Crew Carwash Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Crew Carwash CEO Bill Dahm
Bill Dahm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Strict hiring standards means you work with great people" (in 13 reviews)

• "Management takes great strides to get feedback from associates ans lower level management to create a better work environment" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours at times but this can be rewarding" (in 8 reviews)

• "Working in extreme weather (Hot/Cold)" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Culture, Great People, Even Greater Job."

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time

Pros

All of the people are amazing, hiring is very strict and no one gets into Crew who isn't a quality person/worker. This keeps pay competitive, and the work atmosphere excellent. Benefits are nice, tuition reimbursement, student loan repayment, HSA, and more.

The culture is amazing, and employees and management are empowered to truly make the customer happy by whatever means necessary. Employees are truly appreciated with constant team meetings, contest prizes, corporate recognition, etc.

Training is encouraged and highly effective, with classes being taken in person at the corporate office. All the classes I have taken have been amazing. All online training is structured and easy to follow.

Working with customers is great, which is what I love, and you get some sales experience with upselling, and customer service experience by dealing with issues that arise, as well as a little management experience for associates if you help train new employees and assist managers with their duties.

Scheduling is a breeze, all of it goes through an app which makes communication easy and automated. No chaos in trading or covering shifts since all employees have the responsibility of managing their shifts through the app. Everything is a few weeks out scheduled, and requesting time off or availability is simple.

Once again, the people are great. The culture is great. All management and corporate employees are truly invested in the company and the "Crew Values" and make sure all employees and customers are happy. It's run like places used to be, and if you put in your hard work, you WILL be recognized.

Cons

You WILL work outside. Extreme hot, extreme cold. I'm used to it but to some it can be a little much. To me, it's the trade-off for working somewhere so awesome.

Hours can vary if you are full time/management. You will not always have the same schedule, and may work till 10pm or start at 5am, or both. Most schedules are "guidelines" and you will often stay over as full-time, if it says 2, you're not leaving until 3:30 and the closers come in. Similarly, you will get sent home other days early. You get to judge the days more accurately the longer you work though. Part-timers are usually set in stone. I do wish there was more variation in times for managers, if certain people preferred certain times and there was sufficient coverage, that everyone had a set schedule more often, instead of it varying wildly week to week.

Maybe loading will become more automated in the future, it's not for everyone and it's usually everyone's least favorite thing to do, but everyone ensures proper rotation while loading the vehicles so that you don't get burnt out.

You better like walking, most days for me are 5+ miles, which I enjoy, however this may be a con to some. You will be very tired at the end of full-time shifts.

My location seems to be understaffed. Other locations may not have this issue. Most normal to busy days are super hectic and you literally will not have a chance to even sit down and rest your legs for at least 5+ hours, unless you go to the bathroom. Which- is the only place there even is to sit down besides the manager's chair. You will be doing lots of standing and literally no sitting, besides a bathroom break, or your lunch break. I wish there was more staffing so employees could take a few 5 minute breathers throughout the day so it wasn't as taxing, or at least places to sit down in the office for employees besides one or two chairs.

Advice to Management

No real critique of management. Some training material is outdated, but is set to change in the near future so that is ok.

Streamlining of certain management training, maybe instead of online modules, have a full high production video series of tunnel equipment, common repairs and actual hands-on HD video of things to help understand the mechanics and operation of the wash. I feel like the equivalent of power-points don't get the material across near as well.

2. "Safety Coordinator"

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time

Pros

Crew is a great family owned business that truly cares about their team members. They want to develop you to be the best you can be inside and outside of work. They do this by having an outstanding training program that develops the team member to each position they want to reach within the company. While learning skills for the next position they work in productivity and emotional intelligence workshops to help you outside of work as well. All team members are super friendly and welcoming. This creates a want and urge to do the best you can.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment. I came into a position that had been vacant and had to learn from the ground up what they were doing on my own. ( this was for a management position. The associate route is nothing similar.)

Advice to Management

Ask for input from different departments regarding possible solutions to company improvements.

3. "Amazing."

Current Employee - Wash Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Crew Carwash part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, I look forward to coming to work and seeing the amazing people I get to call my co-workers.
    I also love the uniform.

Cons

None; depends on personal preferences.

4. "good"

Pros

great company to work for. a job where you become a family and enjoy going to work

Cons

better up to date uniforms

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Everyone has an awesome work ethic and a desire to be a team player. The management training is top notch.

Cons

Weather can be trying if not prepared but Crew will set you up for success with cold gear. Also have hand warmers and hot chocolate!

Advice to Management

If you come in with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn, the sky is the limit.

"There are good jobs out there."

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Anderson, IN
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Anderson, IN

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work 9 hour days but they are the most stress free hours/weeks I've had since leaving previous employers.

Cons

Not a downside but we handle vehicles that people pay a lot of money for. If we don't do our job, we hear about it. Very rare though.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people growing into management. They are the future of the company and can make your job a lot easier.

7. "Manager"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Crew Carwash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Crew teaches a lot about positive work environment, organization, and even more important subjects such as mechanical skills and leadership that really help you for the rest of your life. If you put in atleast a year at Crew. It will look good on your resume to anyplace local. Many local business in the state of Indiana actually try to recruit Crew employees cause they know they are trained well in customer focus and many other aspects. Even some employers I've been told are "wow'd" when they see Crew on job history on a resume. It's for sure a great experience that can set you up in the future if you play your cards right. There's also a great opportunity to move up in the company. I cannot count how many associates I've seen move into a management position, and management move into maintenance, office support, etc.

Cons

Performance is key but it can bite you in the rear if you don't stay on top. Regular performance appraisals and reviews are common. Mystery shopper reports with bad grades and lead to termination. The companies does a good job on their company promise but I have seen it fail multiple times. I've seen favoritism and fraternizing happen a lot even though the company claims to be strictly against it. I actually lost a promotion to someone who should have been fired for inappropriate manager associate relationships. But since they were the favorite, they ended up keeping their job and advancing at the same time. Which caused a lot of people to quit or get fired in the process.

Advice to Management

Stay on top of your team to help them achieve their goals. Especially if they're trying to move up. I cannot count how many times I've seen potentials get left. Rhine for various reasons

8. "Cares about employees"

Current Employee - Associate in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Associate in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Crew Carwash part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many benefits including biweekly free washes (works, ultimate), competitions between crew members for cash prizes and more that I can’t think of at the moment. Great training for regular employees and managers. The managers at the location I work at are very proficient and have high accountability for their actions. Crew does not keep management staff who don’t follow their vision ( a good thing).

Cons

Nothing outstanding, the only thing I can think of is you need to stand all the time during your shift, that’s about it.

Advice to Management

Try to have set goals with specific dates for new associate training based on how many days they work. There is a variation on training times especially (ie: some employees get trained much later compared to others for no specific reason)

"Wash Associate"

Current Employee - Wash Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Crew Carwash part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work
     learn new skills
     interesting place to work
    Taught me what hard work is
    Good customer service exposure
    Safe environment

Cons

-No accountability for associates, Let many workers off the hook with things that were against the rules. This was noticed by all other associated, and encouraged them to also be lazy and break rules, making a team of lazy workers who knew they would get away with things.
    -managers leave the young kids outside to work alone while they sit inside
      -low pay for the work being done (almost every place pays $10 an hour now).
    - Horrible schedules for young worker (worked sometimes 8 days in a row, 8 hour shifts)
    -8 hours is way too long for some kids to stand on their feet in those conditions.
    -Poor training on how to handle customer incidents and angry customers
    - management and corporate workers gave the same "automated" responses to every question and complaint you had
    - some management members made you feel bad and stupid for the questions you asked
    -some management members made it an uncomfortable work environment by talking about other associates and saying "sassy" rude comments to associate team members.
    -lots of managers did not do the weekly jobs that they were assigned to do, leaving lots of things around the location broken and unusable for customers and associates. Things that we were asking customers to pay for never worked, and management knew of these issues. This resulted in workers getting yelled at by angry customers daily.
    - managers would ask associates to do certain things and punish them if they didn't, and then the managers would get caught not doing them either.

Advice to Management

Hold everyone including yourself up to the same standards, don't ask and expect more from certain workers. Don't abuse your power by staying inside on the computer while the 16 & 17 year olds stand outside in the freezing cold. Lead by example, if you want associates to perform a certain way, then you need to be performing 10x better to set the best example.

10. "Wash Associate"

Current Employee - Wash Associate
    Current Employee - Wash Associate

I have been working at Crew Carwash part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is what makes Crew great. Everyone there is hard working, and loves to have fun. The pay is great for the amount of work that has to be put in. Responsibility is there for the taking, as long as you show the initiative.

Cons

No set schedule, some weeks are better than others for hours.

Advice to Management

Get to know your associates a bit more.