Crowe Horwath Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 16, 2018

Crowe Horwath Chief Executive Officer James L. Powers
James L. Powers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance - high mobility (in 72 reviews)

• Excellent work-life balance, ability to work from home or the office depending on your work schedule (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance becomes tough if you want to maintain highest performance ratings (in 71 reviews)

• Long hours of working and toxic office politics (in 47 reviews)

1. "Internship was a nice experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Crowe Horwath as an intern

Pros

They paid us well and showed us around the city with different intern events. My mentor was really nice and patient with me as I learned.

Cons

It has a very corporate culture. Everyone is in ties and very formal.

Advice to Management

Loosen up a bit.

"Same old firm"

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time

Pros

Work from home
    opportunities are there and projects always need resources
    High turnover can give you opportunity to move up

Cons

Like any big or midsize firm, culture is compartmentalized. Each group is in their own silo. They give lip service to openness, entrepreneurship but the roots are still the same to the core.
    Mentor-ship program is a joke, they line you up with your manager, when it should be another person in a different area to give you advise in general.

Advice to Management

Really aim to improve culture in ways of professional development. I.e. if you are going to provide a mentor, then align with a different area so employee has a larger viewpoint of the firm and his/her trajectory.

3. "Staff Consultant"

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time

Pros

Work from home option, smart people, good salary

Cons

long hours, and too much pressure during busy season

4. "Intern Before Accepting a Firm : Cultures Do Vary"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Crowe Horwath as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Pay:
    The pay for interns is over $25/hr. The salaries for full-time are awesome.

Niche:
     The firm has a great name with banking industry clients.

Work-Life:
    Many people have a good work-life balance. Working between 40-45 hours seems to be the norm.

Cons

Room for Hire:
    Less than 20 % of the interns got offers at the end.

Poor Culture:
    The firm associates can be gossipy, sarcastic, and just plain rude. About 3 interns in my office shared complaints within the intern group about the way associates spoke to and about each other and professionals at the client site. Many developmental opportunities or mistakes made by interns and seniors, for example, were rudely blurted to others, including managers and partners. I've witnessed seniors and staff making fun of interns for misunderstanding or making minor mistakes. "Stupidity," it's called.You can find friends in this organization, but few people are willing to speak up about detrimental elements of the culture. Few people defend or speak up when others go too far with jokes or comments. These such elements can lead to low satisfaction, mistrust of management, and fractious teamwork.

The associates can sometimes be too laid back. I've experienced seniors and managers being late to meetings with clients and other external parties.

Backward Technology:
    The AWP used system is very outdated and has limited management functionality. I'm sure it puts the firm at a disadvantage. There is lower visibility for management and slower project completion as compared to others, I bet.

Development and Communications:
    Reviews came in late or not at all! We're expected to get reviews when we request them after completing an engagement. More than half the interns had complaints about this. No one really knew how they performed until the end. Is that a developmental experience?

Advice to Management

Get up to speed on technology. Stamp out those bad culture elements. Be transparent about conversion for interns. Improve performance management.

"Best Places to Work yet other managers untrusting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great company, won best places to work

Cons

Unprofessional departments - after two years, found an HR rep temperamental, too "open" communication for employees that were liked (gave out confidential to others), dishonest, untrusting, etc.

Great place to work but I would double check upper management info from certain managers and above for objective information. As many companies, sometimes it is department dependent.

Advice to Management

Keep your eyes on guard regarding gossip and clicks from certain departments including HR. As long as employees stay on the good side of some of the clicks, you will be good.

6. "Tax"

Current Employee - Tax
    Current Employee - Tax

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a good reputation and the people who work there are responsible and hardworking.

Cons

Long hours..... and everything is of great urgency when it is not.

Advice to Management

Management seems stressed and overwhelmed.

"Crowe could be better and be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time

Pros

The firm has many name-brand clients and lots of opportunity. I was in the Federal Tax group. The firm is trying to act, look, and operate like a Big 4 "with a heart". The staff are in general treated fairly well, especially when they are new. The firm is trying to attract high-quality candidates and make a lot of positive promises, some of which hold true. I think their heart is in the right place. Salaries appear to be at or slightly above market at most levels.

Cons

Depending on the office and your immediate superiors, this could be a good or very bad place to work. Management goals are inconsistent and managers and partners fight for resources. The management infrastructure is there, but execution is only mediocre. The firm is always trying new management methods, styles, etc., but with only so-so results.

Advice to Management

Upper management is audit-focused and doesn't seem to understand the tax business. Office-level management is cold. I suggest management warm things up and not treat employees as cogs in a wheel.

8. "Risk Assurance"

Current Employee - Risk Management
    Current Employee - Risk Management

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you immediately work with are fantastic

Cons

Executive partners, who decide your career, don't even look at your performance reviews.

Advice to Management

Have the people that are actually working with you decide your career path, promotions, and salary adjustments.

9. "Staff Accountant"

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time

Pros

Work from home 3-4 times a month

Cons

Lots of travel and long weeks

Advice to Management

I do not have any at this time

"Is everybody really so "nice"?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well-intentioned, energetic top management. Flexible and relaxed in some ways: when and where one works is up to you (assuming you're a responsible adult), and jeans can be worn in the office. Benefits are great. Perhaps this is the same everywhere, but people's Crowe experiences vary widely and seem to depend almost entirely on what group they're in and who their performance manager is.

Cons

Firm organization is overly complex, and a lot of time is spent (i.e., wasted) figuring out how to negotiate the bureaucratic labyrinth, follow procedures correctly, and who has real power and who doesn't. Too many people operate solely from personal self-interest rather than the interest of their department or the firm as a whole. If your performance manager is irrational, it doesn't matter what the reality is; the performance manager's perception becomes the truth on which other decisions are based. The firm is packed with strait-laced employees who think similarly and often aren't the most well-educated or open-minded folks in the world. Passive-aggressiveness is rampant, obviously part of the "nice" Midwestern culture. Too many people are afraid to say what they mean and mean what they say, for fear of not being considered nice--which leads to a lot of talking behind each other's back, which isn't nice at all and leads to low morale. Despite lip service, there's very little leeway for taking risks or making mistakes. People talk behind each other's backs all the time, and inaccurate information is often believed by others.

Advice to Management

Crowe is an incredibly stressful place, at least for those in non-client-facing groups. (1) Need greater diversity--not just more women higher in the organization and more minorities in general, but also diversity in backgrounds, working styles, thought processes, and personalities. There's pressure to be the same as everyone else. (2) There need to be checks and balances/reality checks on the people in performance management positions who have no idea how to communicate and manage people effectively; their biased or irrational their perceptions become the unquestioned reality actions are based on--which is of course unfair to those being managed. Lots of "pets" is bad for morale. (3) The organization needs to be simplified and clarified--it's a giant mishmash that results in a lot of wasted time. (4) Non-client-facing groups are important to the firm, too. They need to be treated like first-class citizens and have the resources necessary to meet the sometimes ridiculous expectations of partners who don't understand what they're asking for. Everyone is expected to do everything at once, no matter what the nominal project priorities are. (5) Too much emphasis on the quantifiable; intangible benefits such as quality, knowledge, and skills aren't valued as they should be.