Critical Mention Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "You'll learn a lot"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Tech stack is interesting and this is a good company to learn new technologies (RabbitMQ, Zookeeper, Solr, ffmpeg, sharding data). People are smart, helpful, and supportive. Product is best in the market.

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Invest in technology

2. "Linux Engineer"

Pros

Decent people to work with

Cons

Crazy management style - A new CTO came in and laid-off a contract employee during a phone conference. This shook up everyone, afterwards people started leaving the company. Also there were some financial difficulties and the company had to take out loans to make payroll.

"I guess it could be worse?"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Critical Mention full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code. Opportunity to make good money. Good benefits. Sales manager is a nice guy, smart, and a good mentor.

Cons

No room for advancement. Long hours (8:30-6) and zero flexibility. HIGHLY KPI driven, you will get a yelled at every single day for not making enough calls, or logging enough of the right kind of calls. Very high pressure and extremely high turnover rate, you will most likely be out of a job within a couple months. The possibility to make good money is there, but chances are, you'll never reach it. Very generic offering, your prospects get similar calls every single day, and are very frustrated. The price points are very low, and so is the seniority of the people you will sell to, which does not give you great experience if you ever want to sell better technology. The very few reps that have been there for more than a year get all of the inbound leads.

Advice to Management

I believe that the items mentioned in my "Cons" section are largely a result of the product and market you're in, so I can't say that I have many suggestions for improvement, but the ideas I do have I will keep to myself, as I believe they will fall on deaf ears

4. "engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Critical Mention full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great tech and wonderful vision.

Cons

pay low and hiring enough fellow engineers to help get the job done. no opportunity for advancement in position yet use you for your ability in such positions.

Advice to Management

work harder to make the employees happy.

5. "Maybe just one..."

I worked at Critical Mention full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest and most dynamic people I’ve ever worked with. Tremendous collaboration among teams and friendships are quickly formed. Best friends, even. There used to be company sponsored events like golfing, a beach house, happy hours, and deck parties. Casual work environment. Opportunity to learn new skills, under the radar, of course. Interesting technology in a field that not many others are working in.

Cons

Leadership and management do not seem to care or support what many consider the “pros” of working here. The perks of collaboration, knowledge shares and friendship are not supported or encouraged by management, but rather, is a last resort for teams working with low morale, lack of employees, and unrealistic goals. Teams form friendships and bond, as everyone aligns on the pitfalls of a poorly managed technical program. It’s a good thing that happy hours are frequent.. at least, they used to be.

Management forces unrealistic expectations on a struggling, overworked staff. Goals are rarely met and there is no encouragement for long-term planning. Tasks are dictated, rather than organized, and emotions seem to guide every meeting that includes upper management.

Teams are expected to work “on call”, travel, and even work on holidays, with poorly documented escalation procedures. There are no benefits or perks given to those who pull long shifts to keep the systems afloat.

There is no bonus structure and no program for regular performance reviews. Requests for performance reviews are rarely handled in a timely manner, and rarely result in a conversation about a raise. Promotions are given, and workloads stack up, but compensation for new titles and responsibilities are not met with a raise in pay. Boosts in pay are only on the table if you have another offer lined up or are giving your notice already.

There is a staggering lack of diversity of all kinds here. If you want to get ahead or be treated with respect, you’d better hope you’re “one of the boys”. If you want stock options or a bonus, hopefully you picked the right team. If you’re put off by misogyny, move along.

Advice to Management

Some of the most talented people I’ve ever met have left their position here and have given solid advice to anyone who will listen. Management seems blind to the casualties and mounting frustration among teams. My advice is simple: Focus on realistic expectations and work to build a strong technical program. Take notice of your employees well-being, and make an effort to keep them very happy. The incredible people that have left this company, certainly aren’t the last. And as for the lack of diversity, maybe hire or promote a female dev for once?

6. "Bunch of Clowns running the show"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Critical Mention full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and cool people to work with

Cons

Upper management focus is out of touch. Very low employee moral and huge turnover.

Advice to Management

Be fair to employees across the board

7. "Very cool technology"

I have been working at Critical Mention full-time

Pros

Unique and challenging tech environment
    Leaders promote growth from within org. Alot of opportunity to learn and grow
    Nice offices, ping pong, darts, snacks
    Tech team smart, helpful, nice people, no egos
    Sales team motivated as products are best in class.
    Flex work from home schedules

Cons

Need more staff in both sales and tech

Advice to Management

Hire more people

8. "$$$ Money to be made"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Critical Mention full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No ceiling on income as I am making a ton of money through 1 year. Fast paced. Great Sales Management. Established product and market with large upside potential.

Cons

Not really a whole lot of negative as I thoroughly enjoy my job.

Advice to Management

Management is consistent. Positive environment for the most part.

9. "Great Sales Environment"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

Commission structure is really geared towards allowing you to make what you want. I've doubled my yearly earnings in the last few years with the Company.

VP of Sales Steve Shannon is one of the best salesman I've worked with, and really knows how to help his employees succeed. If you are looking to make money and grow in your sales career, this is a great place to do it.

Cons

A different structure for renewals would be nice

10. "Dynamic Tech Company"

I have been working at Critical Mention full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open work environment that encourages individuality and makes team members feel like their opinions and contributions matter.
    Effective management that has a clear strategy for success.
    Good commission plans with clear structure and relevant goals

Cons

Micromanaging CEO often demotivates rather than inspires employees
    No salary reviews, onus is on the employee to request evaluation and drive the conversation

Advice to Management

Recognize that investing in employees is just as important as investing in technology. Attaboys and incentives are helpful, but nothing beats a competitive salary.