Crossover for Work Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2021

3.8
Crossover for Work CEO Andy Tryba (no image)
Andy Tryba
Pros
  • "Remote work hence you get rid of travel time(in 137 reviews)

• "I really feel thrilled when I talk about my job in Crossover(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • "No social life, No Job Security(in 57 reviews)

• "Contractual job no benefits other than salary(in 31 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Happy Employee of Two Years"

5.0
    Current Employee - Knowledge Architect

I have been working at Crossover for Work full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great flexibility between work and family. Fantastic pay and benefits. Working from the comfort of your own home.

Cons

It may be difficult for some people to adjust to the work from home culture.

February 19, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about working for Crossover. Happy to have you here!

"Best company to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at Crossover for Work full-time

Pros

Team members and culture Best Remote environment

Cons

None so far. It's the best.

December 16, 2020SVP, Org Builder

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are thrilled to hear it is going so well and that you are enjoying your team. Please do let us know if there are areas to improve.

"Not Good"

2.0
    Former Employee - Vice President Product Management in Remote, OR

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time for more than a year

Pros

Crossover does require work from home. For many, this is a good thing and, for me, helped productivity. The salary is good, but depending upon your country's tax situation it might not be as good as it seems on the surface.

Cons

Where do I start? I tried to be objective with my 2-star rating; Crossover isn't unethical or stealing from their employees or anything like that. However, for a seasoned professional, be warned... I joined in one of the Very High Dollar executive-level positions being driven by their desire to acquire 50+ companies in the near term. I'm in the US. As such (and I knew this going in), the tax consequences for being a contractor are non-trivial. There's also the consideration that you must fund any perks yourself - healthcare, retirement, etc. While the salary is generous enough to do that, it's not as shiny as it seems on the surface. Your mileage may vary depending upon your home country. What I really disliked: Constant tracking/ justification of work stream. Seriously. As others have pointed out, it's difficult to actually *get* credit for a full work week without working extra. Especially in some of the higher-level, more 'creative' positions such as architect, product management, etc. there's minimal or no opportunity to review or think over things. For me, I work in bursts followed by small distractions in which I'm running the problems in the background of my thoughts. A variety of coworkers and management in my history have almost universally commented about the volume of good work I produce. Even my peers at Crossover had no problem with the quantity or quality of my production. However, their tracking software and systems simply don't credit anything other than linear, constant "work". This was bad for me, resulting in me working extra, reworking things as I attempting to change my processes, "faking" it, or simply working longer to attempt to make my hours. I also felt bad for some of the more junior or "factory" positions. It really is tracked by the minute, with lots of incentive to find "problems" with productivity. This is really a thinly-veiled method of wringing blood out of a turnip, by finding flaws or gaps and essentially docking pay. Yeah, the salaries are good but the amount of ancillary work that goes into making "real" hours is awful, and I felt like a chump contributing to it. I had to quit for my sanity.

June 9, 2019VP, Content

We appreciate your review. Our wages are paid in USD, so it's not going to be as competitive in high tech markets like San Francisco or Boston in the United States where software development is ultra-competitive. However, wages for the same jobs are very competitive in other US cities and outside the US. Sometimes these wages can be 5-6x the local average. Our business model is unique and isn't for everyone. We aren't trying to be like everyone else. The future of work is being redefined. We pride ourselves in being a pioneer in this new paradigm. If you want to know more about this work model, you can read about it here: https://medium.com/@crossoverforwork/the-factory-model-enabling-massive-scale-across-business-functions-98b18ad574f8

"Not great, not terrible"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Crossover for Work full-time for more than a year

Pros

Payments in due time, fully remote

Cons

Management poor, no care for the employees

December 16, 2020SVP, Org Builder

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective. We are constantly trying to make it a great place for remote work. Our goal is to structure work where it makes sense. We want talent focused on the most important items and remove some of the less important variables. At times this may come across mechanistically and we can continue to work on that. Again, thanks for the feedback.

"No candiate contact or qualification, do not submit to process"

1.0
    Former Employee - Candidate in Austin, TX

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time for less than a year

Pros

Systems in place, I am sure some HR specialist got kudos for developing them.

Cons

Very much a recruiting "round file" process.... Contacts with candidates are suggestive emails implying that you have not responded previously that then lead to online psych tests that fail and reload then default to immediate disqualification.

"Overpromised and Underdelivered."

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The health benefits were good although they did not match the 401K.

Cons

The "unlimited PTO" is not unlimited and there were no paid holidays.

December 18, 2020SVP, Org Builder

Thanks for taking the time to provide us feedback. You are correct that we don't provide Paid Time Off (PTO). However, all opportunities at Crossover allow for time off, public holidays, sick days, and vacation. We ask partners to have conversations with their managers about planned time off to limit the impact on team performance. Our policy is very flexible to accommodate work/life balance. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

"Tough place to work at"

Former Employee - C# Software Architect in Houston, TX

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Remote 100%, paid by the week

Cons

10-minute-picture ensured life is hard since they need you to work like if was aligned to their vision of control

December 16, 2020SVP, Org Builder

Thanks for sharing your perspective. Crossover does use the Worksmart program as a time tracking tool. We find it helps remote workers clock their hours, keep focused and continually get better at working remotely. We are not trying to control anyone, just making time tracking easy to ensure hourly rates are paid appropriately.

"OK"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Crossover for Work full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good technical work, fun engineering problems

Cons

No benefits and paid time off

December 16, 2020SVP, Org Builder

We appreciate your feedback and are glad you are finding the work challenging. You are correct that we don't have PTO or benefits. We instead focus on providing a highly competitive pay rate. We intend this to provide team members options on what benefits are important to them. Crossover also allow people the opportunity to take a break when they need. This is also du to our flexible approach. Thanks again for sharing your perspective.

"Scammers"

2.0
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time for less than a year

Pros

None that I know of. Even pay is bad

Cons

Very bad organisational culture there

December 16, 2020SVP, Org Builder

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your time at Crossover. We are constantly trying to make it a great place for remote work. Our goal is to structure work where it makes sense. We want talent focused on the most important items and remove some of the less important variables. At times this may come across mechanistically and we can continue to work on that.

"I would NOT recommend this company"

1.0
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home and great pay.

Cons

This company thrives on dysfunction, disorganization, and fear. You are constantly walking on eggshells, constantly having to fight for accurate payment for work you've already done, and constantly having to take a stand to receive the most basic things. Here are 3 big things, out of many, that make this a horrible place to work: 1. Worksmart: this company forces you to download a tool called Worksmart, which tracks your activity while you are signed in. It takes screenshots of your screen, photos of you, and counts your keystrokes. It is very intrusive, and worse, it is counterproductive. You are focused on playing the Worksmart game to ensure accurate pay, more than being focused on doing your job to the best of your ability and producing consistent, high-quality work. 2. They present an attractive benefits package, but it is almost entirely a delusion. For instance, they tout their "unlimited vacation policy." Sounds good on the surface, right? Well, actually it is a way for this company to offer you less PTO than you would get anywhere else. By keeping the policy vague and "up to your manager's discretion," they are able to avoid giving the standard benefit of PTO. I know for a fact that there are many people, even higher-ups, in this company that actually get zero PTO. And any PTO that you ARE approved for, they make sure you have to fight for it, field numerous complaints about it, and be made to feel bad for even asking for it in the first place. You will not get holidays off, either, so don't think it's being made up for through holidays. 3. There is zero room for advancement, zero opportunity for bonuses or promotion, and zero support for improving processes and procedures to make them more efficient. No professional development opportunities, no education, and pretty much nothing here to actually invest in employees and teams. In closing, this company treats people as though they are machines. I loved the team that I worked with, but other than that, I was ecstatic to be done with Crossover when my contract ended. I would strongly advise against working here if you have any other option. The money is not worth it - during my time there, I knew several people who had full breakdowns due to the stress and strain of working at this company, and had to leave to preserve their own mental health. Everyone I worked with referred to the company itself as "soul-sucking," and the only bright spot was our team. Hopefully, I'm not coming off as just a disgruntled employee - I actually left the company on great terms with everyone. I'm writing this purely in hopes that this information will help someone in making their decision. Take your talents elsewhere, where they will be appreciated and honed. (I also want to add that while I was there, I was pressured several times to write a favorable Glassdoor review for the company. I refused to write a review at all, because I knew my review would not be favorable and that they would be able to track it back to me. Makes me wonder about the 4 and 5 star reviews posted by current employees. Some may be genuine, but some also may have been posted by folks who weren't in a position to say no.)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 554 English Reviews