Cross Country Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Cross Country Healthcare CEO William Grubbs
William Grubbs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great salary, good benefits, and wonderful dress code" (in 11 reviews)

• "Work / Life balance, great learning opportunities and supportive coworkers" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "work/life balance: sometimes it's hard to turn it off and you find yourself working even on your days off" (in 4 reviews)

• "Upper management prone to micromanaging staff, high turnover rate in accounting department, old management style and lack of upward mobility" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I have been working at Cross Country Healthcare full-time

Pros

The company is doing a lot to support focus on their staff and grow. The company runs lean but it gives the opportunity to take on a lot. Care for the healthcare professionals is always top of mind and there is constant review of how we can be doing more.

Cons

As long as you can keep up with the pace, it is a great place to be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication across the company.

2. "Credentialing"

I worked at Cross Country Healthcare full-time

Pros

Good benefits as far as healthcare and dental

Cons

Overworked and under paid with management not caring nor good direction

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your staff

"Chaos Under The Big Top – An Infestation of Unprofessional and Unethical Behavior"

I worked at Cross Country Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Health benefits, vacation, personal days, 401k
    - Pay every two weeks
    - Experience that one can gain in the healthcare staffing industry

Cons

I worked there for about four years. That was plenty enough for me. How do we do business development and recruit nurses when ethics go out the window everywhere you look? I had to leave. I couldn’t bare the chaos and toxicity another day. Seeing myself and my coworkers being treated like circus animals or like greyhounds at the race track jumping through hoops for amusement.

My husband was so happy when I started there as was I. I had energy, passion, motivation, and dreams. I believed in the company and what it stood for and what they preached (on paper anyway). Sadly it got to the point where I absolutely dreaded going there every morning. Having to endure my supervisor’s spirit-breaking/humiliating behavior made every day just awful. Making the decision to leave was the best decision I could ever make for myself personally and professionally.

- No professional development
    - Debilitating and demoralizing atmosphere
    - Employees looked at as disposable minions - not developed, mentored or coached properly.
    - Gossipy environments (from the top down)
    - Condescending, humiliating and unethical behavior from management and senior management
    - Zero support from advertising when we really needed it – completely rudderless
    - Retaliation! Welcome to the worldwide leader in retaliation. I don’t care what they tell you in their books or whatever, retaliation there runs wild. There’s no confidentiality and those in management love to reteliate. Do they get in trouble for it? No.. cause they have power and when you have power, you’re not accountable.
    - Manipulation/harassment
    - Disconnected HR department. Shame on them! Pathetic. So many coworkers (including myself twice) complained. They see what’s going on and make you feel like a moron when you approach them. Utterly disgusting. They are the ones that should step in when things are not right. Sadly they’ve become the puppets of management and have to turn their backs on employees out of fear of their own jobs. Sadly employees with concerns had nobody to turn to.
    - Systems and technology are ancient
    - Extremely low morale

Advice to Management

I really liked what the company stood for on paper. But that’s all it is. Just smoke and mirrors. Management only cares for four things only. Money, profitability, power, and their bonuses. It’s about being true leaders and not acting like dictators and treating employees like clowns performing for your laughs. Show your leadership through example. They really need to go into the trenches and ask employees their concerns. Listen and become agents of change. And BE innovative – don’t just preach that you do.

If you want a job with money every two weeks and that blesses you with some benefits.. this is for you! Totally! It’s a job and will keep the lights on and some food in your tummy. But, it will only be a job and that’s it. If you want a career in which you will blossom professionally, thrive and be appreciated – this is not for you. If you want a job where you won’t drive home every night emotionally broken and physically exhausted, you’re totally knockin on the wrong door. I saw so many people so exhausted because they refused to put themselves first, because they believed in something more than themselves. They became skeletons of the people they once were.

I’m so happy now. I am growing professionally, and I have time with my family now.

4. "6 Years - No regrets!"

Former Employee - Web and Multimedia Designer in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Web and Multimedia Designer in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Cross Country Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great community of people working to get caregivers to patients. There are great team members in every department and everyone is friendly.

Cons

Quarter-to-quarter mindset but that's to be expected from a publicly traded company.

Advice to Management

Innovate!

5. "Accounting department"

Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Cross Country Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work with. Opportunity to grow.

Cons

Just not enough time to complete your assignments

Advice to Management

Love the management they are so thoughtful to the employees

6. "*Shrugs* It has potential to be a great company but its not right now"

I worked at Cross Country Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a large company that is well known in the staffing industry.

Cons

Management (at least the area I was in) did not care. They claimed to offer help and support but was never available to do so. Did not feel a sense of appreciation at all.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to staff. The manager I had did not show appreciation at all. In fact at times it came across that she was annoyed with questions asked and when reaching out. She did not want to be bothered at all.

"Accounting"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Cross Country Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First off I’m a CPA and an MBA. I worked at cross country healthcare for over a year. I loved it there, a lot was expected of us as accountants. We needed to think about processes and couldn’t be left to simply be robots and do what had always been done. Everyone that was working hard and could show that they were adding value was promoted. Personally I saw 10-15 people get promoted of all genders and races during my one year tenure at cross country. I left to change my career path but I loved the way it was managed over there. If you produce you get promoted, if you don’t you find an exit. Management is very well trained, and doesn’t expect anything less than how hard they work. The folks in the ivory tower were almost always the last ones working. To conclude if you’re looking for an easy job this isn’t the company. If you want to think and be challenged you’re looking at the right place.

Cons

Everyone is expected to work hard, it’s not easy. You’ll have to work a lot.

Advice to Management

I got nothin

"Garbage. Completely unorganized. Everyone is just looking to do whatever they can whenever they can to save their job."

Pros

Truly difficult to say. Anything good died a long time ago.

Cons

Cross Country Healthcare and it's antiquated systems and management.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

"Accounting"

Current Employee - Accounting in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Accounting in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Cross Country Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a white male narrow minded with lack of leadership, a big ego and poor ethics this is the company for you, otherwise stay away.

Cons

Before I start this review please know this is not coming from a disgruntled employee, this is coming from an employee who really doesn’t want anyone to go through the experience all of the accountants at CCH go through once they get in. I wish I knew someone inside prior to accepting their offer so I could’ve run as far as possible from this place. Beware they will lie at the interview by selling you a company that doesn’t exist because they are desperate to hire anyone who doesn’t truly know the mess of a company they are running and the turnover is real. If they managed to convince you to work here I assure you, you will want to get out on your first week. It is a lie they promote or “are trying” to promote from within and change the structure of the department with the new management. Once you are in you will realize it is the new management who destroyed the dynamic of the department and turned it in a very toxic one. Gossip among management is beyond unprofessional. They will tell you they are cleaning house and this is why people that have been there more than 15 years are no longer there, the reality is they are the ones quitting cause they want to get out before the ship sinks completely. The leaders came from the big 4 and think they know it all yet have no idea how to run the department nor understand the needy greedy of day to day accounting. They are lucky the few old seniors who are left can still do their books, yet with so many new people the majority are lost as well. The entire upper management department has been replaced by “friends” in the industry, not one or two but all leaving 0 opportunity for those who truly perform excel and try to get promoted. If you are a recent graduate as an experienced accountant and one that had the opportunity to work for real corporate America my advice is don’t come here. You want to be shaped by the best structure you can have and you won’t get that here. Ethics do not exist here. They will pad themselves in the back when you quit as an accomplishment instead of looking at themselves to see why everyone keeps quitting on them. Don’t be surprised if you hear them asking who is next and instead of building you up they will build you out of there by reminding you that you are not irreplaceable. Granted that’s a reality everywhere however this is not how you build a strong trusting team. That mentality is of those who have gotten high positions too soon by “friends” and have no idea what a true leader is. They will tell you they are very flexible with time, that you can work from home if you need to. The reality is if you work from home they will trash talk behind your back on how dare you work from home. They work 10+ hours a day at least and during closing you can be there up to 10pm-11pm. If you dare to leave before 7pm they will question you. Closing is not structured, so don’t think is ok because the bad hours are just during closing, the on going joke among us Accountants is that this company is closing all month long. They will close their books and re open them again and again because management has no idea what they are doing so they constantly have to “fix” the issues by making last minute entries. They will bother you over the weekend even if they can wait until normal business hours. You will get a speech about “is all about perspective” so even if you are done with your work they will expect you to stay long hours, so their perspective is in the wrong direction and with big 4 influence instead of corporate accounting. Instead of focusing and asking why people are working so late and questioning their efficiency, their questioning is for those who are efficient and don’t need to be at work ridiculous unnecessary hours. They will call meetings for this, that is the biggest joke of all. If you search for a job they will call you and tell you “they know you are searching for a job” to try to intimidate you. If you give your notice and they try to keep you, beware as per management comments they will keep you just so you can train the new employee they will hire and then they will fire you. So if you get the chance to leave don’t hesitate and do it. Don’t let them lie to you twice. As I said they are all unethical and unprofessional, there must be a reason why they are no longer working on the big 4. If they left before they made partner is because they knew they where weak and got out or where pushed out.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to please quit, you have 0 respect from your staff and absolutely no one trust you. You have no capacity to be forward thinkers and your narrow minds are just a detriment to the rest of the employees who don’t have a voice, need their jobs and are just too afraid to say anything to you. If you are a shareholder and happen to bother to read this, if I were you I would start questioning the turnover in one of the most important departments of your company, the one who determines revenue vs cost. At this rate you will never make it to the billion dollar revenue public company you want to be, even with a thousand acquisitions. How can you make the new acquisitions profitable when you can’t even properly run the ones you currently own? We do not run lean, and cost efficiencies are turned down by your current management because they can’t keep up with technology. And their favorite word when they can’t do proper research of unnecessary cost is “is immaterial write it off”. Well, I got news for you, immaterial becomes material very quickly. We have empty desks full of dust because they over spend in real estate you don’t need. You have employees who are also afraid to keep up with technology and efficiencies so they refuse to use new tools that help them accomplish in less than an hour what they do in four days. You are not at the level you pretend to be so save your money and invest instead in an outside company who can come in assess and truly clean your house where it needs it. And beware that even among your upper management they can’t make your company successful because they are afraid of the repercussions among other management who are “best friends” of top management and know they could get fired. I would wish you good luck but I think that ship already sank.

Cross Country Healthcare Response

Jun 27, 2018 – Marketing Manager

At Cross Country Healthcare we strive to create an environment where our employees feel comfortable discussing important issues with management and their direct supervisors. We sincerely appreciate... More

"Recruiter"

I worked at Cross Country Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location and chance to move around

Cons

Poor leadership running the company