Creighton University Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 17, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rev. Daniel S. Hendrickson, SJ, PhD

Pros
Cons
  • Retirement benefits are less attractive than at other institutions of higher education, which is a grave concern for me (in 4 reviews)

• small community, no room for growth (in 2 reviews)

1. "programmer analyst"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Creighton University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very family-friendly and hospitable to work-life balance. It is an organization committed to service to others and recognizing the whole person.

Cons

pay less than market value

2. "Summer Conference Coordinator"

Former Employee - Summer Conference Coordinator in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Summer Conference Coordinator in Omaha, NE

I worked at Creighton University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch, and housing for the summer

Cons

Can be disorganized at times

3. "Athletics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

easy work place, and fun events

Cons

busy work all the time

"Great benefits. ...different environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

There are truly good people that work here. They do give some great benefits, like the Christmas break and free tuition for Creighton.

Cons

Work life balance, at least for my area, is not there. Expectations and demands don't meet the pay. Seems that people get put in positions based on degrees and not ability. A lot of people in positions they cannot do but due to a degree they just are able to delegate what they can't do. ..which is most of their work. Creighton continuously reminds you of every thing at they give you and that you won't find a better work place. They also try and make you feel guilty for being paid because they apparently are always worried about money. You spend a lot of time reviewing your responsibilities and documenting how you spend your day, but nobody can tell you why they always want to know.

Advice to Management

Human resources is a tool not your management. Stop trying to inflict fear of the university needing to save money and then send a message that another high level person was hired. Hire more middle and lower level staff so the work can be equally distributed. I understand degrees are important but work and life experience is also valuable. You have people doing jobs that people with beautiful titles and higher pay are supposed to do.

6. "Important Work but not Always Valued"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Omaha, NE

I worked at Creighton University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy going atmosphere with plenty of activities and events on campus.
    Tuition discount is excellent if not a little tight.
    I was able to get my start in the professional world and slowly gained more responsibilities as I earned the trust of my boss.

Cons

The pay is not fantastic.
    The benefits are mediocre which is a shame since there is a hospital, clinic, and dental school all on campus.
    Work we do is important and has potential for strong impact but is often seen as an afterthought to the current moment/life situation of employee or boss. I wish that professionalism was stressed more than it is.

Advice to Management

Realize that every department at the University has the potential to have a huge impact - and hold them accountable for the decisions they make.

7. "Great students; extremely disorganized."

Former Contractor - Instructor in Omaha, NE
    Former Contractor - Instructor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Creighton University as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the overall feel of the university; students and faculty were friendly and welcoming. The campus itself is beautiful in any season.

Cons

The office I worked in was extremely disorganized. It took over a week to get some sort of ID, and until that time, I had asked every day about someone helping me get my issue resolved. No one in my office seemed remotely aware of the fact that for my first two weeks of work, none of my forms were being pushed through and I wasn't given any extra help despite this. My entire experienced would be represented by those first two weeks. Constant disorganization.

Advice to Management

Give people the resources they actually need when starting a new job in a timely manner.

8. "Worthless Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Creighton University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No micromanagement, large personal office, quiet environment, ability to work independently, interaction with medical students, ok health insurance

Cons

no direction, the department is costing the univeristy tons of money and the university refuses to do anything about it, low pay, horrible management, invisible administrator

Advice to Management

the upper management in the university needs to open their eyes to the money sucking department that they are keeping a float

9. "Right hand doesn't know what the left is doing."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Creighton University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love working with students and staff; most faculty are great too. Depending on department you are in hours can be flexible which is another perk.

Cons

NO communication between management & staff; very top heavy, too many chefs making the soup. Raises are non-existent or so small (1-2%) that if you work here for more than a couple of years you are paid less than the new person just hired.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES!! Quit paying millions of dollars for an 'expert opinion'; take advantage of the talent you have on campus and those that are invested in seeing CU be successful. And for Pete's sake give someone besides upper management a raise!

10. "Good in spite of itself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Creighton University part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People can be great, depending on what department, school, college or division you work in.

Cons

Too much variation in management style from place to place. Top-heavy - there are at least 100 kinds of provost, vice-presidents and executive directors. Ego is unavoidable, evidenced by a private bathroom for a VP, an executive director who claims to need three offices, deans who want Macs for clerical staff when Windows boxes would be have the cost, and so-called revenue producers who use corporate credit cards to get around policy. To be clear, nothing at all sketchy in a criminal sense. Just human nature running to petty excess, like leaks you decide to live with rather than fix.

Advice to Management

I don't give money to Creighton because I won't see it wasted by under managed, competing, scheming, upper academic & business managers. Best advice: study how George C. Marshall managed his generals in WW2. Go and do likewise.

11. "Great place to work, if I was planning to retire in the next decade"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Great people work here; I felt like part of the family everyday when I got to work.
    I loved my manager and senior management; they are great people.
    Benefits were great: I got a masters degree essentially for free; paid time off and holidays are fantastic.
    Flexibility in work hours for many positions.

Cons

Average employee age is approximately 50-55. Ideas from those under the age of 40 are ignored; I was told that I was "too young" several times when presenting ideas. Good 'ol boys club is alive and well here.
    Afraid of change.
    Salaries are well-below average; benefits are suppose to make up for low pay. (I make $10,000 more now after a lateral move).
    There is no potential for promotion or advancement for 99% of positions.
    Decisions from management take 3-6+ months.

Advice to Management

Listen to new employees' ideas. Don't be afraid of change or youth. There are better ways of doing something; never think you are the best...someone is always better.