Credit One Bank Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Aug 21, 2020

3.3
Credit One Bank CEO Robert DeJong (no image)
Robert DeJong
Pros
  • "no layoffs, great working environment, great people, new IT leadership(in 8 reviews)

• "Beautiful building, good cafeteria, good people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots of inflated egos in the senior management(in 8 reviews)

• "Your hard work is not valued or not even understood by the management(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Explosive Growth"

5.0

I have been working at Credit One Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've read some negative reviews about some of the upper level management at the bank and I'm just not buying it. Every manager that I've worked with here is putting their heart and soul into making the bank a better place to work. The company is moving into a brand new facility which will make it much better for the employees and they are constantly having events to engage everyone in company events. Just yesterday they had the Stanley Cup on site so the employees could get their picture taken with it. The company is also experiencing what I would call explosive growth. All the upper management has done an excellent job in keeping the company stable and on track during this growth while still managing the building of a new facility along with the movement of all our processing systems to it. This is no small feat and the staff (management and workers) should be congratulated on it. Special thanks should go out to Daranda Catto in the key role she has had in making it a success. Of course with any expansion and move of this size there will be rough spots which is why everyone in the bank pulls together as a team to overcome these occasional issues and make the bank a better place for everyone to work.

Cons

As with any company there are those that complain about their wage or manager. They talk about competing wages but if there was a facility that was actually offering those wages, why aren't they working there? Its always easier to complain about something than to work at making it better. For those that like to complain and there are always a few, I say make yourself so valuable that you become the manager and change things from within. Complaining accomplishes nothing. Do something to make a change. Change starts with you. Make it happen.

Continue reading

"Worst bunch of managers"

Current Employee - Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Credit One Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros for this company

Cons

Management is horrible, training is a joke. Upper management does not even know their job or doesn't care to do it, All training manuals are online, which there are over 10 of them, there are no rhyme or reason to them, and you are expected to search each one for the info you need for your customer, before you attempt to ask someone for assistance even with a simple question, and you are required to do this while customer is on hold! They have no idea of quality customer service.

Continue reading

"Save yourself from the grief"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Credit One Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

97% of the people are great, the other 3% .... not so much

Cons

During the interview process I was told multiple times, incoming Project Mangers would start out job shadowing for approximately 6 weeks and then be assigned projects, in reality, I was assigned 2 projects 2 days after joining (I barely knew where the restroom was let alone how the company or systems were structured), subsequently I was assigned another 2 projects the 2nd week and a couple more the next. One of the more seasoned PM’s complained that she was overburdened, that project was transferred to me with the comment “this project has been holding for a year! I need it completed” to which I responded, “I’ve been with the company for 2 MONTHS, that delay has nothing to do with me” Everything is a number’s game, the CIO was told by the CEO she would have to complete 60 projects for the year in order to meet his strategic goals. There is no rhyme or reason in the assignment process or in establishing timelines, several times I mentioned I had not yet been advised of the completion date, the CIO looked up and to the right and gave me dates, apparently there is a calendar attached to the ceiling I cannot see. There was an extremely uneven distribution of work, I ended up with 8 projects assigned in the first 2 months, several PM’s had up to 14 or 15, another had 1. There is no formal training process, it mainly consists for being pulled into a conference room and watching the “trainer” click around aimlessly for an hour. We were told during one of the sessions, this folder is incomplete, go tell ** to fix it. (Um, not my place to do that, sorry). Since there was no written documentation, I made the mistake of asking the person next to me, where are the ** documents stored during the first week. The manager spun around and stated DO NOT ASK THEM QUESTIONS, ASK ME!! Which generally meant being advised to go ask someone else. Much of the information regarding processes or systems were funneled through a VERY SMALL (2) group of SME/system admins, I found they provided off the cuff answers, usually not written, answers changed and denied providing certain information. During a weekly PM meeting, I was told, if this project starts to go sideways, escalate immediately! I was approached by the business with a concern and a request to schedule a meeting with IT project team including the CIO. Within 5 minutes of doing so, I was chastised by the manager for scheduling a meeting and inviting the CIO. Was advised later, the project team was aware of the issue and “C” level had met the previous week. (Not something the Project Manager should have been aware of apparently). During another weekly PM meeting, we were instructed to keep our business partners up to date. IT management likes to pretend they are transparent; however, nothing could be further from the truth. I was reprimanded for CC’ing my business counterpart when requesting approval from IT management. On the same project, I had been advised, the process for approval would deviate from established, I followed the amended process and received a reprimand for that. Once I decided I would not convert and my projects were reassigned, I placed a notification on my email simply advising of reassignment and new responsible PM. I received a very nasty email from management stating “THIS SHOULD NOT BE SENT TO EVERYONE, TELL HER TO TAKE IT OFF” When I approached my manager about it, she said the sender was upset because her direct report had to apologize to me and she’s very protective of him. C1B suffers from an extreme lack of available tech, all notes/documentation/meeting minutes are hand written and need to be transcribed during “downtime” Per the CIO, no other companies provide laptops to their employees. All project documentation is required to be kept in 3 different places and MUST be updated weekly. The IT department is run like a totalitarian regime, the CIO is very much a bully and seems to appreciate the atmosphere of fear in her department, she directs her minions to do her dirty work so she cannot be held accountable. She makes derogatory statements about individual employees during meetings, vents her frustrations on any and everybody (watch out when she pushes her chair back and takes a deep breath cause it’s about to blow), thinks “they” are out to get her (whoever THEY are). I was warned to NEVER complain about certain members of her management team (minions) as she is protective of them and it would end badly for me. Management spends time making excuses for bad behavior and has absolutely no interest in correcting the behaviors, they use excuses like being stressed, life changes or not feeling well. I was approached multiple times once advised I had decided not to convert by upper management, up to and including the CIO, told they really liked/loved my work and would really hate to lose me, so please consider staying. I ultimately decided not to stay but was approached by a handful of SVP’s from other departments regarding positions they had available which they would like me to consider. In at least one instance, the CIO’s right-hand man was deployed to approach the hiring SVP and warn him off. Same can be said of HR, They called about another position, went through the phone screening and asked if I would be interested, I mentioned I had just completed a contractor position. HR asked who with and once I said IT PM …. “oh, I’ll have to check into that and get back to you”. *crickets* I’m taking that as notification. Any plans to get in by joining IT and transferring to another department in the future should be abandoned, mindset seems to be, no matter how good a job you do, if you don’t want to work in this department, you’ll work nowhere in the Bank. Nobody is willing to stand up to her and is afraid it will result in retaliation. The attrition in the IT PM group is abysmal, during my 3 month contract term, there were 9 Project Managers, 5 have left since February and they have trouble finding replacements. The CEO has an issued a directive that the Glassdoor score must be raised, to counteract “bad” reviews, members of the management and Marketing teams are ordered to post glowing reviews so stay tuned for those to be posted. Generally, 1 bad review will be followed by 3 or 4 GREAT ones within a day or two.

Continue reading
  4. "From Windows System Administrator"

4.0
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator II in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Credit One Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been employed with Credit One for 6 months now. Getting brought on was slightly challenging as the department was recently understaffed and learning the environment and cleaning up issues throughout the department was taxing. However, upper management provided extra patience and assistance where possible and allowed us to work through the issues. My interaction with the CIO has been quite positive. She is attentive to our needs and has been fair in listening to our suggestions and allowing us make improvements. We have identified several issues with the systems that needed our immediate attention. Once the issues were identified and corrected, management was much happier and has provided us with significant benefits over the previous team. I would say that overall, my experience here has been extremely positive. When the on call rotation started, calls would occur several times a night and just about every night. After the recent changes and improvements we have made to the systems and the monitoring, we are called once or twice a week. Major improvement from 6 months ago!

Cons

Change control processes could be addressed and made to be more streamlined. Documentation could be kept better and more organized.

"Don't do it..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Credit One Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

I made some great friends. Despite most people there being experts at backstabbing, there is an opportunity to meet some great people. I used to think the CEO was a fine guy, handing out candy and holiday bonuses, personally, however, the more I got to know about the company, the more I was able to realize everything comes from the top.

Cons

The Cafe is overpriced. Not that it matters all that much, but I only say this now, because I work for a company that also has a cafe in the facility that offers a lot better food, and better pricing. Oh, but I'm sure HR will comment under that you do get 2 free lunches a month, if they even still do that! When I was first started working at this company, I was honestly hopeful. I was coming from a very unhealthy corporate environment and was excited to be working with a fresh company on the rise. I worked with a great team, but the more and more involved I became, the more and more depressed I was about actually going to work. My supervisor always had excuses as to why things weren't always fair, my trainer / team lead had been working there for years, being passed over for other job opportunities for nothing more than likes and dislikes. All of the "Good Guys" I say this because there are actual "Bad Guys" at this place, were forced to leave because they could not stand the hypocrisy and incompetence. Not to mention the blatant nepotism. This place had become unhealthy. But, despite everything, I stuck around even when being offered other opportunities, because I remained hopeful. I even met with my upper management about staying, leaving the conversation with the idea things would get better. Only to be sold out by my own Supervisor multiple times because I spoke out about the unfairness and the stress I was under. So much for backing your employees and teams. Anyone and everyone will sell each other down the river if it means less time in the fire for them. This place became toxic to me, and reading other reviews, the same for quite a few others as well.

"COLLECTIONS Unstable department."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Credit One Bank full-time

Pros

Co-workers are great, considering they are not appreciated

Cons

Most lower level managers are great. Upper management want your blood and firstborn. Expectations are contradictory from what they really want from you. They say they want you to be cordial, yet they don't want you to go with the flow of the conversation. You have to hound the customer until THEY hang up. Then it's your fault. Expect customers, who have bad credit, to pay in full each month. Again, if they don't, it's your fault! Also, very racist department

Credit One Bank Response

February 27, 2017VP HR

Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves in our customer service and as a former employee, you are aware that violations of our call model and legal regulations can not be tolerated. Your allegation of racism is very serious and we don't take such allegations lightly. We have a very diverse demographic throughout our organization, including the Collections department, so I am very surprised at your anonymous comment. If you felt this was an issue, we wish you would have contacted HR to discuss your concerns while you were employed. Even as a former employee we are interested in hearing your concerns. Please contact HR to discuss further.

7. "Profit-Driven Company Overlooks Employees"

I worked at Credit One Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance. Aside from some upper management, employees are tolerant and respectable.

Cons

Company would rather be profitable than take their employees needs into consideration.

8. "Former finance employee"

I have been working at Credit One Bank

Pros

Location is good, easy to get to, no hassle with driving on the strip. Pay is competitive, maybe slightly above average for Vegas.

Cons

Upper management thinks they are superior to everyone. Rude, condescending boys club. If you work there DO NOT ever say anything to anyone about anything ...unless it is something you do not care if the entire building knows. Do not think because you tell your boss something confidential that is will be kept confidential. He will tell his "boys club" and soon the entire building will know.

"Former IT Employee"

I worked at Credit One Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is competitive and one of the few places outside of the hotel and gaming industry that has a lot of IT jobs. Company is expanding and growing at a fast pace. You get periodic company bbq's (although lunches should always be free for as much money as this company makes). Bonuses are given out to employees at times (not contractors). Immediate co-workers are good and hard working (not managers).

Cons

In a nutshell one of the worst places I've ever worked. Job placement outfits should avoid this company like the plague because IMO it's ethically wrong to place people here without telling them of the employment issues. This place simply chews up and spits out employees at an alarming rate. Upper management are some of the worst. Back stabbing, throw under the bus, and belittling is common place. I've witnessed yelling by managers. If you make a mistake expect the Spanish Inquisition. BE WARY AS A CONTRACTOR. There have been people who have been promised to get hired on after a probation period but they can and have strung people along. You will never get a job review until your probation period is up. Then all of the sudden your job performance becomes an issue. They will tell you they want to try you out for a few more months. A three month contract turns out to 6 months, 9 months or more. One individual had a 3 month to hire contract and was strung along for 9 months before finding another job. Another contractor was strung along for years before finally getting hired on. I wish I was joking! Employees that should be hourly like the Help Desk and NOC are salary which means they get overworked with no overtime. In the time I was there I never saw anyone get training and at times you are not given the proper tools to work with. If money is more important and you are willing to put up with some massive dysfunction this is the job for you.

Continue reading

"Worst Company To work for"

Former Employee - NOC in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Credit One Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

None Baby Showers? Co workers are good some people are good at their, mostly stressed out due to treatment of upper management. No Pros in working for this company

Cons

Senior Management treats people badly. Senior Management are not professional regarding employees The work environment is bad Disrespectful CIO spreading the culture to management No growth or improvement

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.