Crew Carwash Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Crew Carwash CEO Bill Dahm
Bill Dahm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Strict hiring standards means you work with great people" (in 13 reviews)

• "The tuition reimbursement at Crew is also a plus" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours that take up most of your day" (in 8 reviews)

• "There are many hot/cold days throughout the year" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Goal-Oriented/Driven Company"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Broad Ripple, IN
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Broad Ripple, IN

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Lots of advancement opportunities- Manager Trainee, Shift Manager, Assistant Manager, Operations Manager, Lead Operations Manager, General Manager
    2. Great pay and bonuses for Managers/Manager Trainees make 40,000+
    3. Associates pay starts off much higher than most companies
    4. The company really cares for their people. They take care of you whether you're a manager, associate, support team, or project team. They want every one of their members to reach their full potential. They make sure you are always happy working for them.
    5. Tuition reimbursement for associates/managers in college.
    6. Loan Repayment Program for graduates. ($1200 annually)
    7. Moving up the chain quickly is something they do very well with the managers. You get training from all the managers whether that be the other shift managers or it could be the area director.
    8. Always trying to find a place to build a new location and always improving current locations.
    9. Job Security

Cons

1. Work hours per week might be a little longer than what you want sometimes but that comes with any job. You do what you got to do to succeed and grow.
    2. If you don't like really hot weather or cold weather, this job probably isn't for you if you're planning on working at a location.

2. "Manager"

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time

Pros

Positive Team Environment with Great Training

Cons

Work Weekends and Days Leading Up to or After Holidays.

3. "Crew Carwash"

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never worked at a place that I loved so much. The people that I work with are amazing, and continuously keep me loving my job. Crew goes through quite an in-depth hiring process, but it is worth it in the end. The people that work at all Crew locations are the best people in the state. Also, I am so happy to work for a company that cares about my growth, and wants me to continue learning and utilizing my strengths. I cannot imagine working anywhere else, because I get to be outside all day and work with amazing people.

Cons

If you cannot handle standing on your feet for longer than 6 hours, this probably is not the place for you. Or if you cannot handle being outside whether it is 90 degrees or 15 degreees for over an hour, then it is probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep being picky when hiring. I keep working with only amazing people!

4. "High Standards for Little Compensation"

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR

I worked at Crew Carwash part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Because of their higher standards, the employees are a lot better than most. You don't get the weird employees you would at say, a supermarket. The workplace atmosphere is also quite nice, usually pretty open and free. Management was lovely as well, usually always friendly and helpful whenever I needed them.

Cons

Standards are ungodly high. I can understand if someone were to mess up too many times they'd be let go, that's perfectly reasonable. Their policies however, go above and beyond strict, and I'm not sure if I could list them here due to rules so I won't. I will however list a few I see repeated on other reviews.
    1. VERY specific grooming requirements
    2. Interesting schedule planning
    3. Morning meetings
    4. Uniforms
    5. Benefits

Grooming was very uptight. I never got called out on it because I usually did a decent job grooming myself, but others did. One rule in particular caught me as plain stupid, was "no transitional facial hair." In other words, it's okay to come into the job with a beard, but you cannot start to grow one so long as you are working there.

I'm sure I could talk about my hours worked. There have been weeks where I am scheduled 30-40 hours, and end up working maybe half of that if I'm lucky. It actually got to the point where I needed to beg others for shifts simply to have a chance at meeting my own financial demands. I understand I was part time, and that a business needs to make money by shortening staff for the day, but you can schedule less people in a single day, can't you?

I will say I was terminated from my position, and I'm not ashamed to admit that, because I didn't really see this job as favorable. The reasoning I was terminated was because I had missed a morning meeting after a previous code of conduct issue was noted. I gladly admitted it was my own fault, my alarm clock was incorrectly set after all. I feel though a two-strike policy is a little extreme, especially when you put so much time and money into your employees. No one is perfect, after all.

Uniforms are an interesting thought. So instead of the employer just purchasing a uniform for you, you were the one who purchased the uniform, and you paid for it paycheck by paycheck. So instead of getting your full pay, a fixed amount of your pay went towards you uniform account. The worst part of all of this is once your uniform was paid off, the account would simply grow from there for future uniform purchases. A nice idea, but you never got to see that bit of money taken out from every check.

Finally, benefits. I don't see how this company has good benefits, I never once though "oh, this is worth it" from this job. No real part-time benefits besides a couple of free washes every week, and if you got the highest sales for a day, you get some money at the next morning meeting. That's it. Those are the only benefits I've observed for part-time associates. I don't know why this company is so highly ranked as "A great place to work!" when they do the things they do to employees.

Advice to Management

Stop scheduling so many people at once and loosen up. Also, I hear you salaried managers are being decently abused, so stand up for yourselves!

5. "Car washer"

I have been working at Crew Carwash part-time

Pros

Plenty of fresh air and sunshine

Cons

Cold in the winter and early spring

Advice to Management

Provide warmer jackets and hot coffee for staff

6. "Great Work Place"

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time

Pros

Crew has a great culture in the office and in the field. It is growing quickly and will be an industry leader for a very long time.

Cons

Crew is a great place to be!

7. "very rewarding"

Former Employee - Wash Associate in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Wash Associate in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Crew Carwash part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great people! great management! great rewards with amazon gift cards with different sales and challanges

Cons

no work life balance since such short staff

8. "Worked here for 2 years"

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time

Pros

Advancement Opportunities. Good Training Program

Cons

Lot of non value added rules; felt like I was in kindergarten (like sock length and having to shave). Turnover and staffing was always a problem.

9. "Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time

Pros

Great environment. Great management team and employees. Very engaging work environment. Corporate listens to feedback and communicates effectively.

Cons

Be willing to get your hands dirty. We maintain our own equipment and install new equipment.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you aren't doing.

10. "Safety Coordinator"

I have been working at Crew Carwash full-time

Pros

Crew is a great family owned business that truly cares about their team members. They want to develop you to be the best you can be inside and outside of work. They do this by having an outstanding training program that develops the team member to each position they want to reach within the company. While learning skills for the next position they work in productivity and emotional intelligence workshops to help you outside of work as well. All team members are super friendly and welcoming. This creates a want and urge to do the best you can.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment. I came into a position that had been vacant and had to learn from the ground up what they were doing on my own. ( this was for a management position. The associate route is nothing similar.)

Advice to Management

Ask for input from different departments regarding possible solutions to company improvements.