Cree Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Cree CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Improving culture & great people" (in 18 reviews)

• "Good people to work with for the most part" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work Life Balance, Its especially with the department that I work" (in 60 reviews)

• "No work life balance is expected, there is a strong push to manage by fear" (in 22 reviews)

"Assembler"

I worked at Cree full-time

Pros

Working at Cree has its many advantages. The hours are set scheduled. The training was very informative and easy. You were given three breaks. The site also has a on-site workout facility.

Cons

The only con is that you couldn’t leave the site for lunch.

Nov 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for your service with our organization. We are thrilled you had a positive experience with us.

2. "Ok company"

Former Employee - Process Technician in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Durham, NC

I worked at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company, good work environment.

Cons

Deadlines put pressure on shift managers and when numbers are not met, production floor employees seem to get the bad end of things. Don't feel like my job is secure unless you are hired on through the company.

Advice to Management

Hire temp employees quicker.

3. "Salary"

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

The Benefits the provide are good

Cons

The way you accrue time off

Advice to Management

Be fair sided

"Amazing people, amazing time to be here"

Former Employee - Process Sustaining Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Process Sustaining Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, on the job training, amazing future outlook, many (not all) wonderful people everywhere you look, you self-manage yourself during the day (no one tells you what to do), you're given a lot of power (and responsibility) in your position over time. People rely on you to have the answers and call the shots.
    ESPP had netted me almost 15K this year.
    Good work is rewarded if management sees it.

Cons

Long hours (50 expected per week, often work more though). Usually need some availability outside of work (as a process owner). The cash bonus structure is a mystery. some management decisions have been short-sighted in the past. staffing is usually tight in engineering. feels like cost-cutting is an overapplied decision-making consideration (not sure what can be done about that, since that's business)

Advice to Management

Hire some more engineers to take some load off the ones who are here (because they might leave), pay fairly (consider and apply fair market value) to retain talent.
    Seek out and demonstrate appreciation for those that deserve it (almost everyone deserves it).

Dec 17, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your detailed review and items that we should look into in order to improve your experience. We evaluate feedback from each review and use it to guide improvements. Thank you for your... More

"Great Place"

I worked at Cree full-time

Pros

A great place to work right out of school

Cons

I do not really have any cons

Jan 15, 2019 – Human Resources

We are thrilled that you were happy with your experience! Thank you for the review.

"engineering Manger"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work, Good Management, Great technology

Cons

Less focus on the critical and important future power semiconductor technology

Advice to Management

SIC has less focus in 2017

Dec 17, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your 3+ years of service with our organization. We appreciate the review and continue to work hard to provide the best employee experience. We continue to evaluate feedback via multiple... More

"Still "Almost There""

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many great co-workers.
    Many great managers.
    Goal-oriented company that rewards innovative solutions.

Cons

Everyone still works within their silo.

Advice to Management

All of the training and development of our company's leaders is a step in the right direction, however, everyone still seems to only work within their silo. HR, IT, Engineering, Operations, R&D, EHS all have their own goals and performance indexes and they don't always fit well or play nice together. Build and celebrate more cross-functional teams that work together to solve problems instead of dealing different ones to different departments to own. Many employees are unaware of the cross-functional teams that currently exist as there is little or no communication regarding their successes. Ensuring that departmental goals support our company goals, and sharing the success and even the opportunities for improvement we have will help support us all pulling in the same direction and sharing resources to make the business better.

Nov 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and current service with our organization. Your feedback is important for us to continue to improve the experience for our employees. We will use this feedback in addition... More

"Corporate Survey and Communication"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Cree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Gregg Lowe and the new Sr Management

Cons

The rest of the Sr Management

Advice to Management

I know that Gregg wants to change the culture and want people to bring issues up as they arise. But guess what? the big elephant in the room still exists, and this is not easy to fix. Retaliation fear will always be there. Even if Gregg promises it won't. RDU is a small area, everybody knows everybody. If I said what I really though of my manager, maybe I'd still be hired but I wouldn't be able to find another job in this area because HE knows EVERYBODY in this industry. So please be mindful of that. People won't throw their bosses under the bus if these individuals will then kill their careers outside Cree.

Oct 11, 2018 – Human Resources

We appreciate your review and your 8+ years of service with our organization. We continue to make progress in the evolution of our culture and are seeing great progress. We continue to evaluate... More

"Still need people leadership work done at Executive level (for some)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Appears that the semi conductor side of the business is very strong, with lots of potential

Cons

Executive Leadership of Global Operations needs a lot of development of people leadership skills. Still seeing constant moodiness, unwillingness to listen to anyone else’s ideas, massive need to control and approve virtually everything. Does not let the team grow on their own. Very little praise given. Does not share business information. Outwardly displays favorites, which is starting to separate the teams. Blind sides people with “performance issues”, but never mentions anything previous. Appears to be good at the technical aspects of running a factory, but not good at people managing.

Advice to Management

Do not stop looking at the Executive teams true Leadership skills. There is lots of work to be done.

Nov 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for your more than a decade service with us. We are listening to feedback from multiple ways and are using it to drive improvements in the employee experience. We... More

"Great innovation with new strong management"

I worked at Cree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong executive management team
    Fast paced
    Great sales teams

Cons

Execution needs to be precise yet fluid with growth. Invest to grow.

Advice to Management

Grow talent organically and increase promotion from within

Oct 11, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your 5+ years of service with our organization. As we continue to grow we will continue our push to grow and develop our talent internally.