Crossroads Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Gabriel Block

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, low pay, abusive customers (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay, high turnover, constantly understaffed, difficult clientele (drug addicts) (in 9 reviews)

1. "Good Workplace, Discount and Management"

Former Employee - Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Crossroads Trading part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount of 25% on used clothing really helps. They also want to create a positive working environment so if you raise concerns they'll answer them. Very fair overall.

Cons

wanted to wait an entire year to train for buying position and felt hierarchical in a negative way.

Advice to Management

allow people to take on more (aka buying) if you feel that they are capable instead of just following the formulaic year process- especially with high turnover.

2. "Great place to work!"

I worked at Crossroads Trading full-time

Pros

-very casual and fun work environment that is still professional
    -employees are great people and SUPER friendly
    -you get a discount on product, which can allow you to score some amazing deals on designer clothing
    -you will gain great experience buying for your store's target customer- it's really cool to see what you buy in for the store help the overall business

Cons

-certain peak hours could seem understaffed, but this was usually remedied when brought to management's attention

Advice to Management

-try to add a couple more part-timers to the store's team- this will make certain peak times feel way less stressful!

3. "Only palatable because of the cheap clothes."

Former Employee - Associate Buyer
    Former Employee - Associate Buyer

I worked at Crossroads Trading part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clothes are pretty much the biggest and only pro. It's great if you are a people person and love meeting so many different types of people. Only work here if you're really into a diverse array of contemporary fashion and labels because it's very hard otherwise.

Cons

There is high stress because of constant lack of staff and the customers are SO ANNOYING, especially a huge chunk of the regulars. I've worked at other retail/customer service jobs and Crossroads took the cake in having the most needy, annoying customers. It doesn't matter if they are shopping or selling. There is lack of education on what type of fashion is taken in. People are so entitled with their used clothes and take their bad attitudes on the workers even if it's not even their fault. The pay is so low compared to the work put in since the business model is different from most clothing stores, and so much is put on the minimum wage payed store employees to directly control the inventory.

Advice to Management

Hire better buyers and create incentives for the buyers that are actually competent. There have been so many good, hardworking people I've seen leave too soon because of low pay and under appreciation.

4. "Sometimes rewarding, overall overworked and underpayed"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Crossroads Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers, buying and selling really cool designer prices, the employees, the overall corporate environment is very hands on and treats all their employees very well compared to other companies.

Cons

Not much structure, reliability, or organization on a store level. Very high turnover which makes moral in the store very low.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people who work for a you little more, gossip less among other managers.

5. "Don't do it!!!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Crossroads Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The clothing discount and the co-workers. I've worked three different stores and those truly are the only real benefits

Cons

Long hours- the shifts are 10-7, 11-8, or 12-9. If you are in management you will feel like you live in the building. You cannot have a life outside of the job.

Inconsistent schedule- It changes every week and it was almost impossible to get time off

Insane turnover rate- they can't keep staff happy because the pay is so low and the work is too hard

Saftey- I've had to fight grown men with weapons, been called racial slurs, had equipment thrown at me, you name it. I often felt unsafe and higher management did nothing to solve the problem.

Dumb rules- Lots of unnecessary rules that make you feel like you can never successed. Managers can't be friends with associates? We are all in our 20s spending 40 hours a week with people who also love fashion. It's gonna happen, get over it.

Advice to Management

Hire a new district manager in Seattle, she is running both stores into the ground.

6. "Floor Supervisor"

I worked at Crossroads Trading full-time

Pros

Buy clothing from the public in a fast pace working environment, while staying up-to-date on current fashion trends, labels, pricing and what sells in our store. That is how I would summarize working at Crossroads, as a Floor Supervisor my job was to assist in the running of the day.

Cons

Not good communication between management and supervisors, my store manager inappropriately ignored all of my request offs and acted as if my authority did not matter.

7. "Floor Staff"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Crossroads Trading part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had one of the most wonderful and professional managers of my retail career. Due to the fast pace and intensity of the job, I was able to cultivate a beautiful and professional relationship with my coworkers where we felt like a cohesive unit.

Cons

The work is extremely labor intensive, and, sometimes the clothing being processed was unhygenic and may have been the catalyst for various skin infections that the staff experienced. Any unpleasantness was mostly due to negative interactions with customers. The pay was quite low, and, getting time off was rather hard, but, this was due to the store being understaffed and was not the fault of the management at all.

Advice to Management

There needs to be some safety measures to ensure that buyers and floor staff are protected from some of the nasties that come in with the clothing, This is a high stress job and low paying job, and it affects our immune systems.

8. "Buyer Seller"

Former Employee - Buyer/Seller in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer/Seller in San Jose, CA

I worked at Crossroads Trading full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers
    Very Causal Work invorment

Cons

low hours
    poor management
    poor communication
    unorganized scheduling

Advice to Management

bad communication
    favoritism
    poor managment
    unprofessional

"Assistant Manager"

I worked at Crossroads Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clothing discount. Loved my coworkers, gave me great work ethic.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover, constantly understaffed, difficult clientele (drug addicts).

10. "Senior Buyer"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crossroads Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool clothing. Coworkers are cool.

Cons

Lots of turn over. Over worked. Pay is low. Micro management. District managers are outdated. As corporate as it gets. No room to grow.

Advice to Management

Stop playing top 40. Even Nordstrom plays better music.