CrowdStar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Jeffrey Tseng

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Amazing culture and people!"

Pros

Fun culture and events, plenty of responsibility, work/life balance, cowokers feel like family, close to train station

Cons

Commuting to the peninsula :(

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at CrowdStar full-time

Pros

* Great people -- lots of smart, creative, driven people
    * Great culture -- can be intense, but generally nice, casual atmosphere where people treat each other with respect.
    * Run with integrity -- management tries to do "the right thing" for its business and for its employees. There will always be things people will get upset about and question motives for, but I honestly believe that they try to do what's right. I've heard so many opposite things about other gaming companies and this is something that really matters to me and will always be a deal breaker when not true.
    * Strategic -- Every company has its ups and downs and hits & misses, but in the gaming industry, it's especially hard to create sustainable growth. Crowdstar has really found an intriguing niche and has been smart about how to maintain it and move it forward.
    * Location -- Right in the middle of beautiful downtown Burlingame, with great restaurants, bars & shopping right outside the door!

Cons

* Professional Feedback -- Depends on your boss, but no formal feedback process in place so sometimes difficult to gauge how you are doing and what you need to do to get to the next level
    * Parking -- Because of its great location parking is all metered & can be a pain if you get in late, but on the flip side if you have access to Caltrain, the stop is a few blocks away

Advice to Management

Be approachable and transparent--share information when you can & listen to your employees so that we all feel that we are one team and all striving for the same goals.

3. "."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at CrowdStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun company culture and work environment.

Cons

Upper management don't know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Stop being so stubborn!!

"Believe"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at CrowdStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Crowdstar is very focused on what it intends to do. It was a fun environment at most times with talented people.

Cons

Problem is the actual focus, it is a market where most people are not interested in. This in females gaming but specifically fashion orientated. Not a lot of developers are too keen on this type of deal, so to sell the dream, it's selling you the potential of the company. This company went south a few months ago when it was overtaken by Glu. Crowdstar's focus didn't get them to where they wanted to be after 5 years of trying to make it there.

Advice to Management

The management has been overtaken and will probably get worse as time goes along. They have already lost their key contributors.

"Fair"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at CrowdStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clear tasks, agile and fast paced environment.
    Chance to get hands on all aspects of projects.
    Very casual and comfortable culture.
    Fun activities always going on.

Cons

A bit lower to average on the salary and bonus.
    Did not understand the technology needed in the product, poor code quality. Short-sighted strategy, changes frequently.
    Management hierarchy is bulky and inefficient. People manage the product don't know the product.

Advice to Management

Shrink the PM team. Develop the product with cutting-edge (at least up-to-date) technology.

"Loved my job in the beginning"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I worked at CrowdStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture was great! I loved most of the people I worked with.

Cons

No promotions for my position, I didn't receive a raise in 3 years.

"I want to love them"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at CrowdStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, creative, fun atmosphere. For the most part work is great, even though goals are rather chaotic and handled on the fly.

Cons

Crowdstar is just riding the mobile and tablet gaming wave, but doesn't realize that soon it is going to crash on a hard, unforgiving shore. Crowdstar needs to escape the narrow minded vision of tomorrow and really plan for the future.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees who have a passion and commitment to the companies future. We want to succeed and want to help Crowdstar do the same.

"Went from an optimistic place to a sinking ship that didn't care about quality."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Burlingame, CA

I worked at CrowdStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were the best I've ever worked with. A positive, talented team. We were really in it together. We shared in the victories and the frustrations and really banded together. I think the negativity of the company brought all the employees together.

They have the usual perks of the valley. Catered lunch, yoga, company outings, ping pong, games, etc etc.

Cons

When I started there was a real drive to bring the "magic" back into their titles. They focused on new things that weren't just the sexist, stereotypical "girl games" that they were riding comfortably on. They wanted something special.

That changed. The founders left the company, user acquisition got expensive, and the new CEO found it was just easier to focus on the world of "girl games". Gone was the optimism of developing great software, and all that mattered was fitting in more and more ads, and making games impossible to play without in app purchases. Nobody was proud of the work that was taking place when I left.

The new CEO (Not Peter Relan as stated on here, but Jeffrey Tseng) really steered the company into a nose dive when he took over. Morale became as low as I've ever seen anywhere, and the games took a back seat to whatever management whims were that week.

Advice to Management

The focus and goals of the company changed weekly. Everybody felt in the dark to what kind of company they were working for. I think the company needs to get back to more of a "startup feel" and be up front with what is going on, what the business goals are, and what the long term successes will be. Are they looking to be acquired? Then say so. If they want to downsize to just one or two games? Then say that too.

"Talented individuals lead by the blind"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Burlingame, CA

I worked at CrowdStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

catered lunch, great co-workers, good pay

Cons

upper management only cares about protecting bloated titles, poor design run every game franchise into the ground

Advice to Management

If you want the company to succeed, step aside or quit. At some point you have to look at the dwindling lanscape and realize you have put the company there due to your incompetence. Realize that just because you have a business title, it doesn't mean you are qualified to make major decisions. Secret meetings where people, who have never developed a game before, are making poor game designs is not a way to run a game company.

You are a victim of your own success, and now you can't replicate those early facebook or mobile days. You cannot throw up any carelessly designed game and make money. If everyone on art and programming says it's a bad game or design, it probably is.

Promote people who study game design, and have tangible development skills, into decision making positions. If you continue to promote people who will say anything to please those above them, or people on the sole basis that they have a business title, you will continue to fail.

The f2p game market is a shark tank of very talented teams. You can't compete with your current upper management. Stop drinking your own water. Finally, stop lying to your teams about how things are going just so people don't question how incompetent you are.

"Great Culture; not so great Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I worked at CrowdStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely talented people to work with; people who know their stuff
    Incredible salary and silicon-valley contending perks like free lunch, happy hour, awesome salary, ping-pong table, yada yada

Cons

Very poor prioritization of what's important for the games, or for the employee
    Poor top down management with a little too much micro-management at time
    Poor work-life balance, although this is not unusual in struggling start-ups
    Too little autonomy for game "owners" with most of the direction coming from management

Advice to Management

There is hope for CrowdStar, but the hope will only be as good as things changing from the way they currently are for the better; Crowdstar really needs to prioritize what's really important otherwise yearly turnover will remain at or higher than 50%