Cree Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Cree CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The reason I liked working for this company was good people to work for, good benefits and there was plenty room to advance to" (in 22 reviews)

• "Improving culture & great people" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work Life Balance, Its especially with the department that I work" (in 60 reviews)

• "Long hours and no work/life balance" (in 22 reviews)

"Machine Operator"

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

CREE is a great company

Cons

There is no downside

Jul 6, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for your current service with our organization! We are glad you are having a great experience working here.

2. "Semi conductor production work nights"

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

only work 14 days a month. Promote within

Cons

You work 12 hour shifts with rotating weekends

Sep 19, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and we are thrilled that you are happy in your experience with us. We are continuing to evolve and make improvements based on employee feedback.

3. "good"

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

good place to work, new management

Cons

lack of communication, not open

4. "Culture Improving"

Former Employee - Development Manager in Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Goleta, CA

I worked at Cree full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee culture was improving. Finally implementing new productivity tools.

Cons

Little emphasis on advancement. Looking at short term versus long term.

Sep 19, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and your more than 10 years of service with our organization. Our culture shift continues to improve as we focus in on internal mobility within the company. We use this... More

5. "Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

Internal opportunities, RSUs, rapid company growth. Improving culture & great people!

Cons

Growing pains, tactical disconnects to strategic goals. Inefficient methods still in place.

Advice to Management

Bottom up continuous improvement needed & overall compensation for hourly employees needs to come up. Sustained employee engagement infrastructure to maintain momentum!

Sep 17, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and we agree that we are heading in the right direction. We are continuing to evolve while providing improvements to the overall employee experience.

6. "Buyer"

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

Co-workers are great. Beautiful campus. No tuition reimbursement. Onsite gym.

Cons

Management is always fluctuating, making the same large business choices following proven poor strategies for their reputation. Management is a complete power play and little interest as you as a person, little work life balance

Advice to Management

Need Management training on communication and motivational skills. You can have a great team and a poor boss will devour their interest.

Sep 20, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and your current service with our organization. We do offer tuition reimbursement as part of our total rewards offerings so be sure to check with your HR representative for... More

"Exciting times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

Excellent technology and technologists in silicon carbide and GaN. Exciting market growth potential where Cree has a clear leadership position. Great changes in HR are energizing and motivating the work force

Cons

Normal work/life challenges associated with a growing company

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work on employee engagement

Aug 27, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your current service with our organization! We hope your experience continues to be a positive one. We continue to make progress on improving the experience for all our employees. Thank... More

"Favoritism and Disconnect"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Cree is involved in exciting technologies and works with impressive companies with cutting edge ambitions. The new CEO, Greg Lowe seems to know how the company is supposed to run and has some really good ideas.

- Upper management and the CEO have taken a few polls that employees have been able to anonymously respond to. This was a really good idea and should be increased. It will root out production and culture issues and give the company clear feedback. The feedback given by supervisors and middle management can sometimes be sugar coated.

Cons

-Middle Management is largely incompetent
    - The pay, put simply, is not enough when compared to the market value for the type of work being done on the FAB floor.
    - There is a “know the right people” kind of promotion environment present at CREE. Employees don’t have a career path available to them and that de incentivizes work and growth.
    - SUPPLIES. CREE very REGULARLY runs out of materials and gowning supplies. I have no idea why it’s so difficult to give people who are willing to work to create your wafers for you the supplies necessary to do so. This is a stupid problem to have and should not still be plaguing a company of this size or revenue.

Advice to Management

Listen to the talent on the front lines, the lowest operators and material handlers, they know WAY more about the real picture than the supervisors and if empowered to do so, they can solve real problems for you.

In essence, please take more company wide polls via email. It gives people a say and will allow the company to diagnose problems, strengths and weaknesses at twice the speed it does now.

Aug 27, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback both on our internal survey and on this review. We will take your feedback and continue to make improvements to provide the best experience possible. We continue to make... More

9. "Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at Cree full-time

Pros

Changes in leadership has driven a significant change in company culture; the new leaders are great models for executives

Cons

Wish the leadership change would have been years ago.

Aug 13, 2018 – Human Resources

We appreciate your review and current service with our organization. We are continuing to take steps forward in evolving our company culture. Thank you for your review and we hope you continue having... More

"Helping keep cutting edge and complex systems stay ahead of competition."

Current Employee - Facilities Technician in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Facilities Technician in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, stock discounts, bonus and incentives, very complex and progressive technology and equipment, management and co workers, company provided foot ware, great work/home balance, management and supervisors very approachable. The pay is very good. Everyone is held accountable. If you do your job well then there is no problems, if you drag your feet and do a job with minimal effort then you will be approached. No one breathing down your neck micro-managing you unless someone needs that.

Cons

Tight deadlines, minimal room for error, have to walk close to a mile away for a cigarette break and only a 10 minute window to do that so you better be in shape!

Advice to Management

I read the reviews people post about how negative this place is, or was. I did not witness the old regime and their daily practice. I can only comment on what I’ve seen. Everything I’ve seen looks like progression in the right direction. This helps ensure continued growth and rising stock valuations. Cheers everyone!

Aug 6, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your detailed feedback and your thoughts are indicative of our continued progress of shifting our company culture. We hope your experience continues to be a positive one!