which creates overhead. The roadmap is aggressive so there are extensive conversations around priorities and alignment, and the coordination can sometimes slow us down. CK is also transforming in many ways at once - we are upgrading technology while trying to build features on top of it, creating new teams, and working to ship a number of large features that are dependent on one another. Sometimes it feels like we are building the plane while we're trying to fly it which can be inefficient and stressful. At the end of the day, in my mind, these problems (scale, dependencies, priorities, alignment) are solvable, and we are getting better, we just haven't solved them yet. For me personally, these are the kinds of problems I like to solve so it's difficult and at times frustrating, but engaging.

Credit Karma2018-03-12

"Great Culture"

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time

Pros

- Compassionate people - Great Business Outlook (already profitable). $500M+ revenue - Great work/life balance

Cons

Frequent orgs as the company grows

Credit Karma2018-01-13

"Coulda been a contender"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Credit Karma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Perks were good for the size of company. It's no Google or Facebook, but for a 700 person SF company, the perks were great. - Work/life balance was reasonable

Cons

- Politics, politics, politics. You will spend more days a week politicking then getting any work done if you want to survive. - Not really great at anything. Marketing, tech, innovation, none of those are hallmarks of Credit Karma. They found a product market gap, filled it, and rode that wave as far as it would take them. - "Leader"ship is focused on making themselves look good which is easy because most of the c-levels are easily manipulated.

Credit Karma2017-12-14

"Proud to work for Credit Karma"

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked for Credit Karma for nearly a year. I believe in the company's mission and I'm impressed by a job role that has continually encouraged ownership, ambition, and personal growth. Though relatively large for a start-up, Credit Karma does a pretty good job of making sure every employee's voice and ideas are heard.

Cons

There are some growing pains associated with onboarding so many new employees, and some teams haven't ironed out the work-life balance as well as others. But there's no reason I wouldn't recommend Credit Karma as one of the most empathetic tech companies in a crowded SF landscape.

Credit Karma2017-11-21

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 29 reviews