Cross Cultural Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Steven C. Rosenthal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Passionate People"

Pros

Awesome and passionate people, opportunity for travel

Cons

low salary, a lot of change

2. "Good place to work for"

Pros

They offer many job assignments

Cons

Tgey make you call the patient's or client's to confirm appointment.
    The pay is low, they don't reimburse for millage
    No space to advance
    They only refund $1.00 for parking even if you pay $10.00 for parking

3. "Program Manager"

I worked at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time

Pros

Great mission and staff abroad, opportunities to travel, if you take initiative you can learn new skills

Cons

Organization is losing money due to competition
    High turnover rate, no opportunity for growth
    Low salary with little movment and sometimes raise freezes

Advice to Management

Leverage the skills of your team and make them feel they have ownership over projects. Pay your staff fairly and promote staff, so they have incentive to work harder

4. "Great mission, wonderful people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff is empowered to make decisions, take risks, try new things, and really drive their own career development. You definitely need to earn that kind of independence/trust, but once you have it, you can go very far. Of course, the travel opportunities and the people you meet along the way are absolutely amazing, and if you take advantage of the programs, you'll be constantly reminded of the work on the ground and how important it is.

Cons

The organization was definitely experiencing some growing pains when I left, but it sounds like they're back on their feet and launching some exciting new programs/products.

5. "Teacher associate"

I worked at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time

Pros

Wonderful staff beautiful Environment
    With the different cultures different ages wonderful parents
    All centers are easy to get to bus or driving

Cons

No advancement and growth no help with going to school
    I turnover with the different teachers never the same staff every other week

Advice to Management

Make sure teachers are happy
     Make sure staff are safe from parents and other problems
    Maybe start training for stressful for teachers

"Program Advisor"

I worked at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time

Pros

In New York office - Really wonderful "work family" and you can always find a way to be inspired by what you're doing. Cool office building.

Cons

Leadership, from top to bottom seems to have their roles due to tenure at the office, not necessarily competency to be in a leadership role. This is not to say that all the leaders in the office are completely incompetent, but there is a definite sense of a need to use "carrots" or "sticks", rather than ability to inspire intrinsic motivation, which should be easy in an organization doing this.
    No job stability as finances are always questionable.

7. "Best work experience of my life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY

Pros

CCS is the best company I have ever worked for. Everyone that works at CCS really believes in the mission. In an organization of 300 people there are always a few unhappy people and it is a shame to see that those few people are the ones that write reviews on sites like this. I hope the public can see through that. Here's a conversation closer on the issue: CCS was selected as one of the top 50 nonprofits to work for in the U.S. for the last 3 years consecutively by the nonprofit times. And, the award is based on employee feedback. So people love this place, don't believe the small percent of haters that didn't work out. CCS changed my life!

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! You inspire me.

8. "Non profit that is run like a for profit company."

Pros

I liked that they let us travel to a program each year.

Cons

Compensation for the lower level people was low, but for higher level people seemed very high.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep the talented younger staff, consider increasing your salaries.

9. "Inspiring Workplace, Passionate Colleagues"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in New Rochelle, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in New Rochelle, NY

I have been working at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to work in an environment where you're inspired every day and you're truly valued, CCS is the place! I'm surrounded by colleagues who have all taken part in our programs as an international volunteers, and are passionate about global issues and their next program and travel experience. CCS is the type of work environment where motivated go-getters can go far - your ideas are listened to, and you have the opportunity to put them into action. This is the type of place where I look forward to going to work!

Cons

The commute can be a bit lengthy coming from New York City!

"Time for major change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was nice working for a mission I was passionate about and speaking with people who were excited about volunteering abroad. My position offered many opportunities to travel abroad and volunteer during the course of my employment. I enjoyed spending time with my team members inside and outside of the office.

Getting to know our staff members in other countries around the world was the best perk of the job. Our country directors were amazing people.

Good benefits, lots of time off.

Cons

Unfortunately, CCS has been in a downward spiral ever since I joined the organization. There have been three rounds of layoffs and probably more to come. There is no real leadership or vision to improve the organization's situation; yet the senior management seems immune to any consequences from these struggles. It was frustrating to see senior management make the same mistakes over and over again, only to be forced to lay-off more employees to fix their mistakes.

Management team makes annual budgets based on improving sales and revenue; which never happens. People who put together these unrealistic budgets are never held accountable for their lack of foresight. The blame is usually thrust upon entry-level employees who are really in a no-win situation because they have no actual tools to improve sales on a stale product.

Office hours are 9 to 6 with a mandatory unpaid 1 hour lunch. This makes living in Manhattan and commuting to New Rochelle very difficult.

Office morale is low due to constant missed goals, budget cuts, and lay-offs.

Advice to Management

I don't know how to fix the organization, but I know that trying to sell the same overpriced product to consumers who have shown they have no interest in it is not a sound strategy. It is time for drastic changes. It is time for a shake-up at the senior management level and someone who will bring in actual new ideas, and not just superficial changes like a new website and logo.

CEO Steve Rosenthal needs to be removed from the Board of Directors. It's against non-profit best practices to have the CEO on the Board, and it creates a conflict of interest for this struggling organization. The thing that CCS needs most is a strong, independent Board of Directors who demand accountability and results from CCS' grossly overpaid executive team.