Crossover for Work Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 21, 2019

2.9
Andy Tryba

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "No commute to/from work (if you work from home)" (in 41 reviews)

• "Full time remote work makes me spend quality time both at the work and family" (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no job security though you work long term" (in 23 reviews)

• "No job security / contract can end without warning or notice" (in 21 reviews)

"Good Company"

I have been working at Crossover for Work full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working remotely from any place (Home, Coffee, ...etc)
    - Salary always paid on time
    - I see a lot of comments here complain their managers however this is not the case in my team. we have a weekly team meeting to discuss the challenges and he takes action based on this discussion.
    - away from the technical side, working with a remote team give you a new vision and new culture. I really like the idea.

Cons

the work load is somehow high, but i can't say that this is a downside as this is the case in all companies (on office or remote) this is based on my experience in two multinational companies.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure if applicable, you can make a weekly survey to take feedback from the employees, this will increase the trust

"Not Good"

Former Employee - Vice President Product Management in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Vice President Product Management in Remote, OR

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Crossover does require work from home. For many, this is a good thing and, for me, helped productivity. The salary is good, but depending upon your country's tax situation it might not be as good as it seems on the surface.

Cons

Where do I start? I tried to be objective with my 2-star rating; Crossover isn't unethical or stealing from their employees or anything like that. However, for a seasoned professional, be warned...

I joined in one of the Very High Dollar executive-level positions being driven by their desire to acquire 50+ companies in the near term.

I'm in the US. As such (and I knew this going in), the tax consequences for being a contractor are non-trivial. There's also the consideration that you must fund any perks yourself - healthcare, retirement, etc. While the salary is generous enough to do that, it's not as shiny as it seems on the surface. Your mileage may vary depending upon your home country.

What I really disliked:

Constant tracking/ justification of work stream. Seriously. As others have pointed out, it's difficult to actually *get* credit for a full work week without working extra. Especially in some of the higher-level, more 'creative' positions such as architect, product management, etc. there's minimal or no opportunity to review or think over things. For me, I work in bursts followed by small distractions in which I'm running the problems in the background of my thoughts. A variety of coworkers and management in my history have almost universally commented about the volume of good work I produce. Even my peers at Crossover had no problem with the quantity or quality of my production. However, their tracking software and systems simply don't credit anything other than linear, constant "work". This was bad for me, resulting in me working extra, reworking things as I attempting to change my processes, "faking" it, or simply working longer to attempt to make my hours.

I also felt bad for some of the more junior or "factory" positions. It really is tracked by the minute, with lots of incentive to find "problems" with productivity. This is really a thinly-veiled method of wringing blood out of a turnip, by finding flaws or gaps and essentially docking pay. Yeah, the salaries are good but the amount of ancillary work that goes into making "real" hours is awful, and I felt like a chump contributing to it.

I had to quit for my sanity.

Advice to Management

Clearly, as a company, your success validates that you know what you're doing. That doesn't mean there can't be improvements, and I'm not sure that the whole treat people as cogs in the machine, resources to be whittled down, is the necessary part of the approach or the "secret" sauce. Also, the company likes to present itself as having a methodology that is fully repeatable and applicable to all of their businesses, but the reality is that this is only a (small) portion. It's really that they have a bunch of talented people (and that's for sure) held hostage by the wage/tracking situation who constantly over-perform until burnt out. I believe they could come up with a blended approach, that encourages performance without treating people like cattle (or gears) and maintains a high standard. Given the background of the founder, this is unlikely, as he's long believed in this kind of philosophy. For me, it was a fun and interesting experiment that I am glad is over.

"Good pay, terrible organization."

Former Employee - Candidate Success Representative in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Candidate Success Representative in Remote, OR

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is really good and you can work from anywhere so long as you have a strong internet connection.

Cons

No job security, you will be hired as an independent contractor and that means they can fire you anytime for any reason whatsoever.

The targets are unrealistic and the management will not let you or anyone celebrate any accomplishments, you will always be told that "you are not doing enough". Most of the time you metrics will be confusing.

Its all about productivity and even if you are grieving the lost of a love one it should not affect your productivity or else you will loose your job. I experience this personally, so yes its kinda "a vertical sweatshop".

No communication between departments so the tasks are overlapping and it seemed like every team is doing their own thing not having a common goal.

No 2nd chances even if you hit your metrics. Even if you had done berry well for a very long time and you just failed to hit your metrics for 2 or 3 weeks you will loose your job.

Other than the basic per hour rates you will not get any other benefits, I mean none whatsoever. No sick leave, vacation leave, no holidays (you will even be forced to work on holidays). If you want a life work balance this is not for you.

Expect to be monitored every time you work.

Advice to Management

Straighten up and know what direction you want to make for the company. Treat your employees better. And listen to your employees.

"Good company to work with"

Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Remote, OR

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team
    Great projects
    Good pay
    Flexibility in choosing working hours
    100% remote

Cons

Only cons I could think of during my tenure - 40 hours a week rule( pure 40 hours tracked using a tracker) is exhausting.

"Nothing Positive to Say About this Company!"

Former Employee - Renewal Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Renewal Sales Representative

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only pro-- get to work from home, or where ever.

Cons

Management has no idea what is going on. Here today, gone tomorrow. All you are suppose to do is up charge your customers support plan 25/35/45% year after year. No wonder that cant keep customers. The software they are pushing is so outdated, customers are cancelling left and right. Avoid this company at all cost. There is no security in your position what so ever.

"OK"

Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist in West Pittsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist in West Pittsburg, PA

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Work from home is amazing
    * Work with people around the planet
    * The tracking app wasn't a bother to me
    * This depends on one's role, but the flexibility of my schedule was amazing

Cons

* XO for Work desktop app was not helpful
    * Few benefits
    * Low wages for otherwise high-paying positions

Advice to Management

Contractors need to feel valued. Instead of simply handing XO employees to Trilogy or other businesses so they can be used, spent, and discarded, consider them as investments. An employee who is an investment deserves your time and talent making sure they are being managed effectively. For instance, my team was focused on customer success. Maybe with XO, more focus on employee success is needed. I felt my talent and skills were wasted due to a failure on my part and by poor management on my contracted company's part. XO may have a relatively unlimited market of candidates to pick from, but it's still inefficient to simply consume and discard.

"Opportunity, but employees are disposable"

I have been working at Crossover for Work full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work remotely and earn a reasonable wage even if you life in a wage depressed area. Working from home with flexible hours means you can balance your family and work life and even work around disabilities of life challenges like caring for young children or other family members.

Cons

Though you can get long term assignments, most of the companies are all part of the same investment portfolio and the big focus is making sure stock prices for these companies are good for investors. This means that really good people often have their assignments ended due to budget reasons and this often leaves the employees feeling like they are disposable.

Advice to Management

Find a way to create more stability for the employees.

8. "Flexible, remote work"

I have been working at Crossover for Work full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, the beach, your car, the library, local coffee shop, airplane, or anywhere with wifi really!

Cons

Must provide your own computer and work equipment.

"STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY"

I worked at Crossover for Work full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE THAT I CAN RECOMMEND

Cons

Definitely no job security.
    If you hit your metrics every single time you are not excluded of been fire without reason or notice.
    Horrible management and constant bullying.
    Senior management would lie to your face saying how proud they are about paying the same salary rate in any part of the world because they believe talent should be paid equally no matter where they are located....... Straight B.S as the same position would pay a lot less in various part of the world.

Advice to Management

Put your mess together and stop wasting the time of serious professionals looking for a real job.

"This is a one big huge fraud company."

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Remote, OR

I have been working at Crossover for Work full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High pay
    Work from Home
    No Pros

Cons

No policies
    No structure
    No planning
    No engagement
    No career growth
    No discipline

Advice to Management

First, make sure you have a better written policy