Cree Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Cree CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The reason I liked working for this company was good people to work for, good benefits and there was plenty room to advance to" (in 22 reviews)

• "Improving culture & great people" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work Life Balance, Its especially with the department that I work" (in 60 reviews)

• "Long hours and no work/life balance" (in 22 reviews)

"Assembler"

I worked at Cree full-time

Pros

Working at Cree has its many advantages. The hours are set scheduled. The training was very informative and easy. You were given three breaks. The site also has a on-site workout facility.

Cons

The only con is that you couldn’t leave the site for lunch.

Nov 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for your service with our organization. We are thrilled you had a positive experience with us.

"engineering Manger"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work, Good Management, Great technology

Cons

Less focus on the critical and important future power semiconductor technology

Advice to Management

SIC has less focus in 2017

"Still "Almost There""

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many great co-workers.
    Many great managers.
    Goal-oriented company that rewards innovative solutions.

Cons

Everyone still works within their silo.

Advice to Management

All of the training and development of our company's leaders is a step in the right direction, however, everyone still seems to only work within their silo. HR, IT, Engineering, Operations, R&D, EHS all have their own goals and performance indexes and they don't always fit well or play nice together. Build and celebrate more cross-functional teams that work together to solve problems instead of dealing different ones to different departments to own. Many employees are unaware of the cross-functional teams that currently exist as there is little or no communication regarding their successes. Ensuring that departmental goals support our company goals, and sharing the success and even the opportunities for improvement we have will help support us all pulling in the same direction and sharing resources to make the business better.

Nov 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and current service with our organization. Your feedback is important for us to continue to improve the experience for our employees. We will use this feedback in addition... More

"Corporate Survey and Communication"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Cree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Gregg Lowe and the new Sr Management

Cons

The rest of the Sr Management

Advice to Management

I know that Gregg wants to change the culture and want people to bring issues up as they arise. But guess what? the big elephant in the room still exists, and this is not easy to fix. Retaliation fear will always be there. Even if Gregg promises it won't. RDU is a small area, everybody knows everybody. If I said what I really though of my manager, maybe I'd still be hired but I wouldn't be able to find another job in this area because HE knows EVERYBODY in this industry. So please be mindful of that. People won't throw their bosses under the bus if these individuals will then kill their careers outside Cree.

Oct 11, 2018 – Human Resources

We appreciate your review and your 8+ years of service with our organization. We continue to make progress in the evolution of our culture and are seeing great progress. We continue to evaluate... More

"Still need people leadership work done at Executive level (for some)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Appears that the semi conductor side of the business is very strong, with lots of potential

Cons

Executive Leadership of Global Operations needs a lot of development of people leadership skills. Still seeing constant moodiness, unwillingness to listen to anyone else’s ideas, massive need to control and approve virtually everything. Does not let the team grow on their own. Very little praise given. Does not share business information. Outwardly displays favorites, which is starting to separate the teams. Blind sides people with “performance issues”, but never mentions anything previous. Appears to be good at the technical aspects of running a factory, but not good at people managing.

Advice to Management

Do not stop looking at the Executive teams true Leadership skills. There is lots of work to be done.

Nov 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for your more than a decade service with us. We are listening to feedback from multiple ways and are using it to drive improvements in the employee experience. We... More

"Great innovation with new strong management"

I worked at Cree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong executive management team
    Fast paced
    Great sales teams

Cons

Execution needs to be precise yet fluid with growth. Invest to grow.

Advice to Management

Grow talent organically and increase promotion from within

Oct 11, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your 5+ years of service with our organization. As we continue to grow we will continue our push to grow and develop our talent internally.

7. "Momentum continuing to build"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear strategy, emphasis on doing things the right way to get results. Balancing culture and results is proving a valuable approach.

Cons

Continuing to play catch up on building scale across all parts of the company, but going in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep at it!

Oct 22, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your current service with our organization and we continue to push forward with our culture evolution. Thanks for the review and we hope you continue to have a positive experience.

"Typical Wayward Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Smart people
    • Untapped potential if they realized the talent on-hand
    • Nice campus
    • Great severance package

Cons

• Upper management fails to value talent
    • Difficult to innovate with many old processes and middle management layers in place. Rapid development isn't in the vocabulary.
    • Layoffs happen every quarter. Employees are constantly wondering who's next.
    • Upper management gives assurances and then walks back on them ("right sizing")

Advice to Management

I've worked at Cree a few years now. I've been through at least a half dozen or more reorganizations and layoffs. It happens all the time. Instead of stabilizing the company and building a better corporate culture, people are always wondering when the next big cut is happening. There's a lot of potential in the new technologies that weren't realized along with the talented people that worked around those ideas. Instead, they were let go because middle management held them up. Too many chefs in the kitchen. Realize the talent at hand rather than constantly laying off people.

Nov 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and we are continuing to focus on our talent and their experience. We focus our efforts towards our strategic goals and are doing so with an evolution in company culture... More

"It's great and I have gained a lot of experience but the pay doesn't match the work."

Current Employee - Materials Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Materials Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, flexible schedule and the on site facilities are good.

Cons

No sign of advancement. Not paid enough for what is done.

Advice to Management

The pay scale is off it needs to be re-evaluated.

Oct 11, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and we are noting feedback from various sources in order to improve the experience for our employees. We will continue to roll out improvements based on feedback.

10. "Semi conductor production work nights"

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

only work 14 days a month. Promote within

Cons

You work 12 hour shifts with rotating weekends

Sep 19, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and we are thrilled that you are happy in your experience with us. We are continuing to evolve and make improvements based on employee feedback.