Cree Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Cree CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The reason I liked working for this company was good people to work for, good benefits and there was plenty room to advance to" (in 22 reviews)

• "Great people and outstanding technology" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "However most managers are good about respecting work life balance" (in 59 reviews)

• "Long hours and no work/life balance" (in 22 reviews)

"Is what you make of it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Renewed focus on internal development, supportive leadership depending on department, and overall challenging goals to meet.

Cons

It is difficult to bridge the gap between manufacturing personnel and supporting office staff. There are simply some things office staff can take advantage of that manufacturing personnel only get a small piece. When you are connected to the revenue generator which is the manufacturing floor, keeping that running well is always a top priority. There are times it feels that it isn't everyone's priority to each support function.

Advice to Management

Continue pushing all groups to support the manufacturing floor as their top priority.

Jun 13, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your detailed feedback and we continue to review these to accelerate the culture change that has taken shape. Thank you for your 8+ years of service with Cree!

2. "Optical Engineering Tech II (R&D)"

Current Employee - Optical Engineering Tech II in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Optical Engineering Tech II in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for growth, great benefits, motivating managers, EV charging station, green company, cares about employees.

Cons

It is a bit too far to drive

Jun 13, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your current service with our organization! We also appreciate the review and hope your experience continues to be a positive one. We are continuing to drive our culture change forward.

3. "Assembly racine wi"

Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Racine, WI

I have been working at Cree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent wage for second shift. Can listen to music on the floor. Break rooms are nice. Hr people are very nice to everyone. Finishing department was great to work in. Supervisor is finishing was the greatest.

Cons

Line leads are bullies. If your not the favorite you get treated poorly even if you work hard. Its acceptable for line leads to be disrespectful and its almost enough to not want to come into work given the decent wage.

Advice to Management

Really look into how your leads are engaging with the assemblers. Its never ok to be a bully. 8 hours worth of training isnt enough either

Jun 13, 2018 – Human Resources

We continue to monitor reviews from this site in combination with internal feedback to generate improvements to the employee experience. Thank you for your continued service!

"The best company I've ever worked for"

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

The new CEO and VP of HR
    Most of the people I work with
    The business
    Flexibility
    The new strategy

Cons

Lack of diversity. You can only find men within Sr. Management, some of which are extremely arrogant and think they are better than anybody else, especially women (see Legal and Finance).
    Benefits could be a lot better.

Advice to Management

I'd highly encourage Greg to re-assess whether he still wants Legal and Finance Sr. Management in his team. Several employees agree with his but are still afraid to say it.

"Process tech"

Current Employee - Process Technician in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with for the most part. Gregg has made some decent changes but this place is a tire fire for the most part.

Cons

There is a lot wrong with this company. Read the reviews on this site. Most of the bad ones are true. My main complaint is with how employees are paid. The grade levels here are absurdly large. My current pay grade has a range of 20k. My former grade before a promotion was ~ the same range. The difference between the 2 levels was ~ a 10% shift. So you could be a level 1 making the same as a much higher level. Or vica verca. It all depends on where you fall into the range. I also got no where near 10% when promoted. It really boils down to when you started at the company. You can be doing the same job as a counterpart but be making drastically different depending on when you were hired. There is a bi-modal distribution of salaries with in cree. And at the rate cree gives out raises you will never catch up. There needs to be a salary adjustment as was done with operators. Also promotions here don’t come with any noticeable financial compensation. It’s really just a title to put on your resume. That might be changing but doesn’t help the people who had them years ago.

Advice to Management

You guys have a list of complaints most people sent Greg keep fixing them. Only reason didn’t give 1 star was CEO. He seems to be trying. Former CEO ruined this company with years of mismanagement.

6. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

All the people there are great

Cons

The bureaucracy is stifling to progress

"Get in and get out"

I worked at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a pay check. Work here until you can find a better opportunity.

Cons

Great technology. You get exposure to many different things because most people are doing the job of 2 or 3 people. The pay doesn't make up for this. Annual raise will be the same no matter how you perform. Learn what you can and get out of there.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you. That's a win win.

"Good- Getting Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Cree for 5 years now and have enjoyed it. I work in the Lighting unit. I love the work-life balance, compensation, and colleagues. Employees are offered a competitive salary and ESPP and Stocks. I have been given opportunities to work on several challenging opportunities which has helped me grow. Cree also has a good tuition reimbursement program and encourages purusing higher degree. The new CEO has a track record of turning businesses around and his strategy has been working so far. Employee morale has improved and culture is getting better.

Cons

Lighting business has been down because the management focussed on short-term goals by bringing too many products too quickly without putting quality management systems in place. Silo'd culture. Many engineers have left in the last couple of years.
    No talent development initiatives.

Advice to Management

Top leaders should follow the new CEO's footsteps and be open & honest about goals & strategies. Clearly lay out the strategy to employees. Improve collaboration among cross-functional and cross-business unit teams. Many leaders have been with the company for 10+ years and despite their dismal performance in the last 3 years, still enjoy being in the leadership positions and draw fat salaries. Change is needed and the new CEO has been in the process of doing just that. Whoever doesn't espouse his values should get off the train.

Apr 23, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your 5+ years with us! Your review highlight some of the initiatives we continue to work on. We read every review and take feedback to put into practice for future improvements. Thank... More

"Nice Company to Work"

I have been working at Cree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined company as contractor and turned into full time employee. People never differentiated me as a contractor. People respect what you do. After New CEO took over, He made sure there is no bullying. I believe company is going in right direction. Benefits are good.

Cons

Work Life Balance, Its especially with the department that I work. We wish we had little more work force. We have more managers than people who actually Work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do. Our Planning and Forecasting Can be better w.r.t. Lighting Business. Following Process and developing process in certain areas can be a key focus

"Great workers, Incompetent Management"

I worked at Cree full-time

Pros

The crystal growth department has some of the most intelligent, hard working, capable scientists, engineers, and R&D operators that I have ever worked with. I had the pleasure of working along side of them for 3 years. I absolutely loved what I was doing at Cree, in part because I was able to work with some great people. There are few things more gratifying than breaking down an experimental crystal that is virtually flawless. Don't get me wrong, the stress was incredible. However, those high pressures forges strong bonds of comradery. If you can make it at Cree for a few years, you can make it anywhere.

Cons

As with most companies, the disconnect between upper management and those that actually get the work done is breathtaking. My first manager at Cree was an absolute nightmare. This individual's only goal was to climb the corporate latter. She had no concept of what it meant to teach, nurture, guide, or shield those that she was managing. The worst part is that the company rewards her for it.
    Work/life balance is virtually nonexistent. Many individuals can't enjoy their PTO because they are constantly checking in on their projects during their time away. That's assuming that people actually take time off.
    Company culture encourages workers to blame problems on someone else, rather than working together to prevent that problem from happening again. My second manager, who was exceptional , once told me "make it someone else's problem". Not his brightest moment, but it was the best advice he could have given me at the time. Additionally, rather than guiding the scientists down the road of innovation, management had them focusing all of their time trying to squeeze 0.1% more out of production yields. In doing so, Cree was left behind as the world leader in SiC growth and development.
    The worst thing Cree ever did was make me doubt myself.

Advice to Management

If Gregg Lowe is reading these reviews, and I think he does, my advice is to go down to the grower floor and speak to those that are on the front lines. Maybe do an "Undercover Boss" thing. Build a crucible or load a grower. Experience the chaos that is Crystal Growth. I don't know what your plans are for Cree but if you want to be back on top let the scientist do what they do best, innovate. And get rid of the toxic management while you are at it.