Critical Control Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 13, 2017

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "I have a Career, not a Job"

I have been working at Critical Control Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked many places in several industries and this is the first company I have found will actually take the time to help you progress the way you are looking to. Is it perfect - no - however no place is. CCES meets my specific needs in terms of management style (my managers do not mico-managers), hours, pay and support. I have fun at work, and after having so many jobs it is finally nice to have found a place I can actually progress and develop and consider it a career. They even initiated sending me on a course to develop some skills missing from my toolkit. Often managers are working many hours longer than their teams, and the ones I work with will be the first to pitch in when help is needed. I also find - for the most part - that the communication is done well. You may have to ask the questions and unless it is confidential they will answer as best they can.

Cons

To progress you need to be vocal about it, you can't assume management will figure it out. Sometimes the hours are long, however if you come in a little late once in a while, or have to leave early for an appointment they are pretty good about it. Being in Oil and Gas everyone has a heavy workload which is not ideal, but I can understand given the economy. Sometimes the deadlines provided though are unrealistic which I have found is a lack of knowledge and understanding about the process. There is typically a willingness to learn though (if there is time)

Advice to Management

Progress Reviews need to be put back in place - even if due to the economy there are no raises. Having a performance review will make us feel like some time was taken to think about us. Try not to make assumptions about deadlines without consulting first with team leads about workload.

2. "The worst ever company to work at"

Current Employee - Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Critical Control Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some people are nice, NOT management - those smile at you but WILL stab you in the back.

Cons

Plenty of cons!!! You work as a slave with NO overtime pay or acknowledgement. And you are told it's okay, cuz you are salaried employee. Read the labour standards people! I wish economy wasn't so bad now and I find a job elsewhere. Do yourself a favour don't come to work here, unless you like feeling like a slave that is.
    They treat you like dirt, no salary increases, no annual bonuses. By taking vacation at the time they don't like, you are frown upon. Salary is miserable for the amount of work they gave you. The absolute worst place I worked in, I will leave as soon as I find something else... for now just a warning to all - do not work for this company ever!

Advice to Management

Go read labour standards people and educate your managers.

3. "Lies, cliques and favouritism"

I worked at Critical Control Solutions full-time

Pros

Get to learn about the oil and gas industry and compositional analysis.

Cons

Management lies to you about your progress and offers little to no relevant coaching. They also clearly have favourites and people who aren't from Calgary are forever treated like outsiders. People are nice but cliquey and (most) are two-faced.

Advice to Management

Don't be so quick to pick favourites over loyalty.

5. "Not bad for first job"

Former Employee - Data Entry in Richmond Hill (Sri Lanka)
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Richmond Hill (Sri Lanka)

I worked at Critical Control Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good pay, piece work for summer
    - easy to get in

Cons

- some of the upper management are absolute pains in the bum.
    - some people get favoured, get easier work to do

6. "Great Company, Changing to meet industry demands"

I have been working at Critical Control Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great people, everyone is super friendly, fun social events and great flexible environment. The company is very client focused. Experienced professionals are eager to teach new people, great environment to learn a lot about the oil and gas industry. Company is supportive of continuing education and development of its staff.

Cons

Turnover is part of the industry, People use this as a jumping off point, but may not stick around for the long term.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to what your employees and managers are saying.

7. "Lack of communication and no corporate culture"

I worked at Critical Control Solutions full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours (depending on your department), friendly people

Cons

Lack of communication to staff from line managers, lack of communication from CEO to line managers
    Teams work in cliques
    Staff turnover is high
    No HR dept

Advice to Management

Communicate with your staff on a regular basis, not just at random town hall meetings where the CEO acts as if the information he is presenting is a surprise to even him. Allow your staff to further their education and skills. Devise a clear corporate vision and make all staff feel as if they are included in this vision. Don't allow management to pick favourite staff members and make it apparent who these people are in the town hall meetings.

8. "Poison at it's finest"

Pros

Co-workers were great people. They celebrated birthdays, went out for lunch, helped you if you were down. They were really great people.

Cons

Management denies raises for reasons such as "forgetting". They are a group of "friends" that treat employees with little respect. Management awards are given for poor management with high turnover and layoffs all around. It is a horrid environment to ever work in with little opportunity to grow. Favoritism is big there, so if you can become friends with management by sucking up, you will do great.

Advice to Management

You really need to get rid of most of the people in your management. They are managing with personal feelings and playing favoritism.

9. "Extremely stressful place to work."

Pros

Very casual relaxed environment with a lot of nice people who are helpful. It's a very welcoming environment.

Cons

Extremely overworked staff. They have you working long hours with little additional compensation. No opportunities for further growth available.