KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Critical TechWorks

Engaged Employer

Critical TechWorks

Add a Review

Critical TechWorks Employee Reviews about "culture"

Updated Jun 24, 2022

Found 24 of over 166 reviews

4.4

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "culture"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst employment experience I ever had

Feb 10, 2021 - Rockstar Developer in Porto, Oporto
    Business Outlook

Pros

* You will have BMW group experience in your CV when you decide to leave. * Insurance is nice for Portugal. * You may have nice benefits like travelling to Munich if you connect with right people from BMW.

Cons

* You will be underpaid. * You will always be stressed and exhausted from amount of work you have to do and unprofessional management in Critical. * Working culture is toxic here. You will never receive credit for your ideas and accomplishments. But if you fail, be sure you will be the only responsible. * Career growth is broken, your performance never matter, everything here is based on favouritism. Don't expect any decent promotion unless you have connections. * Staff turnover is high, company CEO explicitly states that you should leave if you don't like something. * Expect managers and leadership to lie directly to your face to get short-term benefit.

4 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hi! We’re sorry that your experience wasn’t the best. Sometimes relationships simply don’t work out – it seems to have been the case here - and in that scenario, the best for both parties is to part ways. Fortunately, it’s not the experience of the majority of CTW employees, as reflected in our recent engagement survey, where 93% of our colleagues said that they would recommend CTW to someone as an employer. We really wish you all the best in your future work experiences.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great Poace to Work

Dec 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great offices and management. Good culture and equipment.

Cons

Below average salary for the industry standard

2 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hi colleague, we are very proud of our offices (our soon to be office in Lisbon will be amazing) - and even more of our culture, of keeping joy in motion - so thanks for writing that! Regarding salaries, we pay at industry average, we don't cut corners and we recognize awesomeness, using our compensation policy as one mechanism!

3. 5.0

Great work-life balance

May 31, 2022 - Product Owner in Lisbon, Lisbon
    Business Outlook

Pros

CTW culture is great. People are really interested in the well being of the employees. They foment the ongoing growth of the employees.

Cons

The company has a flat organization, sometimes it's difficult to escalate a problem.

Critical TechWorks Response

Hi colleague. We are very pleased when our team members identify themselves with the culture of our company. Thank you for your review. Regarding to the hierarchy of our organization, we intend to encourage the autonomy and that is our main philosophy. We intend that our collaborators feel free, not only to give and receive feedback, but also to be able to assume tasks in the moment they are asked for. Do not hesitate to contact us for any suggestion!

4. 3.0
    Former Employee

Growing Pains

Jan 5, 2021 - Data Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

It has good company culture

Cons

Boundaries with BMW are iffy

1 person found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hi! It’s great reading regarding our company culture, as this is something we pride ourselves in – a culture where people work together, in autonomous teams, believing in engineering excellence and focused and inspired in changing the way the world moves. We don't know what you mean by iffy but our aim is to work together, as a team with BMW. We see ourselves as one team with network of relations. Yes, uncertainty is part of the job, even more when we are still developing and growing our relationship. Thanks for your review!

5. 1.0
    Current Employee

Go to CTW and see

Oct 29, 2021 - Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are few people where you can learn and getting more knowledge

Cons

First of all, if review is good, someone write thanks. If not good someone will write like as: 'the problem is you' 85% of people are toxic. toxic culture where the toxics are loved. In some teams management act to downsize you. Some envious about your salary. Team managment lie on your face and act like don't know facts. Descrimination: same jobs, same role, same responsability, same skills, but someone with child earn more money than you annuarly, just and only because kids. You should be paid about skills, not about having children Be carefull about what you say on write on communication channels, even on informal moments.

6 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hi colleague, I agree with you that people should "come to CTW and see" - that is the only way you can experience the true culture of an organization. The only thing that I can say from your comments is that you are clearly not happy, so what keeps you here? Go search for somewhere you can be happy, and I say this very sincerely, as someone who in the past, also was not happy in a previous job experience. Life is too short! Go find what makes you happy and the people that do make you happy.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Company with relentless drive to innovate and improve

Jan 7, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Porto, Oporto
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and mindset within the company. Transparent path of personal development. Various interesting topics in BMW IT- & BMW car systems to work on.

Cons

Fast growing company, due to that a reduction of span of command should be executed.

7. 5.0

Great experience

May 17, 2022 - Developer in Porto, Oporto
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and great work-life balance

Cons

None that I can think of

Critical TechWorks Response

Hello! Thank you for your review. It's awesome to know you've had a positive experience at Critical TechWorks and enjoyed our culture. We wish you all the best in the future!

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company culture and autonomy given to the teams.

Oct 10, 2020 - Product Owner in Porto, Oporto
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Autonomy the management gives to the teams to make decisions and lead their way up and forward. - Flat hierarchy. - General great cooperations within and across teams - Overall great people working there. - Awesome projects and products being build. - Considerable good compensation package, considering general salary level in Portugal, but could improve. - Great company culture - maybe a bit too obsessed with happiness :p

Cons

- Due to lack of hierarchy, some responsibilities, and therefore who makes decisions, seem to not be well defined or at least understood. - Management of newcomers is sometimes a bit messy. Last-minute communications to the teams, some skills missing within the teams or changes in members. Luckily it is something manageable so the impact is in the end not that negative. - The autonomy of decision claimed to be given to the teams is missing in some aspects due to the direct link to BMW and restrictions imposed by BMW, such as having to work with old project tools and putting excessive restrictions in the use of other softwares that could facilitate the work of the teams hugely. Sometimes difficulties imposed again by BMW to really apply agile and/or user-centric development. - CTW claims to not be tied to BMW practices, but in the very deep of it they remain somehow tied to their processes and restrictions, which puts burdens on agility and satisfaction of the teams.

3 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hi colleague! It's great to read that you love our culture, flat hierarchy, our projects, the spirit of cooperation and especially our people, because this is the most challenging to achieve in any company. And yes, we do believe that happiness at work is an enabler for that, you may call it in obsession, but it is a healthy one :) Now do we have room for improvement? Yes! And we want to count on you to help us build that road - so feel free to send through suggestions on how we can continue to do so.

9. 3.0

Great environment, terrible management

Apr 12, 2021 - Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture and friendly environment created is nice. Mindfulness, yoga sessions among others.

Cons

There is no direction and decisions made by some management seem random and uninformed, hurting the business. Technical directors too busy to help. Lack of visibility about what happens at unit level.

3 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hi colleague, I'm so glad you enjoy our culture and environment, which is one of the most challenging things to build: a culture where people build connections, work in autonomous teams, to change the way the world move by building the best software products. This autonomy implies that each and every one of us take ownership, being able to navigate the uncomfortableness of not having a manager, this isn't easy and takes time. Thanks once again for your comment!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for

Apr 24, 2020 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere. Good place to evolve.

Cons

Some challenges regarding differences in BMW culture and CTW culture.

2 people found this review helpful

Happiness Director

Hi colleague! Thank you for your comment - we strive at CTW to create drivers of Happiness, fundamental ones being Relationships and Growth, which you touch upon in your comment. Regarding culture, and differences between BMW culture and CTW culture, it is something that takes time, like with all changes, microsteps each day, honest conversations - and trying to be a role model of behaviour for everyone. Some days we are, and some days, maybe we could have done it better (I also speak for myself!) but I believe we'll get there if we have this vision. Thanks once again for the taking the time to leave a comment.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews