Crowe Horwath Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

4.2
Crowe Horwath Chief Executive Officer James L. Powers
James L. Powers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance; great learning/ training experiences; great mentoring program (in 62 reviews)

• Great people and work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance becomes tough if you want to maintain highest performance ratings (in 70 reviews)

• Long hours of working and toxic office politics (in 46 reviews)

1. "Great company with great people"

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Crowe is a great company with great culture and genuine people. The company provides sufficient training necessary for the job, and managers above are very down-to-earth and approachable.

Cons

Management isn't aware of in-charges who obviously slack off and eat up budgets for doing nothing. This results in decreased efficiency on jobs and impacts the team culture negatively.

"Crowe could be better and be great"

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time

Pros

The firm has many name-brand clients and lots of opportunity. I was in the Federal Tax group. The firm is trying to act, look, and operate like a Big 4 "with a heart". The staff are in general treated fairly well, especially when they are new. The firm is trying to attract high-quality candidates and make a lot of positive promises, some of which hold true. I think their heart is in the right place. Salaries appear to be at or slightly above market at most levels.

Cons

Depending on the office and your immediate superiors, this could be a good or very bad place to work. Management goals are inconsistent and managers and partners fight for resources. The management infrastructure is there, but execution is only mediocre. The firm is always trying new management methods, styles, etc., but with only so-so results.

Advice to Management

Upper management is audit-focused and doesn't seem to understand the tax business. Office-level management is cold. I suggest management warm things up and not treat employees as cogs in a wheel.

3. "good"

Current Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Crowe Horwath as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

they teach you and want you to learn!

Cons

no cons so far at this moment

"Poor leadership and tone at the top"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Auditor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Auditor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual dress code (jeans) in the office, ability to work remotely

Cons

Most of the leadership is extremely hands-off. Senior Staff are expected to act as managers and basically do 90% of the work, Managers act like Senior Managers (only involved at very high level), Senior Managers act like partners (barely involved) and Partners play golf and are generally offline. Partners rarely if ever visit the clients. There is not a feeling of being a part of a team from the staff to the partner. There is a team among the Staff and Senior Staff and then we have bosses. They do not regard us or treat us like members of a team; rather like we are just the grunts. This is regardless of the hours you put in or how many ways you prove yourself as intelligent and capable. You are not treated with respect by upper management. Year-round we go from one busy season to another with only brief weeks here and there of a slower place. Firm leadership speaks of their interest in us being "deeply specialized" but they continue to staff us on a wide variety of engagements leaving us far from specialized. Leadership makes little effort to get to know the staff. They never "fire" clients; they will take any work as long as it is work, regardless of availability of resources. We have a lot of review engagements during busy season that are more trouble than they are worth in light of the fees involved, and only serve to overburden and burn out the staff. They do not hesitate to schedule people on out-of-town engagements for weeks on end. I have experienced multiple instances of being out of town for 5-8 weeks straight. Pay is NOT competitive in the market. Expectations are NOT clearly communicated until you FAIL to meet them. Then they act as if you should have known all along.

Advice to Management

You need to invest in your greatest resource - your staff. You need to create a better tone at the top that makes your staff feel like a valued part of a team. It's a lot easier to put in the kind of hours that are required if you feel like you are doing it to help a team of people that you like and if you feel that your efforts are appreciated. Since the pay is not competitive, give your people SOME reason to want to stick around.

5. "Great Firm!"

Current Employee - Risk Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Risk Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-lots of flexibility
    -lots of opportunities
    -good management

Cons

-might get overworked
    -not well established in all markets

Advice to Management

keep on building and good things will happen

6. "Cool Overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time

Pros

There are a lot of wonderful people here. It is great to begin your career here, as you receive hands on training and guidance. Managers and partners have an open door policy and encourage you to ask questions, which gives staff/seniors a great learning opportunity. The firm just focuses on their clients and their niche and they're not trying to be like the Big 4, which is great.

Cons

Just like every other accounting firm, there are cliques here, but it's not that bad. Could be worse elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Overall, the people here are nice.

"The Los Angeles Office Has Major Issues"

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work from home. If your good at kissing up, you will get promoted. Get to work on big engagements.

Cons

No work / life balance at all. Upper management expects substantial amount of overtime even in non-busy season. Uneducated managers play the blame game and hide from responsibility. Everything falls on the staff even if the staff is not at fault. People talk behind your back all the time and never actually confront and resolve the issues. Upper management avoids dealing with the problems at the firm because they are the problem. They let employees leave rather than resolve the problems.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and consider the employee turnover rates and why it is happening. Consider employee morale, push clients for information and hire smarter managers. Stop talking behind people's backs and rather confront them so they can learn their mistakes and improve!!

8. "Crowe"

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance and employees

Cons

Opportunities outside of audit are hard to come by

"Tax department has major issues"

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seniors through partners don't care about work product
    Plenty of time to study for CPA during non busy season months
    Very laid back
    Lots of growth opportunities if able to teach yourself

Cons

Seniors treat staff horribly
    Misleading about promotions to drive up production
    Never received any negative feedback to my face but plenty was talked about my performance behind my back
    High school drama lead by 2 seniors and a manager that partners and senior managers turn blind eye to

Advice to Management

Don't burn out top performers at staff and senior levels. Get rid of the people causing the drama and realize that this is a place of business not high school.

10. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, benefits, ability to work from home, flexibility, opportunity to work on a variety of clients and industries. Company invests money in resources, technology and equipment. Overall pay seems to be above the average in the industry. Good annual bonuses.

Cons

Work-life balance is getting worse

Advice to Management

Be more willing to let people work from home, be pro-active in recruiting