KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Critical TechWorks

Engaged Employer

Critical TechWorks

Add a Review

Critical TechWorks Employee Reviews about "ctw"

Updated Nov 15, 2021

Found 8 of over 155 reviews

4.3

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Tech

57 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "ctw"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Current Employee

CTW promotes and allows bullying

Sep 14, 2021 - Software Developer in Porto, Oporto
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cake at morning and after lunch

Cons

Speakily free communication channel but which is of no use because whenever something is communicated, cases of bullying included, in which the answer is: No evidence was found. If you say that I shouldn't have wasted so much time in this company and look for another one, I say that you have to worry about solving cases of bullying and other major internal problems. CTW is aware that bullying exists and is encouraged to do so. CTW encourages, authorizes bullying to be practiced. They encourage and tolerate bullying depending on the individuals concerned. If they get any complaints about it, they apologize and play blind, because they know very well what happens. It goes as far as promoting bullying and then wanting to talk to the bullying victim to find out how they feel (as if they didn't know anything or had encouraged anything). CTW is a company in which those who are promoted are the friends of the crony who already know each other, the progression criteria are according to what suits you best. AT CTW, flattery is high, false praise for decision-makers is high Another big point of this company is about being part of the BMW group. BMW sees Critical TechWorks as one more company that provides services to it: 3 years after the start of the Joint Venture, BMW strongly refuses the CTW working model, for BMW, the CTW has to work according to the BMW model and nothing else. Typical of service provider

12 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Dear colleague, We take bullying very seriously and precisely because of that, have the independent Speak Freely team to analyse those instances. Just because you submitted a complaint to Speak Freely, doesn't make you right. We trust the independent team behind Speak Freely to dully investigate each and every report, in a speedy, responsible, independent and data supported way. I wish you luck on your way, because if the only pro you can find is the free cake, then this is not the right company for you. I truly hope you can find a place where you are happier.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Mostly positive but highly dependent on the unit

Jun 4, 2021 - Senior Scrum Master in Porto, Oporto
    Business Outlook

Pros

I mostly have good things to say about my experience at CTW. Upper Management was always very open and welcoming, they have very positive campaigns and in general seem to care about the employees.

Cons

While I always had very positive experiences at CTW I know that is not for everyone. I've seen some very bad cases of management (HOIs) that turn a blind eye to problems within their unit such as chauvinism, disrespect, bad work conduct from senior developers, etc. When these issues were brought up nothing was done, as far as I know. Another problem is that the speed of growth has taken its toll, and a lot of new people coming in the technical side are not very good and end up in higher positions than then should have just to fill quotas.

6 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hi colleague, thanks for taking the time to write this. And am glad to read that overall you are happy at CTW. Regarding your comments about turning a "blind eye" - we take these things very seriously, that's why we have several channels for people to be able to communicate any issues going on (Breakfast Talks, Speak Freely); also, as responsible for Diversity and Inclusiveness, I would invite anyone to contact the Happiness team and we will definitely look into these issues in the most appropriate way. Again, thank you for taking the time to write this post.

3. 5.0

Amazing place to work

Nov 15, 2021 - Scrum Master
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flat organization, flexible time work, remote work flexibility

Cons

Their values are amazing but, BMW is not following these values, and sometimes it is interfering in the CTW work model.

1 person found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hey colleague, thanks for taking the time to write a review and for the 5 stars. Our aim is to work in a flat organization with autonomous and collaborative teams, that work in a flexible and collaborative environment, so it's great to read that from your comment. The joint collaboration we have created with BMW is a relationship and like any relationship, it might have some rocky moments, we might need some tough conversations to create the necessary trust and transparency needed in any great collaboration. We're not there yet, we're still on this journey and we know that it sometimes is difficult - if you have any suggestions on how we can continue improving this relationship, please feel free to reach out. And thanks once again for your comment and being of a part of our team.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Most likely the best place I have ever worked at: this is a people-first company.

Jun 19, 2020 - Product Visionary/Owner in Lisbon, Lisbon
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The company is very active in promoting and supporting classic Scrum and Agile - I am not aware of any "toxic whipping bosses": you are expected to be fully responsible for your work - 20% of the work hours are expected to be spent on learning - There are many initiatives to improve people's skills and wellness - There are up to 8 extra fully paid holidays (you get 2 per year of tenure)

Cons

- CTW is still somewhat regarded as a nearshore by BMW. BMW has a classic management mentality and is slowly adapting to Agile, expect some resistance there - There are many projects, and despite all the dissemination initiatives, it is hard to get a full mental picture of all the things happening at the company

5 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company culture and autonomy given to the teams.

Oct 10, 2020 - Product Owner in Porto, Oporto
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Autonomy the management gives to the teams to make decisions and lead their way up and forward. - Flat hierarchy. - General great cooperations within and across teams - Overall great people working there. - Awesome projects and products being build. - Considerable good compensation package, considering general salary level in Portugal, but could improve. - Great company culture - maybe a bit too obsessed with happiness :p

Cons

- Due to lack of hierarchy, some responsibilities, and therefore who makes decisions, seem to not be well defined or at least understood. - Management of newcomers is sometimes a bit messy. Last-minute communications to the teams, some skills missing within the teams or changes in members. Luckily it is something manageable so the impact is in the end not that negative. - The autonomy of decision claimed to be given to the teams is missing in some aspects due to the direct link to BMW and restrictions imposed by BMW, such as having to work with old project tools and putting excessive restrictions in the use of other softwares that could facilitate the work of the teams hugely. Sometimes difficulties imposed again by BMW to really apply agile and/or user-centric development. - CTW claims to not be tied to BMW practices, but in the very deep of it they remain somehow tied to their processes and restrictions, which puts burdens on agility and satisfaction of the teams.

3 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hi colleague! It's great to read that you love our culture, flat hierarchy, our projects, the spirit of cooperation and especially our people, because this is the most challenging to achieve in any company. And yes, we do believe that happiness at work is an enabler for that, you may call it in obsession, but it is a healthy one :) Now do we have room for improvement? Yes! And we want to count on you to help us build that road - so feel free to send through suggestions on how we can continue to do so.

6. 1.0

Don't be fooled

Jan 9, 2020 - Rockstar Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing colleagues Cake every day at 16h Free parking

Cons

Don't believe that you are part of the BMW group. In reality you are just a consultant for BMW. You have no freedom. The user stories are very strict and before you can improve anything you need to get approval to someone at BMW. Its some kind of ironic that CTW has that "free the code monkey campaign"......  I don't know the details from all projects but for what i could see most of them are tedious and you don't have nothing to do beside giving support The organization is a mess you just see 20-25 new employes entering every 2 weeks. Some of them just appear at your team without any notice or plan for what they should do. The luck is that if you got lucky the team members are super helpful and will do everything to help you.

8 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hello, if you question being part of the BMW, then it is a legal thing, and we are! But we know the legal part does not make you part of anything. Being part of something is an attitude, a mindset and you also have to do your own part. We have just been here for 18 months, and our BMW colleagues have decades on the topics!! I see it reasonable and helpful that they are working with us and drive some of the user stories. Of course, that does not mean you have to follow them blindly. If you do not agree with something, just provide your honest opinion. Being honest and open always pays off and this is the culture we are creating and want to create at CTW. We work in many areas: car platform, entertainment, production, logistics, finance, aftermarket, mobile, mobility, etc. Every project has many challenges, depending on what you love but mainly how you addressed it. My challenge to you is: try to find with us your dream projects, we have 80+ projects, and if you can’t discover one, you should look somewhere else. Do what you love! We sill support you the best way we can. It is true that we are growing fast, which brings some challenges but looking at the past 18 months and what we have already built, we should be proud of it. We agree that growing is challenging, requires everyones effort, patience and commitment in the short term, but, we also believe that this is what we makes us feel joy, fulfilled and proud in the future. This is not a promise; you just also have to believe it!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for

Apr 24, 2020 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere. Good place to evolve.

Cons

Some challenges regarding differences in BMW culture and CTW culture.

2 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hi colleague! Thank you for your comment - we strive at CTW to create drivers of Happiness, fundamental ones being Relationships and Growth, which you touch upon in your comment. Regarding culture, and differences between BMW culture and CTW culture, it is something that takes time, like with all changes, microsteps each day, honest conversations - and trying to be a role model of behaviour for everyone. Some days we are, and some days, maybe we could have done it better (I also speak for myself!) but I believe we'll get there if we have this vision. Thanks once again for the taking the time to leave a comment.

8. 1.0

Don't be fooled

Nov 7, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Informal environment - You have a master chef that cooks small treats for you

Cons

- Critical Techworks offers a lot of mechanisms for learning such as conferences, pairings and so on but HR team takes too long to reply (or might not reply at all). I think this happens because team is too small and there a lot of request, but is definitely something that should be improved. Some people didn't attend conferences because when they received the reply the conference was already fully booked. - Although it promotes a flat hierarchy I think that management and employees don't really know what is a flat hierarchy. We are told that there is no team leaders but people always put Scrum Master as a team leader and, if you search a bit on LinkedIn, many CTW Scrum Masters see themselves as team leaders. This enables them to decide things within the teams without sharing it with the rest of the team and goes against that flatness that CTW strives for. - Another of the values that CTW strives for is the transparency but it doesn't quite happen. Sometimes you only know the decisions that were made by someone (either the Scrum Master, Product Owner or CTO itself) when is already too late and nothing can be done about it. - It seams that you care more about what the company looks to people outside of the company than the happiness of people inside of the company. You should try to get feedback of employees and see what they think it can be improved and try to act on it. - The evaluation process it ins't really transparent when it comes to salary. After you finish the process you don't really know if you are going to get a increase in your salary until the communication phase, where is already too late to act on it. - A lot of people have little or no work at all. I heard of cases where people are 3 months without being assigned to a project. - Focus on quality instead of quantity. Right now CTW wants to grow so much that they are hiring everyone instead of hiring qualified people.

12 people found this review helpful

Chief of Purpose

Hi, thank you for your feedback. It is clear from your opinion that we are not doing enough in some areas. Some issues you mention are being tackled whilst others take time to happen: values such as autonomy, servant leadership, mindfulness, joy, empathy, happiness at work require a cultural/mindset shift from all of us and some flexibility in navigating the (sometimes uncomfortable) path of change. We are aware this shift will not happen overnight, but we are focused on making it happen. But we also realise that we can’t do it on our own. We need people like yourself to lead the way and support us in this process. Our vision is to have senior people like yourself in supporting our junior colleagues to grow and creating that quality talent you feel is missing. Lastly, I just wanted to leave the door open for you to come and talk to us directly with feedback, ideas and solutions.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews