Crowe Horwath Reviews in South Bend, IN | Glassdoor

3.6
Crowe Horwath Chief Executive Officer James L. Powers
James L. Powers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Better work/life balance than expected (in 57 reviews)

• Great people and work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance becomes tough if you want to maintain highest performance ratings (in 63 reviews)

• Long hours, poor bonus and salary (in 41 reviews)

1. "CAST Staff Auditor"

Current Employee - Staff Auditor in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great paid time off, benefits, work/life balance, dress policy, and perks (lots of free lunches/breakfasts). The company encourages volunteer work and pays for CPA exams and study materials. Great advancement opportunities.

Cons

Low pay for CAST workers. The department is new, so the structure is still being developed. Long hours during busy season.

"Centralized Audit Services Team Intern"

Former Intern - Cast in South Bend, IN
    Former Intern - Cast in South Bend, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment that allows you to attend school and work at the same time.

Cons

Poor communication as far as career opportunities within the firm.

"This place will suck the life out of you"

Former Employee - SALT Staff in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - SALT Staff in South Bend, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent health care benefits, free coffee and hot chocolate, and that is about it.

Cons

My experience at Crowe Horwath was absolutely horrible. At first everything was fine until I disclosed my pregnancy and afterwards things went sour very fast which eventually resulted in them cutting my salary in attempts to force me to quit, which they succeeded.

I was hired on in the SALT department but came from a federal tax background. They knew I had no knowledge of SALT going into the job. I was excited for the opportunity and challenge to learn something new but I became very frustrated because there was no sense of guidance or leadership in the department. As a result I found it very hard to thrive and grow in my job. The environment in the SALT department is very much "sink or swim." They put so much pressure on you do just get work done, whether you know what the heck you are doing or not, that I don’t understand how they expect someone to grow intellectually in such an environment.

After several months in the job upper management began trying to force me to quit. One of the partners would literally walk around the department asking everyone to lunch except me. All the managers and partners in the department worked very hard to get me to quit. I was repeatedly excluded from things, treated disrespectfully, and even questioned about whether or not I worked the hours I claimed I had worked. My own baby shower was cancelled because I was denied a request to take one day off to travel to the destination. The day I requested off ended up being a very slow day with little to nothing to do. My manager just wanted to prove a point. I do believe this was all intentional as they weren’t happy with me not disclosing my pregnancy during my interview nor did they want me working there once I had my baby because they knew a baby would be a distraction from work. I was early in my first trimester when I interviewed for the job so I felt no obligation to disclose anything. And lest Crowe forgot, I was under no legal obligation to disclose anything.

When I was seven months pregnant my manager and HR informed me that my salary would be cut by almost 54% to $28,000 once I returned from maternity leave but was still expected to work at least 40 hours per week. They later came back and offered $32k instead (wow, very generous of them). They both also insisted that I take a 13 week maternity leave when I only wanted to take six weeks. I guess they thought I wasn’t aware of the fact that they were not legally required to keep my job open to me after 12 weeks. It was just another way to try getting rid of me. I questioned the HR representative if my salary cut was due to not disclosing my pregnancy during my interview, her words were exactly, “Well, it would have been nice if you had told us.” Later in a meeting with this HR rep and a SALT partner I questioned her on what she had said, pressing the matter because I wanted the partner to be aware of what she said, but she adamantly denied it. I recorded every conversation I had with them so I have proof of everything.

In the end, Crowe won. I quit after I had my baby. I could not handle the mistreatment any longer. I could not leave that place in tears one more day. I could not let that place suck the life out of me.

From what I observed the only people that do well at Crowe are those who do everything they are told to do without question (the “Crowe-bots”), those who don’t mind being taken advantage of, and people who believe they have no self-worth. Interns also really enjoy working at Crowe because they are put on a pedestal and treated so wonderfully so they will accept a job offer. If you just look at the people walking the halls, everyone looks miserable at this place. It will suck the life out of you.

Perhaps the experience in other departments at the South Bend office are different, but as for the SALT department, it is horrible.

My message to Crowe: treat your employees with respect. Inspire them. Value them. Put good leaders in leadership positions, not people who are just good at giving orders and intimidating people.

If you are finding yourself in a bad position at Crowe and treated horribly, just remember “your value doesn’t decrease based on someone’s inability to see your worth.”

Advice to Management

4. "i love it here. Best place to work"

Current Employee - Expense Reviewer in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Expense Reviewer in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Personal growth is great, There are many opportunities in moving up and learning new things

Cons

Some of the people are sometimes very rude & unprofessional

Advice to Management

Train employees to be professional in the workplace & how to deal with problems in a calmer way.

5. "I worked with Crowe earlier in my life and it was an experience that impacted me for my future"

Former Employee - Associate in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Associate in South Bend, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason for working with Crowe Horwath is the idea of togetherness and security.

Cons

Although, I was let go, I would considering reemployment with Crowe because of their work ethics.

Advice to Management

Consider I have completed my bachelor degree and I would be a great asset to the company.

"If a super conservative workplace is your thing, then Crowe Horwath is the place for you..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Pros

Staff level is a solid group of individuals, and really fun to work with, and that right there makes the dreadful busy season bearable. Crowe pays for everything, and I mean EVERYTHING!

Cons

Wayyyy to conservative for me, and I understand you'll have this at an accounting firm, but try to loosen up a bit.

Advice to Management

See 'cons' above. I feel bad for the staff that try to gut this place out for a long time, as they'll inevitably journey down the road less traveled.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Senior Staff in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Staff in South Bend, IN

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Good work/life balance under Crowe Chizek senior management
    - Worked with great people at the same level
    - Good management within my group

Cons

- Very low pay, no raise or bonus in over 2 years
    - poor 401k match
    - Horrible work/life balance under the Crowe Horwath senior management
    - unreal hours expectations
    - "duel competency" = 2 or 3 busy seasons a year. No longer just January - April.
    - expect people to complete more work for less pay
    - give new hires a bonus for passing the CPA exam, but existing employees do not receive anything, not even a raise.
    - Show favoritism to Women for promotions, workload and work/life balance

Advice to Management

Open your ears and listen to your employees. Look at how many people have left the firm since the new CEO was elected vs. the old CEO and I'm sure you will notice a large increase. Stop trying to turn Crowe into the Big Four. Go back to your core vaules and put your clients and employees first not the amount of money you can line your pockets with.

"It's ok, but could be MUCH better"

Current Employee - Staff in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Staff in South Bend, IN

Pros

-Great PTO program and benefits (let's face it, at least they're offering it)
    -Numerous good people to work with
    -Decent layout of company overall

Cons

-As mentioned in other reviews; unless your kissing the floor the partners walk on, you won't be recognized
    -Hard work does not payoff.
    -Replying to previous reviews of higher authority: Maybe if things were not thrown at staff to complete, higher moral would exist! If you're looking for someone to work 9am-10pm January thru December, then hire a bum.
    -People constatly leaving which means leaving a ton of work for others to do. They may hire one person to replace the five that left.

Advice to Management

-Abolish the annual plan BS. It doesn't even pertain to half the firm.
    -Follow through with what is said. If you request employee's to complete a "People engagement survey" to see what they think of the firm, follow up on it.

"job"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in South Bend, IN

Pros

Good benefits other than compensation
    If you are on a flexible work arrangement you can get away with murder (negative for those not on flexible arrangement)

Cons

Low pay compared to other
    Awful leadership
    Career advancement = who you are friends with
    You have to pick up the work of other people

Advice to Management

don't be so greedy
    don't expect moral to be good if you pay people less and expect them to work more

"Senior Staff reviews the pros and cons of work=life at a mid-size CPA firm."

Current Employee - Senior Staff in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Staff in South Bend, IN

Pros

Excellent learning environment for fresh college graduates. Small workgroups with access to senior managers and partners.

Cons

Billable hours.

Many women on "flexible work arrangements" (read: reduced salary) put in many more hours than contracted.

Group leaders' inability to plan adequately for implementation of new procedures, software, etc.

Advice to Management

Just after laying off scores of employees was a bad time to start talking about "value for our people." The firm decided not to make the long-term investment in people when the economy went south - and that's business. But don't insult our intelligence.