Cree Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Cree CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The reason I liked working for this company was good people to work for, good benefits and there was plenty room to advance to" (in 23 reviews)

• "Good people to work with for the most part" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work Life Balance, Its especially with the department that I work" (in 61 reviews)

• "No work life balance is expected, there is a strong push to manage by fear" (in 22 reviews)

"Lots of Opportunity for Promotions Within the Organization"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work / Life Balance; Challenging; Support from Management; People, Respectful Environment

Cons

A better PTO program. It's okay but there's room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Continue treating employees with respect and remain supportive

2. "Cree-Racine"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Managment genuinely cares about employees. They actively seek ways to make employees feel heard by asking for suggestions and then taking the time to review, consider and make efforts to work towards something better.

Great benefits, opportunities for career growth, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

We have come a long way from where we were a year ago, so the only "con" for me would be the lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Please continue doing what you've been doing the past year, it really has made a big difference.

3. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, good benefits

Cons

Most job openings are in technical fields, which means limited sales openings

4. "Congrats on the sale of the Lighting Business. A new lease on life for the once great lighting operation!"

Former Employee - Operations in Sturtevant, WI
    Former Employee - Operations in Sturtevant, WI

I worked at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great if you’re a semiconductor engineer.

Cons

Working for a company with senior leadership that knows nothing about electronic product manufacturing is painful. The value destroyed was sad. Today’s news of the sale gives this great Racine-based operation a new lease on life.

Advice to Management

Stick with semiconductors.

"Much better than advertised"

I worked at Cree full-time

Pros

- Opportunity to get your hands dirty with as much as you're willing to take on
    - Crazy growth potential. Cree likes to double down on internal candidates and pushes good people into roles that might be a "stretch." A quick glance on LinkedIn proves that they are fully invested in this approach.
    - Opportunity to carve out a unique role for yourself within the organization.

Cons

- Work/Life balance can be a challenge. Even at the lowest levels of the organization, you'll be putting in more than 40 hours a week.
    - Some leadership and middle management are still clinging to "old Cree" and relish the opportunity to shoot down the new ideology whenever others aren't looking
    - It's simply a challenge to be a $1.5B company who competes with companies that have far more resources. You'll always be expected to do more with less
    - Comp and leveling are all over the place. Some people get lucky and get monster offers. Often they'll end up at a higher level for no apparent reason. Others will get insane low-ball offers and comp intentionally avoids making corrections after that person has "proved" their worth to the org.

Advice to Management

- Fixing work/life balance should be a top priority. Sending urgent emails on Saturday afternoon isn't going to help you retain good people, even if you do promote them

- Top talent wants to be paid like top talent

"At the surface great! But below the surface....."

Current Employee - Facilities in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Facilities in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/home balance, cree cafe, health center, discount program, and benefits (stock, 401k, medical dental and vision, home and auto insurance discount). Great co-workers in my department. It’s pretty cool how they do company night out, (ie: Carolina hurricanes tickets, trick or treat 5k, lunch and learns).

Cons

Initial training was sufficient, however, for a more comprehensive training in my department was terrible. From understanding the process and equipment to the programs used there was practically zero training.

Company provides tools unfortunately there is never enough budget to get the proper tools or equipment I need to do my job efficiently and 20-30% of my day is running around looking for what I need.

Company spends $500,000 on a building paint job but zero money on updating the infrastructure.

A lot of politics in senior to upper management that has workers often feeling like they have to pick a side.

Advice to Management

Managers mindset is to survive another day. This includes putting out “fires” constantly. Very reactive not proactive. Equipment that was sufficient 8 years ago is not sufficient anymore. “It’s not in budget” is a real bummer to hear from bosses especially when you know that what you are pitching is best long term and makes sense financially.

The number one asset is your workforce. Respect them and help them do their job and they will do right by you.

7. "Trending Upward! Focused Leadership paying off"

Current Employee - SGA in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - SGA in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

renewed commitment to the employees; keeping each business unit focused on what it can control; recognizing that employees can teach mgmt too

Cons

still some pockets of folks that have not "gotten with the program"

Advice to Management

Stay on path you are on. Keep investing in the employees, and you will be rewarded.

"Great technology company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is serving major industry trends in LEDs, Automotive and telecom infrastructure markets with its SiC and GaN products. It has significant technical and leadership experience to continue its growth for years to come. New CEO has made significant positive changes in resetting both strategy and culture for Cree.

Cons

Cree has more work to do in gaining the needed infrastructure and scale to serve its target markets.

"So-so"

I worked at Cree full-time

Pros

Great industry
    Decent pay
    Good benefits

Cons

Inconsistent follow through and training

"Bad company"

Former Employee - Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and long breaks

Cons

No stability, lots of lay offs