Critical Mass Reviews | Glassdoor

Critical Mass CEO Dianne Wilkins
Dianne Wilkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • People would talk about crazy long hours, burning people out (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of formalized review process (in 6 reviews)

1. "A professional misstep"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Critical Mass full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An easy-to-get, high-paying agency job with an attractive Sunnyvale-based client.

Cons

You’re a pawn for this decade’s trendiest corporate tax loophole. You’re a liability to the client and a line item on an SOW for the agency.

Advice to Management

Your title means nothing outside of this place.

"Critical Mess"

Pros

Pay isn't bad and there's some flashy clients.

Cons

*Extremely cliquey. If you're not in the "cool kids club" the environment can be borderline hostile.
    *Monthly town halls are great in theory, but when you only pat the same 5 people on the back every time, they become trite.
    *Executive leadership says they want change, but when ideas are delivered to them, they just land on their own old ideas and nothing changes.
    *Training is non-existent so if you're looking for any sort of help with anything, you've come to the wrong place.

Advice to Management

Leap into 2017. Some of the systems and processes required are antiquated and not efficient to running a global business.
    Apply the same rules to everyone. Stop the blatant favoritism and high school social games.
    Reboot the town halls. Notice everyone on their computers during this time? Nobody is paying attention.

"Liars"

Former Employee - Experience Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Experience Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Critical Mass full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think they get Murray's Bagels for Bagel Fridays. Also they have a cute little bagel slicing thing that makes it easy to cut your bagel in half without squishing it, and there are two toasters so you don't normally have to wait to warm your bagel up.

Cons

I was hired on a temp-to-perm basis. They tried me out for 3 months, loved my performance, and extended me a good offer. I accepted the offer. All of a sudden they claimed I had "performance issues." This happened to be timed with my client scaling back their project needs. They made me miserable for a couple more months instead of just letting me go when I was no longer needed.

Other problems with this company:
    - If you don't wear the right clothes or use the right apps you will be terminated
    - Cramped office, was always difficult to find a quiet corner for a meeting or to whiteboard
    - Office is loud, busy, and distracting; staff who needed to focus frequently took their work to local coffee shops
    - Bad coffee

Advice to Management

If you only need someone for a few months just keep them on a temporary or contract basis.

"Poorly ran company that doesn't have their act together"

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

Pros

- Free bagels on Friday

- Great office location

Cons

- Was hired to do one job, but was promptly told that I would be doing something completely different when I started

- Asked for more responsibility and that I wanted to take on more challenging work and was promptly let go. Their reasoning? Performance based, which is interesting considering I was working 9+ hours a few days a week to finish up projects for pitches

- When asked for clarification around why exactly I was let go, I was given ambiguous reasons and my questions were more or less dodged by HR

- My manager didn't even speak to me most days, even though he sat in my area and I saw him daily

- The culture is incredibly cliquey. If you're not a senior designer, you're basically worthless and no one will talk to you

- Managers literally do not care about helping you / furthering your career

"No passion"

I worked at Critical Mass full-time

Pros

Good job if you like slacking off, cause there's nothing to do

Cons

No passion for technology, code is a mess, no testing, management is a disaster.

Advice to Management

Get your resume in order. I don't really see a future here.

"Smoke and Mirrors"

I worked at Critical Mass full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very laid back atmosphere and work environment. Good employee perks, typical to most marketing and digital agencies. Some great people work here. Or have worked here and left.

Cons

Upper management is super cliquish but mostly non-existent. Company culture motto is a just sound bite. Some of the support departments in Chi and Canada are a total amateur hour. Calgary runs the show.

Advice to Management

Ask yourselves what the real reason is people stay less than a year.

"I don't have anything to say so I'm not saying it here.""

Current Employee - Associate Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Critical Mass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, smaller office, reasonable compensation

Cons

no leadership, run by millenials who think it's playtime, no creative talent or value for the work, where is this place going?

"High school Drama!"

Pros

CM will push the "fun" to mask the problems it's having. So if you like beer, come here.

Cons

They take advantage of hard working employees and do not compensate...well, until they let a few more people go, then you may get a raise. Not a secure place to work! They seem nice at first, but watch out, it's a ploy to get you in the door!

Advice to Management

CM needs to pull away from the click it has in upper management. No matter what good you do, if they don't like you, or if their friends don't like you. you will be let go/fired. You have been warned!

"A Bad Experience Overall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Critical Mass has an impressive client list and portfolio.

Cons

This company likes to exploit younger professionals who are less likely to complain about a work life balance. Long hours and rushed deadlines are the norm. While they provide adequate pay and insurance benefits, salary bonuses and recognition for a job well done are practically non-existent unless you are in the right clique. In addition, the company and its people aren't managed well which has resulted in a downward trend in quality work and employee morale.

Advice to Management

I would encourage them to take a management course to understand how to manage people, because that's not a quality any of them seem to possess.

10. "Web Developer"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Critical Mass full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Located in downtown Toronto close to many restaurants.

Cons

Very poor management and company culture. The web development team are stuck with updating content on a completely broken legacy CMS. No opportunity to learn new technology. Complete lack of communication between creative and developers. Office politics.

Advice to Management

Please communicate better and try to be empathetic.