Crossix Solutions Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Asaf Evenhaim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great starting place to launch a career"

Former Employee - Marketing Operations Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Operations Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Crossix Solutions Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Work hard, play hard culture
    -Young start-up feel
    -Regular social activities like happy hours, monthly birthday celebrations, holiday parties
    - High level of responsibility and self-direction
    -Good mentorship
    -Solid pay, though similar positions elsewhere pay more for less demanding schedules
    -Flexible vacation days

Cons

-Huge gap between externally hired managers who don't understand how the analytics works vs. the analysts who struggle to make sense of the data
    - Extremely high turnover rate; the NY office lost about 1-3 people per month. Usually these are analysts or lead analysts who found better jobs.
    -The approach to data analysis is totally unique to Crossix. 5 full weeks of 9am-5pm training for new hires is not nearly enough to understand how to run an analysis. Most analysts don't get the hang of things until ~6 months of work.
    - Analysts do the vast majority of the work in the company, but it differs a lot by team. The analyst on my team regularly worked 9am-8pm most days, and she was an excellent analyst. An analyst who was worse at her job on another team would work 10am-6pm most days. It's expected that most analysts work a ton, including weekends, to get things done right.
    - Knowledge is not shared well. Teams constantly find new analytical approaches and best practices, but it could take months before the entire company catches on. Communication between teams is lacking.
    - Healthcare marketing data analytics is a very specific field, and although it's a solid first job for reasons like pay and front-line responsibility and culture, it's difficult to move on to something new (and you'll want to move on after about a year)
    - The sales team doesn't interact enough with client services, meaning they are signing a ton of projects even though CS can barely support the existing workload. Expect analysts to work even more in the future.

Advice to Management

-Stop hiring so many external people for higher-up positions - it takes years to master Crossix analytics
    - Consider paying overtime, or at least logging it, so managers understand how hard some of the analysts work
    - Find a better way to communicate best practices to the company
    - Rather than hire more sales guys and sign contracts for things we may not have capacity to deliver on, focus on producing higher quality deliverables for existing clients.

"Great experience at a smaller company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Crossix Solutions Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great analytical experience from working on a variety of client projects and new products. Analysts get great practice with troubleshooting, problem-solving, thinking through client objectives, and working across departments and with senior management. Allows you to gain a lot of responsibility early on in your career. Best part of the job is the people- all extremely nice and intelligent individuals.

Cons

Much of the analytics are specific to Crossix and specific to the industry of healthcare marketing. Some teams and roles can have unpredictable hours. Small companies experience growing pains.

Advice to Management

Put more standard practices in place. Focus investments in hiring new personnel where there is greatest internal need in order to smooth out the workload and keep employees happy.

"Great entry level job, Great Company!"

Current Employee - Marketing Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Crossix Solutions Inc. (Less than a year)

Pros

Great compensation package; supportive managers/supervisors; excellent culture with lots of young people and casual work environment; interesting work and opportunities to develop valuable skill sets

Cons

Hours can be long sometimes; running calculations for some projects can take many hours and can be inefficient

Advice to Management

Keep investing in culture, new talent and infrastructure upgrades; be careful about gettng too much business given the current number of analysts

"poor place to start"

Former Employee - Marketing Data Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Crossix Solutions Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you can leave at 6 if your work is done

Cons

bonuses generally have nothing to do with your work performance, but if you suck up to the CFO enough; pay is low and not competitive; some VPs are very hard to work with; training module is not very good; no one cares about empowering employees, so morale is generally low

Advice to Management

reconsider some of you VPs

5. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing Data Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Crossix Solutions Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues and good outside work events.

Cons

Work is tough. Have to be patient an willing to put in the time, s you should.

Advice to Management

More,better communication

"Big data and marketing in a fun, growing company"

I have been working at Crossix Solutions Inc. full-time

Pros

I have found the job to be a very good place for me to get experience in Big Data and marketing, as well as overall corporate experience, including working in groups and with clients. Crossix has a solid training program with mentors and internal clubs so you can gain experience presenting, take leadership and eventually get in front of clients. I really enjoy the environment. Most people are really smart – from great schools – but fun also. Some people get promoted up (there are managers and directors who started as analysts) and others wind up moving on to either graduate school or sometimes other pretty impressive career steps. The experience is terrific whether staying or moving on.

Cons

Since the company hires many just a few years out of school, there’s natural movement each year which can sometimes feel like constant transition. But for those who fit well, the opportunities grow, with new responsibilities like training new staff, mentoring and involvement in new product development.

"Deeply engaging, fun and interesting"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Crossix Solutions Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has grown so much in my time here, and I have enjoyed and benefited from that growth, with more responsibility and opportunity to move in directions that initially stretch me but ultimately have fueled my professional development. Management has put an emphasis on this development of its people, with mentoring, training and opportunities to take leadership roles even early on. We are paid very well.

Crossix is about big data and marketing analytics, and the company has cool proprietary advantages in the market and works really closely with its clients -- advertisers, media cos and agencies. I have benefited from this, developing analytical skills, client skills and even thinking about and solving cutting edge marketing analytics challenges. It's deeply satisfying to work for a company perceived so positively by our clients.

For the most part, we have a highly skilled and talented group of people, highly engaged and working (and socializing at times) together. We do have a few who do not engage (more on this in Cons below), and I think this results from a somewhat myopic view of what the company does and the breadth of opportunities for employee exposure (or perceived lack of breadth).

Cons

The company is growing but not large, and while management has put in place structures to reward strong performers, to be successful you must be willing to work hard. Crossix is definitely a place where you get out of it what you put into it. As mentioned above in Pros, some are less engaged; they get fewer and less interesting projects and get less out of the experience (Crossix is a company that rewards engagement and its strong performers).

For the strong performers, this often involves working around client deadlines and sometimes long hours. Late nights and weekends are possible, but not certainly not routine (most of the time the hours are more reasonable).

Advice to Management

Continue to hire good people and focus on client service. It's deeply satisfying to work at a company perceived so positively by our clients. Perhaps communicate a little more about strategy and direction.

"Character Building but Unpleasant"

I have been working at Crossix Solutions Inc. full-time

Pros

The company is pretty small, around 30 people. The office is in midtown Manhattan and they have floor to themselves in an open office environment.

It's difficult to get a sense of the job through the job description, ironically (and I was told later it was deliberately so). I thought it would be like consulting for media and pharmaceutical companies. On the broad scale, it kind of is but it's a lot more "hard skills" than I thought going into it. The Marketing Data Analyst position, as opposed to the Marketing Operations Analyst (there is a difference), requires you to learn SQL, a computer language where you manipulate very large amounts of data, mixed in with Crossix's own proprietary software. It's obtuse at times but it's become more and more standardized across the years but there are always bugs. There is some interactions with clients but rare - most of that is up to the VPs or Marketing Operations Analyst who are a little more managerial and work with Powerpoint to demonstrate the "findings" in the software.

A good part of the job is that you get pretty skilled in "analysis". They're very big on statistics, they pay you to learn a pretty industry-standard language, SQL, which can lead to other opportunities if you're looking for that (my LinkedIn exploded for most Marketing Companies) and the open office structure is nice.

Cons

Some frustrating parts of the job is that, despite being a small company, management can be a big obstacle at times - never once had a meeting started on time. While this may not seem like a big deal, as an analyst, the decisions made in these meetings affect how you go about your project and can lead to doing things over, and over, and over until 11 PM on weekdays and weekends if management hasn't decided how to go forward. Despite being a "start-up", they had pretty strict rules about when/where you can leave, in addition to the expectation of irregular work hours (working on the weekends is a norm), constant office gossip about where people may be transitioning to, and they asked us to come in during Hurricane Sandy which was hardcore. They run on a "deliverable" schedule meaning you always have projects due even if things go horribly wrong, which they can because the proprietary language and large amounts of data can frequently crash your computer. Another challenge is the very high turnover rate in the company - very few people have stuck through past 2 years since a lot of the skills aren't transferable. It's a very "work you till you break" atmosphere.

Also, there's a suspicion that HR, (composed of 2 people) write some of the more positive reviews on Glassdoor. Hint, no one uses the phrase "cutting-edge".

Overall, I would not recommend the experience unless it's something very specific like experience in pharma-marketing data right after graduating college. I definitely know some who like the role and thrive at the company but I liken the experience to hiking in the rain: character building but unpleasant.

9. "Growth Company with a Bright Future"

Current Employee - Marketing Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Crossix Solutions Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Given the state of the reviews on here, I wanted to provide my perspective. I started about 8 months ago and I am quite happy working here.

There are three things I like best about Crossix: A unique position within the healthcare sector, training in ‘big data’, and a ‘work hard/play hard culture’ where I have become close with my co-workers.

First, the firm’s position: Crossix is perfectly situated to provide clarity to firms across the sector looking to navigate a rapidly changing healthcare space. Management is always looking for new ways to design products are to meet the changing needs of the healthcare industry. It’s a creative environment – I’ve found it an exciting place to work.

Second, training and experience: Healthcare is a great industry to be in right now, and Crossix also provides experience in ‘big data’, one of the hottest trends in business right now. I’ve gained the skills to analyze major marketing campaigns, exposure to the top healthcare and pharma companies, as well as a strong understanding of the overall dynamic of the healthcare sector.

Finally, contrary to some posts, I do believe Crossix’s people are its best asset. Work is intense and teams are close-knit, which is not for everyone. You’re as likely forge bonds over working a few late nights as you are over a drink during happy hour. Most analysts are close in age, and I have forged strong friendships with a number of my peers.

Cons

Hours can be irregular. The work is project-based and deadline-driven. Employees take pride in their work, and during busy times of the year you must be ready to deal with high stress levels. As with most client-services jobs, hours and work depend largely on clients’ needs. Workload often hits in waves, followed by shorter periods of downtime in-between projects. The company’s rapid growth has brought some growing pains, namely balancing managing its employees and managing a growing number of clients and projects.

The company’s focus on results and meeting deadlines occasionally results in poor communication between management and people at the analyst level. Broken lines of communication during busier times of the year have led to some undue anxiety. Management is working to improve communication and adjust to growth, but nothing is perfect and the iterative process of figuring out what does and does not work means change happens incrementally and unevenly. When busy, these issues take a backseat to generating new business or maintaining major clients.

It’s a start-up environment, if you are uncomfortable standing up for yourself and communicating your concerns with management, you will struggle here.

Advice to Management

Continue to try different ways to improve communication. More explicit communication of the vision for the company would help people better understand the company within a larger context as well as performance expectations. The divergent nature of reviews on Glassdoor illustrates the differing perspective between those unwilling or unable to ‘buy in’, versus those interested in pushing and growing Crossix further.

"Growing company with incredible opportunity and potential"

Current Employee - Marketing Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Crossix Solutions Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Crossix brings a unique, cutting edge service to the industry and is slowly becoming the market standard. Employees at all levels have the opportunity to contribute to the development of new products and offerings in a seemingly limitless new field.

The work is interesting and engaging and as a small company with a constant inflow of new business, there is a great deal of responsibility to be given to those who are up for the challenge. It is a great place for young employees to get meaningful experience starting a career in the pharmaceutical or marketing industries.

Constant growth makes for an extremely exciting work environment, bringing new challenges to be faced constantly. Very few projects are routine and most demand new, creative approaches in order to be completed successfully.

Young company culture and frequent happy hours make for an enjoyable work life balance.

Cons

The company is in a constant state of change and growth with somewhat frequent restructuring in order to accommodate expansion. This might be unsettling for employees looking to settle into a routine.

The amount of work to go around requires employees to be self starters who are prepared to take on the responsibility of shaping this young and highly dynamic company.

Hours are somewhat irregular and late nights are occasionally demanded to complete deadline driven work.

Advice to Management

Growing pains are inevitable in a young, quickly expanding company. Only through embracing change will the company reach its full potential. Continue to solicit and listen to feedback from employees; it is appreciated more than you know.