Crossland Construction Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Crossland Construction Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Crossland largely allows PM’s to run projects as they see fit as long as you’re following some ground rules and being ethical.

Good pay, OK benefits.

Cons

Some people require more oversight than is generally given.

Standard long hours as any GC management position.

Limited growth and career path potential as a salary employee.

2. "Cares About Their Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, KS

I have been working at Crossland Construction Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Crossland truly cares about their employees which contributes to the culture and family feel of the company. They are a very stable company that continually finds ways to grow. I'm always proud to say I work for Crossland!

Cons

Growing so rapidly has some challenges, but I believe the company is putting processes and strategic plans in place to help with this.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide support and opportunities to grow. Alway stay true to the culture, values, and foundation that got us where we are today.

3. "Crossland Construction is Leading the Way!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, KS

Pros

Very family-oriented, flexible schedule, competitive wages, opportunity for growth, outstanding opportunity for education advancement, mentor program, opportunity to utilize several Crossland owned properties for personal enjoyment, great incentives for field workers

Cons

lack of communication with upper management, lack of incentives for office personnel

Advice to Management

Work on communicating down the chain of command, increase perks for office workers

4. "Quality place to work"

I have been working at Crossland Construction Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very family oriented. A lot of opportunity for growth. Crossland offers a lot of in-house education materials/resources to help you move up in your career. Some nice perks like a great Christmas party, Company Picnic, management retreats, etc. Compensation is very competitive.

Cons

Seems to be a lot of rewards for field guys, but not office employees. Don't offer enough benefits. Health insurance is very expensive and no vision insurance is offered. They do no offer paid sick leave or family leave when having children, and they do not give you very much PTO.

Advice to Management

Give or let employees earn more vacation time.

5. "Separating good from great."

I have been working at Crossland Construction Company full-time

Pros

I have been with Crossland for 10 years. The family feel is what I love. Their grass roots philosophy keeps me here. Crossland has taken care of me every step of the way and has given me opportunities very early that were much appreciated. The list is long or Pros that come with working for Crossland.

Cons

I pay over $600 a month for Insurance for me and my family. I have worked with our competitors in the past and paid way less. Our 401k is nothing special. It's ok but it could be better.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to find a way to lower our insurance rates. Our pay is competitive but not over the top. Crossland typically gets jobs with crazy fast schedules that take away from family time. We are getting huge and maybe a little too fast. We don't need to damage our quality by too much quantity.

6. "Good, but could be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, KS

Pros

Family oriented. A lot of opportunity for growth and upward movement if you work hard. They offer a strong in-house education department to help you move up in your career. Management has a clear vision for the future of the company, and it is exciting! Everyone is very driven here. They offer some nice perks like a great Christmas party, Company Picnic, management retreats, etc.

Cons

Do not offer enough in way of benefits. Health insurance is very expensive. They do no offer paid sick leave or family leave when having children, and they do not give you very much PTO. 401K retirement match is okay...not great.

Advice to Management

Salaries are competitive with other companies, which is good. Crossland expects a lot out of their employees, and that is good. However, to keep turnover low, and increase retention, you need to realize that in today's world, culture matters even more than pay. I could go to about any company right now and make the same, or even more money. Better benefits would go a long way to keep everyone feeling like Crossland management really cares about its employees and their families. Time with family is so valuable, and with Crossland, you have to work here a long time before you have enough PTO to feel like you can even take a vacation. Working long and hard days for the company is great, and makes you feel like you are contributing to something bigger, but being able to take time with your family is even more important. Most of my fellow employees work at least 50 or 60 hrs a week. So, more PTO in way of sick leave, vacation, or some sort of "flex time" would be an incredible benefit. Thanks!

7. "lots of long hours."

Current Employee - Superintendent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Dallas, TX

Pros

the vision the company has is amazing and easy to get behind. their education department and their continuing education requirement really help pave the way for their future goals. they do a lot for their employees like division outings once a month, superintendents retreat, Christmas party, etc. competitive pay and the benefits are ok.

Cons

work life to home life is something to be desired, most field salary employees put in 60-70 hours a week or more and give you little to no help when needed. their self perform crews lack skilled labor and tend to show up on the job unprepared but it is new to this division so hopefully with time it will become more efficient. poor communication with upper management. it is not uncommon to see a superintendent working with his tools.

Advice to Management

care about your employees more. communicate with them, express your individual plans for the employee with them, let them know what their stealth and weaknesses are. try cutting down the hours your employees are working and be more appreciative of the time they put in.

8. "pre-fab"

Former Employee - Laborer in Columbus, KS
    Former Employee - Laborer in Columbus, KS

I worked at Crossland Construction Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

4.00$ lunches on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Cons

they have really poor management

Advice to Management

care more about your employees

9. "Gate Gaurd"

Current Employee - Gate Guard in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Gate Guard in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Very family oriented. Room for advancement. Competitive pay.

Cons

Requires a College degree for Salary Positions regardless of how much experience you have.

10. "Superintendent"

Current Employee - Construction Superintendent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Construction Superintendent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Crossland Construction Company full-time

Pros

Short commute. Good equipment steady employment

Cons

Poor communication, lack of team feeling. Lots of growing pains in the Dallas office. Self performing division is very slow and no real skills.