Cricut Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ashish Arora

1. "Thoughts about the company"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Cricut full-time

Pros

One of the best companies I have worked for. Great atmosphere, wonderful colleagues, good bosses.

Cons

I cannot think of any.

Advice to Management

They could be a bit more open with information with employees.

"Amazing product, but the reviews about the company are true"

Pros

The product here is great, and they are making (slow) steps to improve it with bug fixes.

Cons

Everything about the administration. I travelled in for an interview here (on my own dime, mind you, with not even an offer of reimbursement) and met with HR, the department head, and one of the team members on the team I was interviewing for. I was interviewing for a few hours, during which time the HR lady AND the director told me repeatedly how perfect a fit I was for this position, that I was the "unicorn" they'd been searching for. Excited for an offer (which they said would come the next week), I thanked them for the interview, wrote a follow up thank you, and ... crickets!!! Pardon the pun, but after 3 weeks, 5 follow up emails (to HR, the director, AND the team member) and 4 calls (with voicemail messages) and 2 LinkedIn messages, politely asking about the status, even OFFERING that if they filled the position I completely understand, just TELL ME, I never even got a single word in reply!

Forget the fact that I spent my money to come interview, or that they fed me bull about how excited they were for me to join the team, HOW UNPROFESSIONAL from an administrative standpoint to never respond? I was, to say the least, quite shocked.

Advice to Management

If you want to employ good talent, you have to have an administrative team that is PROFESSIONAL AND RESPONSIVE. After a month of following up, I was beyond aggravated to never have been given the DECENCY of a response.

"Good Products, Decent Culture, Hypocritical Leaders"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

Pros

The company is dedicated to providing wonderful products. The culture is fairly laid back, and the company values are easy to embrace. There are many wonderful employees here that typically make coming to work enjoyable.

Cons

The biggest downside of working here was the blatant hypocrisy of some key executives and leaders. They would often say one thing and do the exact opposite (depending on who they are dealing with).

Most of the departments have created a "groupie" type environment - you are either in or out. They have made a habit of needlessly hiring and firing good employees with little or no justification, other than they don't fit the "groupie" mold.

Some of the shallow, little men making important decisions seem to have low self-confidence, so they surround themselves with people who simply make them feel better about themselves. Work ethic, critical thinking, and overall performance are often less important than being buddy-buddy with your boss.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending you will be the next Apple or Netflix. It's an insult to those companies when you compare yourself to them. You haven't been profitable for the last several years. Your bathrooms stink and your employees use empty boxes for monitor stands because you're too cash strapped to do anything about it.

"Hypocritical"

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

Pros

I did not have any

Cons

They claim to provide a progressive team based environment. They do not. They make a lot of claims but their culture is fairly toxic, and they are very rigid and authoritarian in nature.

6. "Flexible, Friendly Environment!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Cricut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the best co-workers who made going to work fun. Company efforts were made to ensure a positive culture through planned department and company activities. Although it does appear the Culture Team operated on a small budget for the size of the company and the types of activities planned. I personally appreciated having a flexible schedule and the opportunity to work from home, where possible. But I also understand that this flexibility is dependent upon department and/or supervisor. Maybe I was just lucky in that regard. The employee discount for Cricut products was a nice benefit.

Cons

There seemed to be a struggle for adequate resources, depending on what department you were in. My team worked on old laptops, used old phones, and rarely received genuine recognition for a job well done. Company management appears to value Sales and Marketing over less visible departments. The bathrooms were gross. I don't know what it was... Too many users? Too little ventilation? Just gross...

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of your customers.

"Great Company With Great Products With Opportunities To Grow"

I have been working at Cricut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, Great minds to work with, lot of opportunity to learn and grow.
    Changing culture.

Cons

Feeling of lack of resources sometimes, could get overloaded with work once in a while.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, they will take care of the company.
    Find more perks for employees.

8. "My experience with Cricut"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Cricut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement, Family Friendly, Great pay,

Cons

No floating holidays unless in call center, Not what you know it is about who you know.

9. "Great opportunities to grow and participate"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Cricut full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cricut is not a large company where you feel lost in the bustle of business, management really knows who you are by name. They really have changed in the past several years where you felt invisible and passed over for growth. Now there are many opportunities available to those willing to work hard to learn and grow.

Cons

There are a lot of projects always going on, learning to balance work and personal life can become difficult. There are sometimes that communication is lacking between departments but has greatly improved in the past several years.

Advice to Management

There has been improvement with employees learning to live a healthier life style,however with the fast pace environment some fall between the cracks and burn out and should be cautioned. Continual improvement on communication will help cross team involvement with projects.

"Most toxic environment I have ever worked in"

Pros

There are a lot of good people there

Cons

The testing department, if you can call it that, is the most toxic environment I have ever worked in. The managers have no clue what they are doing. the only thing they are concerned with is being yes men to upper management. There is no testing life cycle. If you disagree with anything that is said you will be shown the door, no questions asked.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the management of QA. That is going to be the only way you save the software of this company. Maybe the board should look at not allowing the CEO to bring in his "buddies" from previous companies and find some real managers.

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Senior Front-End Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Front-End Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Cricut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product is amazing! The Cricut machine is so cool! I really liked working on it and on the software that runs it. There's some pretty cool technology and innovation in some parts of the company. When I was hired on, I was told that much of the upper management had been cleaned out and that management was really doing well. Because of Cricut's reputation I was a bit hesitant but I took the plunge because I liked the product and I was reassured things were better with management.

Cons

I feel like upper management is probably doing better than before, but the real problem now is middle management. As a software engineer who cares considerably about culture, company values, etc. I would think that the change in upper management and culture overall would have done well for the company. What has not happened yet though is a restructuring of middle management. I feel like Cricut is hemorrhaging in the personnel department, particularly software engineering. I really think if you can't keep the coders around, you don't have a problem with finding good coders, and I think there's been quite a few great ones who have gone in and out of Cricut. The values are solid, but middle management has little regard for the great values.

Advice to Management

Try to stop the bleeding by keeping great managers who are not the "teacher's pets" of upper management and maybe letting some of the middle managers (teacher's pets) go.