Crestline Hotels & Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
James Carroll

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good benefits for full time employees" (in 7 reviews)

• "The only pro from a GM standpoint are the health insurance benefits" (in 6 reviews)

1. "MIT"

Current Employee - MIT in Staunton, VA
    Current Employee - MIT in Staunton, VA

I have been working at Crestline Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Crestline offers great benefits and career growth

Cons

I can't think of any

"Boxed up, held back, underpaid and micro managed."

Current Employee - Guest Service, Operations
    Current Employee - Guest Service, Operations

I have been working at Crestline Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance is on par or better than some other properties I've worked.

Cons

Micro managing at its finest! Unless you are lucky enough to work for a goal-oriented GM you will be expected to preform mundane tasks to fit in with management that have nothing to do with your job or financial well-being of the property.

At my property there are seven of us in the lobby during morning from 6 or 7am until 9:30. SEVEN. Rules forbid me listing any positions or titles but we are mostly are upper management and some mid level. We all stand at different posts in the lobby. For what purpose? We are told to engage the guests. Many of us need to prepare for our loaded work day. We can't get started until 9:30. It's the song and dance of micro management at this company. Does anyone have goals to meet at this company? How anyone gets any work done here, I don’t know.

The hourly associates think so low of our management style. The employee opinion surveys were so bad last year a team of corporate personnel had to be flown in to do damage control. To avoid risking record-low approval ratings for a second year, the company switched to a new branded employee survey- one that doesn’t have any specific questions on the most critical departments: **, ******** manager, and the ** manager. I’ve also heard reports that the ** manager fixed the results of the employee survey by giving deemed “problem associates” (team members that would give low ratings) an even more simplified, basic version.

Two weeks out of the year we will have potlucks or some other type of get together in hopes that for the other 50 weeks working for this company is not spent trying to get out. I often wonder what department backgrounds many of these managers came from because they don’t seem to have a clue how to treat people.

They routinely put hiring freezes on desperately needed positions when people quit because they are cutting the budget to the bone, all while spending money on things we don’t need! Do we really need a neon sign; and it’s inside, it’s not even on the outside! We know where we work!

Retention at the company is non-existent. I’ve seen many team members leave that I thought could be management material. Crestline will gladly let any, and I mean any team member walk. They don’t realize or likely are just too cheap pay good people to stay. I’ve never heard of someone trying to quit this company and given more money to stay. This concept could never be understood as raises are not really in Crestline’s DNA. Within a few years you will reach “the ceiling” of your pay rate, you can never make any more money at your position. I think it’s a great example of what it’s like to work for them.

Boxed up, held back, underpaid and micro managed.

Advice to Management

Pay your team members to stay. Erase the "ceiling". There shouldn't be a cap on the kind of money you're paying the team members and managers.

3. "Front Office Manager"

I worked at Crestline Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Super Easy Job - not a lot of expectations in terms of come to work on time, and show up on days when GM and AGM dont want to to work.

Cons

Not an innovative company and GM was not managed well. Literally would come in at 10AM and leave at 2-3 PM and never spent time to develop managers.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees

4. "Soulless corporate ghouls"

I worked at Crestline Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Insurance and the hardworking associates.

Cons

People are fired for little or no reason. Culture of fear. Mendacity. Too much micromanagement and layers of management. People are expected to teach themselves with no support or training or be fired.

Advice to Management

Your business model may deliver $ short term to your owners, but the insincerity shines through, and associates feel it.

5. "Housekeeping Outlook"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Crestline Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Home Life balance, PTO, Medical Benefits, Employee appreciation weeks, Luncheons,

Cons

Time Limits, Expected to Stay Past working hours, short handed, no room for growth

6. "Poor Management Practices"

I worked at Crestline Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Some hotel rate discounts available

Cons

Terrible work life balance
    Low morale
    Micromanaging
    Limited tools to perform job duties
    Corporate Favortism
    Deceiving employees during ownership change
    Unchecked behaviors of general managers

Advice to Management

When a hotel goes through an ownership change, the management company should be forthcoming with information instead of instilling false hope in employees that an ownership change is "unlikely to occur." This was exactly what was told by one general manager who was then moved to a different property by corporate indicating that the change was, in fact, very likely as it was announced after his departure. The actions of this company during said ownership change continued to reflect the same apathy of the general manager when employees were told they would lose all PTO hours. However, Crestline later paid out the hours after overwhelming backlash. The issue with paying out PTO and keeping employees in the dark to quell dissent would have not happened with a company that truly valued its employees, even if they were being absorbed by another company. Moves like this were a slap in the face to those who dedicated years of hard work and underpaid, unappreciated service.

Also, the same general manager was a corporate-backed tyrant who relished in his threat and execution of firing managers and supervisors. He used his position to intimidate employees and ended careers for petty reasons. Complaints of his behavior went ignored because he used that same intimidation to influence work climate surveys. He was also very good about appeasing line level employees with luncheons and small incentives, mostly before said surveys.

7. "Sales Manager"

I worked at Crestline Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Reasonable Sales Goals were given

Cons

Poor Bonuses were not properly established across all brands

"There are better places to work"

I worked at Crestline Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Pay is competitive depending on your location and position (this has less to do with Crestline and more with the property owners).

Cons

- Bad culture within the individual hotel
    - Poor Management on Property
    - Terrible PTO policy - only a certain amount of hours are carried over each year but vacation can be difficult to get approved.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees when they contact HR particularly when patterns emerge regarding the same manager/employee causing good employees to leave for alternatives.
     - If there is a consistent problem relayed by multiple employees take a look at the source of the complaints.
    - Conduct unplanned visits to see how the staff really behaves when corporate is not around.
    - Take action, don't just cover problems with a band-aid if you truly value people
    - Set firm guidelines in a job description of what is expected within the position an employee should understand what their responsibilities are when agreeing to work for a particular company and not be reprimanded when following those guidelines.
    - Revise the PTO policy, if hourly employees are not permitted to take vacation for most of the year because of the needs of the business or staffing issues they should be aloud to carry over hours to the next year, not forced to lose them or take an unplanned vacation that is not a true vacation.

9. "Slow to grow but fun"

I have been working at Crestline Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Very strategic on how they do things.

Cons

You need to be borderline harassing to get any sort of raise. Extremely stingy in that respect.

10. "Find a different property management company to work for"

I worked at Crestline Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

I gained valuable experiences I can utilize throughout the duration of my career from those willing to teach. Your department begins to feel like work family.

Cons

Overall poor training. Not everyone in leadership positions are willing to teach properly. Instead of patiently teaching they rather show you once and expect you to catch on from there. The correct or better way to do things changes on who you ask that day and of course their way is the only way you should be doing something. Questions not always encouraged and valuable learning experiences are skipped over and ignored for the sake of "doing it right", not enough time, or even personal space.
    Not the best environment for growth and development. Expect for HR to intervene in personal concerns you bring to your department head.