Cree Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Cree Chairman, President, and CEO Chuck Swoboda
Chuck Swoboda

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The reason I liked working for this company was good people to work for, good benefits and there was plenty room to advance to (in 20 reviews)

• Great people that work along side you (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and no work/life balance (in 55 reviews)

• too many overworked people, no work-life balance, not much development of their emplyees (in 21 reviews)

"It is always an exciting day at Cree"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coming in everyday, helping a company create a product that is groundbreaking, makes this company a very exciting place to work. My experience here is that people are focused on doing a great job and making exceptional products. There is a strong culture for innovation and you will be hard pressed to meet a more passionate group of individuals.
    If you like working and getting the job done, without being micro-managed, this is also a great place to work. As long as i'm performing well I am trusted to do what needs to be done and i'm not checked up on.
    Recently there has been an increase in employee feedback avenues, and it has been terrific. I would encourage leadership to continue to expand those avenues and continue to listen. I have seen Cree change, on a dime, to fix mistakes that have been made.
    Finally the stock options are spectacular and the benefits are extremely competitive. You will be hard pressed to find better out there.

Cons

Cree was known for growing rapidly and for there being a lot of upward mobility. Recently the company has struggled and advancement is not as strong as it used to be. Some departments are great at internal opportunities, others still need work.
    It is often said that what got Cree to this point is not necessarily what it will take to get Cree to 3 Billion. We need to follow that example, as there are several members of the leadership team that prevent growth, mainly due to fear of losing their positions. If Cree wants to grow and compete we need to figure out that solution, and fast.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad eggs and bring in some good eggs. You will need to replace some of the leadership in those areas if Cree wants to stay competitive. Keep up your employee feedback avenues and continue to expand those. I love that you are taking initiative and listening to employees feedback, don't stop!

"Challenging, but lots of really smart people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of really smart people to work with who are dedicated to what they do. If you love what you do and have a strong work ethic, it's great to be around so many people who feel the same way. Cafe, gym, great benefits and smart, fun people. People without good work ethic will not make it. This is not a place to "clock in-clock out" and not care about the results of what you're doing. I've heard people say that Cree doesn't have work-life balance, but they absolutely do. If you work hard, are smart and get the job done, you can have work life balance, you just have to manage it. Cree isn't an "easy" place to work, but that is honestly why I love it! Challenging is fun! Easy is boring and places where it's too "easy", people end up leaving anyway because they aren't happy and get bored. If you're not challenged, you're not going to be happy long-term.

Cons

There are some struggles with management, but nothing I haven't seen before. I think Cree has some growing pains with managers who are really smart and know the job, but need some help with the managing of people part. Communication is a problem.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Do what you can to hear from employees and give some communication back. Communication gaps lead to lots of problems, questions and uneasy feelings.

3. "Customer service representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Racine, WI

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cree is a great company to work for. They care about their employees and pay them competitively.

Cons

Even though it's not ideal, starting from the bottom and working your way up is ideal!

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Let your employees know what's going on in the company, good or bad.

4. "Cree has great benefits"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Cree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer a starting of 5 weeks paid vacation

Cons

They are very distant corporate wise to their employees.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management of this company

"Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Racine, WI

I have been working at Cree (Less than a year)

Pros

a very friendly and inclusive environment and culture, with tremendous growth opportunities due to the growth of the industry and company

Cons

none that I can see

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Process technician"

Former Employee - Process Technician in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cree (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people good benefit's great company

Cons

Long hours, video camera every where you fell like big brother is watching everything you do.

7. "Fab Worker II"

Former Employee - Fab Worker II in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Fab Worker II in Durham, NC

Pros

The reason I liked working for this company was good people to work for, good benefits and there was plenty room to advance to.

Cons

The downsize was working a 12 hour shift, but I got use to it . And unfortunately I know longer work for this company

Advice to Management

They are doing a really great job in my book. Just keep trying your employees like they do matter and have and input in the company

8. "Growth happens hard sonerimes"

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Does a lot for its employees. Summer parties for all of your family, Black tie winter party for employee and guest, restaurant quality cafe, full service fitness center.
    Excellent growth potential. Exciting opportunities.
    Not boring.

Cons

Needs to improve longer term planning.
    Growing pains.

Advice to Management

Newer management is making hard but good decisions that will allow company to continue to grow. Older management could benefit by accepting new ways to get old things done and by seeing the old way isn't necessarily the best way.

"Cree was a great place to work with great people. There are amazing things happening at the company."

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cree takes good care of their employees. Good benefits, amazing gym on site with classes, basketball and racquetball courts, etc. Also a cafeteria on site. Management was helpful and supportive. Company is growing and part of an exciting new trend in lighting.

Cons

This is a manufacturing facility so it is running 24/7. You will have to work some weekends.

"Faster paced company going through growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineerg in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineerg in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No shortage of demand in sight

Cons

Culture still in development with immature management...

Advice to Management

Must define and develop a culture and feeling of team/family/...