Crimson Hexagon Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Stephanie Newby

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedule allows good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• best in class in an emerging market where the category has become a "has to have" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is such rigidity amongst executive team that allows no room for innovative thinking (in 11 reviews)

• But like any company experiencing growing pains, this place has a great platform and purpose (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

Pros

People seem to have a good time and the flexibility is great. The executive team is super approachable and the CEO sits right on the floor with employees. She has a passion for the company.
    The benefits and perks are like nothing I personally have had at other companies.

Cons

I think a solid vision and long term goals change too often. Also connecting these to sound goals and holding people accountable is a problem.

The sales org is never in the Boston office past 5pm and seem to be somewhat disconnected.

But like any company experiencing growing pains, this place has a great platform and purpose. It just needs to do a better job of communicating it.

I think the employee base is young and may not have experienced these growing pains before causing a panic-like mentality. This is common!

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and open about what you want out of the employees - and hold them accountable!

"Great purpose"

I have been working at Crimson Hexagon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working on really cool problems with cutting edge technology
    Great product -- leads competitively
    Smart, passionate people
    Good perks and work life balance

Cons

Unlimited vacation has pros and cons, some never want to take it
    Communication for whatever reason can be stifled between departments

Advice to Management

Keep investing in product and people
    Encourage collaborations and communication between departments

"Fantastic Company with some Start Up Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Crimson Hexagon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First, I'm a Sales Rep here and we were hit hardest with this year's vision, which was a miss, but I'm still here and believe in this company. Second, we've already righted the ship and are on a good course. Great new CMO and SVP of Global Sales just hired. Every startup has growing pains. Could these growing pains have been handled better? Sure, but the company just got in front of its skis with hiring and had to reel it back, that's all. Some of the reviews below are from bitter employees who were laid off. If you actually read some of their reviews, you'll see what I mean. It's crazy talk.

- Best Product in the Space.
    - Great Office Location.
    - Fantastic Industry. If you're ever going to join a new company, make sure it's in a growing industry, not a dying one. The Social Analytics and Consumer Insights Industry is in its infancy with so much potential.
    - Classic Start-Up Perks (lunches, beers, etc etc).
    - CEO has an Australian accent which is awesome.

Cons

- An overeager vision for 2017 including new sales setup and hiring expectations. Those have been corrected, though.
    - Not the best communication from executives about changes but new processes put in place for open and honest discussions.

Advice to Management

Keep progressing in our current direction and make decisions based off of data and market-driven context, nothing else.

"I love working at Crimson"

I have been working at Crimson Hexagon full-time

Pros

Great employees and options for movement.

Cons

Still has a startup mentality, which is an excuse when things don't go as planned.

"Year over Year Growth, Great Product, Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Crimson Hexagon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When someone asks why I have been at Crimson for more than 5 years I always say it is because we have the best product in the market, we have an awesome culture and we win most of the competitive deals we are in! As a sales person...that last part is important to me! :)

Product
    - best in class in an emerging market where the category has become a "has to have"
    - we have unique technology that is almost impossible to replicate (machine-learning, data, etc.)
    - we believe in consumer facing design and its always nice when your product looks good

Culture
    - some of the smartest people I have ever worked with in every department
    - we are treated like adults and are trusted that we can schedule our weeks to hit our numbers
    - the team I am on pushes each other to perform better and we aim to do the best work of our careers

Growth
    - consistent year over year growth
    - high win rate against competitors
    - new products to sell

Cons

We have had a challenging year trying to execute on a very ambitious growth plan after our recent round of funding. These challenges are sometimes around what is the best go-to-market strategy, sometimes around executing that strategy, and sometimes around do we have the best people to execute that strategy. However, we are still growing year over year and moving towards stronger strategy, execution and people.

Advice to Management

Create enough forums for employee feedback. We had sessions in July and August...so keep them coming! Empower your people managers to be the best they can be through training and coaching. Make sure we have all the data we need to come to the right strategy the first time.

"BDR Team Review"

Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA

I worked at Crimson Hexagon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great BDR Teammates. Free Snacks.

Cons

There is absolutely no support from management. They do not care about your success . If you want to go to a company that you will grow in Crimson Hexagon is not one of them. They also have no respect for there BDR employees. I would not recommend this to any one looking for a BDR role.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees. And start to promote the people that work hard for you.

"Sinking ship, starting at the top"

I have been working at Crimson Hexagon full-time

Pros

Good health benefits, unlimited vacation (people abuse this), some perks like happy hours and free lunches but most of that was scrapped or is now poorly conceived. Come to think of it, there's not many real HR benefits despite a large HR team.

Product is great but always shifting, deep connection to Twitter

Location - Stellar (will probably be kicked out by Amazon in the future)

Work Hours - 9-5 (which may be part of the problem as 5:15 is a ghost town)

Cons

I'm not sure what the CEO really knows about social insights, so it's hard to run an organization if you're not an expert on it. Surrounded by weak executives that constantly clash with one another breeds a toxic environment.

HR was built up with a whole new team and was played up to turn the org around, but possibly did the inverse and made things worse. Nothing ever got done to make quality of life better or create more opportunities to learn/grow in the org. What's the point of a CPO if no ones listening to the employees.

Sales - train-wreck of morale, tough to be without an SVP of sales

Middle Directors - There's so many of them and none of whom know how to manage people or lead personal growth. They seem to have power struggles and can't make effective decisions.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and make changes
    Switch up the Executive team and get sales back on track

"Time for an internal refresh"

I have been working at Crimson Hexagon full-time

Pros

Product is innovative and top of the market in a sea of competitors.
    Work/life balance is possible.
    Perks/benefits are in line with other, similarly sized companies in the area.
    Boston office is in a prime location that's convenient for commuters and Boston dwellers.

Cons

The internal "culture" (and side note: I don't subscribe to the buzz of the word culture) needs to be refreshed. There is an incredible amount of negativity in the office that needs to be cut out. The internal tension, unhappiness and lack of engagement is what makes Crimson not the best place to work. Before giving more details, it's important to note that the internal challenges that we're going through are not uncommon for a growth stage company. It's actually incredibly normal. The thing that's lacking is leadership to face the challenges head on and start making changes. Here's what IMO needs to be fixed:

-mid-level management (dir level) need management training. They're smart. They may know their industry and "industry standards", but if you don't know how to manage people, you are continuing to create bigger holes in the bucket. The negativity that was mentioned above starts in the trenches. Meetings are full of passive aggressive, negative banter. Employees that are unmotivated and unhappy are creating additional negativity by pulling down motivated and engaged employees. It's time to cut the BS and that starts with solid management coaching that is severely lacking within the director-level management and executive leadership for the departments don't/refuse to see the problem. Layoffs are not fun, but they give leadership an opportunity to say "if you aren't happy here, let's talk and give you the option to voluntary be laid off". There was none of that in the recent round of layoffs and that was a huge missed opportunity, again in my opinion. It would have cost you more money, Crimson, I get that. But if you're really interested in why the reviews are so bad and where they're coming from, start with your unengaged employees that you've chosen to keep.

-EGOOOOOOOs. I mean, wow. Apparently if you've been at the company 2+ years (sometimes it start at 1+), you're suddenly a knowledge expert on how to do things. This is something I'd wished I could have seen before accepting my offer. If you're hiring people with experience, you shouldn't have to tell them how it's done or how to handle certain situations. Open your ears, let them absorb how you're currently doing things and give a fresh perspective. There's none of that here. It's shocking.

-Time to start engaging your departments and teams. One way NOT to do that? Say budgets are tight and then bring the entire sales team together for 3 days of onsite training, a fancy dinner, lunch everyday, happy hour before going to a fancy dinner, and then late night out with booze flowing. Sales needed it, sure. But it's incredibly demoralizing to be in another revenue generating department that's not sales, hit your numbers and get nothing.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people and refresh your teams. It's been what, 3 weeks since the layoffs? We've had one meeting and no action. Time for some action!

"Great people, rewarding work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Crimson Hexagon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location
    Great flexibility
    Smart coworkers
    Lots of interesting work

Cons

Recent layoffs can be demoralizing.
    Twitter platform is limiting growth.

"An Alternate Perspective"

I have been working at Crimson Hexagon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Best in class product, strong forward thinking product roadmap
    • An Executive team that is actively learning and pivoting
    • New leadership being brought in
    • A conscientious effort to be transparent with employees

Cons

• Self-involved employees that lack the internal motivation to be successful
    • An Executive team that has coddled its employees for too long
    • Mid-Management group that doesn’t lead by example, which fuels my first two cons

Reading through some of the more recent reviews…specifically the one dated August 14, 2017, I am taken aback by that level of frustration. We have a company that has a strong rate of growth, an engaged Board, an evolving Executive team but also happens to be going through some significant growing pains. Some of these are self-inflicted and admittedly, I do not disagree with everything negative that has been written recently. That said…many of the complaints reflect individuals who are at an earlier stage of their business careers and have not been through the ebbs and flows of a start-up transitioning to a corporation. They do not appreciate how difficult it is to make that transition, that mistakes happen, and that all businesses (large and small) have their challenges. The negative posts recently, to me, have an air of self-entitlement and high risk/high reward industry do not have that luxury. Instead, their energy should be directed towards constructively working with the stakeholders on solving challenges and then contributing with the 110% effort that is required in high growth SaaS organizations.

The company is aware of the state of the business and actively engaged at correcting them. In addition, the board appears to be actively engaged with the executive team to plot that course correction as well. My hope is that employees start recognizing that the executive team/board are engaged and focus more on their work instead of concerning themselves with free booze, snacks, and lunches.

Advice to Management

Kickoff this year was termed “ignite”. I would encourage you to stoke that flame and motivate employees through leadership, by example, and with strong management.