Crew Carwash Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Crew Carwash CEO Bill Dahm
Bill Dahm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Strict hiring standards means you work with great people" (in 13 reviews)

• "Management takes great strides to get feedback from associates ans lower level management to create a better work environment" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Goal-Oriented/Driven Company"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Broad Ripple, IN
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Broad Ripple, IN

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Lots of advancement opportunities- Manager Trainee, Shift Manager, Assistant Manager, Operations Manager, Lead Operations Manager, General Manager
    2. Great pay and bonuses for Managers/Manager Trainees make 40,000+
    3. Associates pay starts off much higher than most companies
    4. The company really cares for their people. They take care of you whether you're a manager, associate, support team, or project team. They want every one of their members to reach their full potential. They make sure you are always happy working for them.
    5. Tuition reimbursement for associates/managers in college.
    6. Loan Repayment Program for graduates. ($1200 annually)
    7. Moving up the chain quickly is something they do very well with the managers. You get training from all the managers whether that be the other shift managers or it could be the area director.
    8. Always trying to find a place to build a new location and always improving current locations.
    9. Job Security

Cons

1. Work hours per week might be a little longer than what you want sometimes but that comes with any job. You do what you got to do to succeed and grow.
    2. If you don't like really hot weather or cold weather, this job probably isn't for you if you're planning on working at a location.

Nov 14, 2018 – Management Recruiter

We greatly appreciate your honest feedback! Thank you for letting us know all you appreciate about Crew!

2. "Great company that takes care of their employees"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in West Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Crew Carwash part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management
    Fun work environment
    Base pay is great
    Constant opportunities for bonuses and extra money

Cons

Working conditions can be harsh but they try to keep you as comfortable as possible
    Sometimes fast track managers can disrupt team chemistry, but not always
    Some company wide policies get passed even though the response is overwhelmingly negative, such as not letting employees carry pocket knives anymore

Advice to Management

Keep promoting managers internally and try and preserve team chemistry at stores as much as possible. Performance goes down when fast track managers are brought in and do not gel with the team so keep promoting managers from existing associates, although you already do a great job at that!

Nov 14, 2018 – Management Recruiter

We're glad you feel the management team at your location is great! We strive to provide a great working environment.

3. "CREW"

I have been working at Crew Carwash part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Crew car wash is awesome bro

Cons

You should work here now!

4. "Crew is the REAL deal!"

I worked at Crew Carwash full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Crew treats all employees with respect and I always felt that I was part of the team!
    - They stay true to who they are. Their hiring standards are strict, but they are committed to having the best team members and that shows at the locations throughout the state.
    - The leaders of the company know what they are doing. Everything is thought out and they are willing to try new things. I could not have better things to say about those who run each department and the company in general. Bill, the owner, his daughter and VP, Sally, and the president, Billy, care deeply about the success of each employee and they are on a mission each day to make sure their customers and their employees are taken care of. They are also just wonderful people to know and talk with!
    - People always talk about Crew employees in a positive light and I believe that starts with those who lead the HR team. The HR leaders are experienced and work each day to make sure that the managers at each location have the resources needed to staff and run their stores well. They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet and remain professional through every situation thrown their way.
    - We would always be reminded of what founder Joe Dahm would say- "We are really in the people business, we just happen to wash cars!" All I can say is that they do both VERY well!

Cons

In every company, there are always things that will get on your nerves. However, I didn't realize how much the little things Crew afforded me while I was there meant to me until I was gone. I was and still am passionate about this company and cheer them on as they continue to grow. Crew is a very unique company. It might not look like that from the outside, but I can say from experience, Crew is a family and if you are passionate about them, they will be passionate about you!

Advice to Management

Continue to pour into employees and customers. Take chances every now and again, like you did with me, build people up and see how lives are changed because of it. My life was deeply impacted by the people I worked with and the experience I gained from working at Crew!

Nov 14, 2018 – Management Recruiter

WOW! Talk about some fantastic feedback! Thank you! We do love to have upper management out at the locations to show how much we appreciate all of our employees!

5. "Shift Manager"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Crew Carwash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training program and classes for managers.
    Great entry level job for someone right out of college to gain some skills.
    The company mission and values taking care of customers and employees.
    Quick upward mobility if you want it.
    Crew gives back a lot to the community and is focused on philanthropy within the Indiana communities

Cons

Very repetitive work that can lead to burnout
    Being constantly understaffed
    Working in extreme weather conditions
    Micromanagement from upper level management.
    Work and life balance can be tough with working late on weekends.

6. "Great Starting Job"

I worked at Crew Carwash part-time

Pros

Goal setting and the people you work with

Cons

Sometimes can get really frustrating working in negative degree weather

Nov 14, 2018 – Management Recruiter

We're happy that you enjoy the people you worked with, but yes the weather temperatures can be harsh for some people.

7. "Great!"

I have been working at Crew Carwash part-time

Pros

Great place to work and super flexible!

Cons

Can get pretty repetitive after a while

8. "Manager"

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time

Pros

Positive Team Environment with Great Training

Cons

Work Weekends and Days Leading Up to or After Holidays.

9. "Crew Carwash"

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never worked at a place that I loved so much. The people that I work with are amazing, and continuously keep me loving my job. Crew goes through quite an in-depth hiring process, but it is worth it in the end. The people that work at all Crew locations are the best people in the state. Also, I am so happy to work for a company that cares about my growth, and wants me to continue learning and utilizing my strengths. I cannot imagine working anywhere else, because I get to be outside all day and work with amazing people.

Cons

If you cannot handle standing on your feet for longer than 6 hours, this probably is not the place for you. Or if you cannot handle being outside whether it is 90 degrees or 15 degreees for over an hour, then it is probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep being picky when hiring. I keep working with only amazing people!

10. "Losing their touch"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Crew is a great place for younger people looking to gain experience in the working world. Crew provides top notch customer service training and is very flexible for the part time role. There are plenty of opportunities for growth and to earn a little extra cash through contests and monthly awards.
    Crew also does a great job weeding out most bad candidates for a job. You tend to work with very like-minded, energetic people who enjoy coming in to work everyday.

Cons

Morale around the locations has started to trend downward over the past couple of years. This is due to several things, but mainly staffing, promotions, and unlimited customers.
    Crew locations are notoriously short staffed. I see emails multiple times a week of locations reaching out to get shift coverage. The problem is that all locations experience short staffing (some more than others) which means no one has extra help to lend out. This leads to the over working and burning out of managers. We as managers are expected to pick up the slack when a high schooler calls off because they have a headache. 45 hours a week minimum is plenty. There have been a number of times when I have worked 50-55 hours just to help the store make ends meet. But the second you cannot pick up another shift, your WIT's attitude "Whatever it Takes) is called into question. Stores are also encouraged to run with the least amount of people necessary to complete a job. We must follow strict staffing guidelines and if we don't there are repercussions. There is no work-life balance. Forget about having weekends off or a regular schedule.
    The next downfall is the constant promotions we are forced to bombard on our customers. In the past there were just a couple of shorter promotions throughout the year to show off the books and maybe the unlimited once or twice. Now, we are constantly promoting pretty much year round. The 2018 Father's Day book sale kicked off several weeks earlier than normal this year. When that ended in the middle of June, we immediately (the day after) transitioned into an Unlimited Introductory Pricing sale. Initially we were told this promotion would run based on how successful it was. Shockingly, the promotion was successful and it has been extended not once but twice until November 11. To make things better, we started our 8 week book promotion for Christmas on November 12. I wish the organization would have been more upfront with how long they intended this sale to last. Those of us who work at the location level are exhausted with these promotions. Sure, your revenue has probably increased. But your teams are worn out. It is incredibly frustrating to have every customer cut you off mid sentence in your "recommendation" and throw the handout back at your face because they have heard some variation of this speech for the past 5 months.
    This leads me to my third grievance: The Unlimited Club. The Unlimited Club has destroyed Crew Carwash and what made it a nice place to work. Location volumes have doubled and even tripled in some cases over the course of the last couple years. Yet we still have the same expectations to complete weekly and period tasks around the store and are expected to do more with hardly any staffing. We also still must complete grueling tasks such as nightly clean up if a location does not have cleanup team members. All of this is in addition to the frustration of washing the same clean cars everyday, sometimes multiple times a day. I can tell you what time a day a certain customer (who I know by name) will show up to have their car washed for the 12th time this week. This is just grueling and employees at the location level are exhausted.

Advice to Management

I would encourage all of the Support Team members to spend a week or two working at a location. This will allow you to see what it is like to recommend the Unlimited to 100 customers a day and loading 200 cars (when you saw 150 of them yesterday) while yelling "THANK YOU" to each and every Unlimited customer.