Crowe Horwath Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Crowe Horwath Chief Executive Officer James L. Powers
James L. Powers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance - high mobility (in 76 reviews)

• They provide work from home facility forever (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance becomes tough if you want to maintain highest performance ratings (in 71 reviews)

• Long hours of working and toxic office politics (in 47 reviews)

1. "Crowe is a great place to work!"

Pros

Solid Training, great experiences, nice staff

Cons

Travel to small cities or towns

2. "I thought it was too good to be true!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are serious about the people dimension of the business. I was a bit skeptical during the interviewing process because it sounded a too good to be true. Trust is critically important to a solid relationship. Corwe has demonstrated time and time again that they trust their people.

Cons

Relatively new to the firm but "we" need to figure out how to ramp up the learning around how to connect with internal people resources.

Advice to Management

Continue to over communicate what is most important -- the CUSTOMER.

3. "Recent hire acclimated well to the company"

Current Employee - Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thorough onboarding including lists of contacts (online & real people!)
    Management is understanding of the learning curve and happy to provide explanations when explaining a process they know inside and out
    Collaboration across the internal teams

Cons

Potential to work on the weekends

Advice to Management

Continue acclimating new hires to integrate well into culture. Remember, you know the firm well but it is new to them!

4. "Down to earth management; not small and not large size company with global presence and flexible work environment"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many of our competitors don't have a true opportunity to work with leadership and be able to build a true working relationship like we do at Crowe. The size of the firm is great as we are a 2,400-3,000 employee firm, yet keep a family friendly environment. Many firms preach work life balance, but Crowe does a very good job of providing a flexible work environment (for many, the ability to work from home when not travelling). Dress environment is now more business casual. People feel a sense of ownership and support from co-workers. Company embraces innovation, ideas and new technology.

Cons

This is not a con, but more of a FYI for those entering a consulting environment for the first time - Given that many employees travel, it is more common to build a rapport with your co-workers while out of town/at a client site (going out for dinners, etc vs in office).

Advice to Management

Keep our internal website updated with all org changes (Business Unit / SDU data has changed a lot for a couple of internal units) in the past year.

5. "Crowe Horwath - Tax Staff"

Current Employee - Tax Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Staff in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best things about Crowe that I feel set it apart from other firms are flexibility, work-life balance, & variety of work.

Crowe has a great mobility policy that allows you to work remotely whenever you need/want to - assuming it's okay with your incharge (I've never not been able to when I needed). This policy alone serves to simplify so many complications that come along with working a job as demanding as public accounting.

Unlike certain other firms, Crowe doesn't work you to death. During busy season, things obviously pick up. But it's nothing compared to what I've seen at other firms and it doesn't leave me hating my job all tax season long (which is always nice).

At Crowe, I've gotten to see a huge variety of work. Rather than specializing in a single obscure function of partnership taxation as many do at the largest firms; at Crowe I've had the opportunity to work on a large variety of projects. I often get to see a client thru from start to finish. For me, not only is this a much more rewarding option, but it also helps to develop actual transferable skills.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say about Crowe. One thing I've heard from others though is that Crowe has a relaxed dress code which can make the atmosphere seem more laid back. Some people don't like this and prefer the more ultra-professional atmosphere of the big four - to each his own I suppose.

Advice to Management

It would be great if there were more learning incentives once the CPA exam is over. Perhaps a company sponsored tax law program or something of that nature. After completing the CPA exam, you sometimes start to feel like you're standing still in the sense of personal value creation.

6. "Very happy - great leadership, great colleagues, great opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The following are some of my favorite things about my experience (90 days in) at Crowe:

1) The CEO constantly communicates with the organization ... via blogs, vlogs, and emails ... making us aware of our progress towards both financial and other organizational goals. He challenges each person to play their part in achieving these goals.

2) Engaged and caring direct supervisor - while I understand this may vary for each person, I have found direct supervisors to be very interested in the development of each person, and caring about their life outside of work.

3) Work Where You Want, Where What You Want policies - I love these policies. Where it makes sense, you are free to work where you want. Also, if there is no need to dress otherwise, you are free to wear jeans all the time. Now, if we can only get them to adopt unlimited PTO :-)

Cons

The following are some (minor) improvement opportunities I would point out:

1) Unless you have significant travel, the firm generally will not reimburse for cell phone service. Generally speaking, the larger firms usually cover monthly cell phone service.

2) The firm has a limited fitness reimbursement program. I don't remember the specifics; but, it is limited to gym memberships rather than being inclusive of equipment reimbursement, race enrollment fees, etc. (Though, they do have a great wellness program generally.)

Advice to Management

See areas for improvement in cons above. Keep building on the "small firm" feel with the growth ambitions. Very happy to be a part of Crowe!

7. "Tax Intern"

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Columbus, OH

Pros

The culture was amazing. People were personable and down to earth.

Cons

None unless you don't want to work 60 hours as an intern. I enjoyed it

8. "Strong Professional Firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I spent over a dozen years at Crowe. Was almost always treated fairly and reasonably compensated. My work was valued and I had trust of management.

Cons

LIke any public accounting firm, hours can be long and stressful.

Advice to Management

Step out of your comfort zone from time to time in showing value of employees.

9. "Great first job!"

Current Employee - Tax
    Current Employee - Tax

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and environment at Crowe convinced me to go into public accounting. I could not think of a better learning environment. Peers and superiors are more than willing to help new staff get acclimated and learn the ropes. The firm also helps maintain a healthy work/life balance with the mobility policy.

Cons

With focus on deep specialization, it can be hard to get good in an area out of your focus.

10. "As far as work environments go, this is certainly one of the better I've encountered."

Current Employee - Tax Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall great atmosphere and generally great co-workers.
    Strive to maintain good morale and promote general well-being of employees.
    Flexibility not of with the 'where to work' policy, but also with getting employees working on the type of that really interests them.
    Provide a lot of resources for professional and personal development.

Cons

Not so much a 'Crowe' Con, but maybe just an industry con that it is difficult to anticipate where the busier hours will fall and how to best schedule resources.

Advice to Management

Embrace new developments, as a leader your disposition towards these changes impacts those you are leading.