Crown Castle Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Crown Castle CEO Jay Brown
Jay Brown

Cons

"Great culture, work/life balance and lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Staffing Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staffing Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong culture of development, inclusion and fun! Always something new and exciting to work on. Managers put their employee's first and promote work/life balance. The company has consistent growth which offers lots of new, personal growth opportunities.

Cons

Wish there was a more formal training/onboarding experience.

Advice to Management

Continue treating employee's as you would want to be treated.

2. "Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Crown Castle (Less than a year)

Pros

The job have great benefits and salary

Cons

Have to work with the company for a long time before going permanent

3. "Crown Castle is pretty good"

Former Employee - Real Estate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Real Estate in Houston, TX

Pros

Great work environment. Friendly. Laid-back. There are some "office politics" but you can mostly avoid them.

Cons

For legal reasons they have to treat contractors like second class citizens

"Wearing a scarlet letter"

Former Employee - Researcher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Researcher in Houston, TX

Pros

Some of the most outwardly nice people I've known to work with. Clean office. Plenty of leftovers to pick through once all of the real employees get to eat.

Cons

I worked here as a contractor. Anyone who has worked here will likely immediately know what I'm about to start talking about, due to how prevalent the issues are.

When I first started at crown castle, as a contractor, the stock price was around $76. Now it is around $96. My purpose of stating this is not to take credit for their performance. It is to illustrate that is a company doing very well financially. Their net profit margin this year is nearly 9%. I could list more metrics, but let me save you the time and tell you that they are very good.

Because of this, or maybe despite this, they have very good benefits for their REGULAR employees. For example, I overheard my colleagues complaining about having a deductible on their insurance this year. Departments have a yearly trip that they take where they spend a week elsewhere in the country and have work parties. The group I was associated with had one such week long party where the rooms at this place ran over $300 a night. They have fairly regular employer paid lunches. Generous holidays. Go look at their benefits yourself, you will be impressed. I was, anyway.

However, since I was a contractor, I got none of them. No paid time off. No sick time. No holidays. When the regulars get an early day, what do the contractors get? They can leave if they want, but they have to make the time up. What if the office is flooded for two days and the contractors are explicitly told not to come to work, what happens? They don't get paid.

What about the smaller stuff? Well, when the regulars get lunch, the contractors are told they have to eat AFTER everyone else. I've never in my life had anyone tell me anything like that. When they have their little non yearly office parties, the contractors get told that they can't attend. Monthly morning tea? Sorry.

So, one might think then that it's all the more motivation to become a regular employee for this company with its great benefits. That may work for some. But in my experience and that of others, there are opportunites only for some. Consider a scenario--two employees start at the same time. One a young man, one a young woman. How weird would be if all of these 40+ year old managers introduced themselves to one and ignored the other? That's what happened to me. The managers were male the new employee was a female. These entry level jobs that contractors could aspire to, they're either set aside for nepotism or set aside for a particular gender. I was always told that nepotism was bad, but until I sat and heard a woman talking about how her husband directly got her brother a job, I didn't have cause to believe it.

The way some landlord customers are treated are pretty abhorrent, too. I won't get into that, though.

Advice to Management

Quit being immoral, unethical cheapskates who profit off of the backs of your underpaid, underbenefitted, and ignored contractors. It's an awful thing to do to anyone. This isn't Mom and Pop down the street scrimping every penny just to stay afloat, this is a very wealthy industry leading company outright CHOOSING to screw over its most vulnerable employees. It's sick and it should have no place in America today. This isn't the third world.

"Not as Good as it Used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

I worked at Crown Castle (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    Good coworkers
    Has Great corporate meetings at top notch facilities

Cons

It used to be a great place to work but as you gain seniority and approach the upper limit of your salary range, things go downhill. You are continually reminded that you are "highly" paid and expectations become unreasonable. My manager told me I earned too much money for him to “waste" time with me and provide any guidance. I was only asking for 1 hour a month to review my projects. Also, there is limited ability for advancement unless you are willing to relocate and part of the “good ole boys” network.

Advice to Management

Place more value on tenured employees and stop telling us you can get someone else to do our job for less money. I bet Crown can find better managers for less money also. It goes both ways. Also, middle management is not adequately trained. Besides my experience with my own manager, I witness other middle managers’ lack of judgement. For example, I participated in the mentoring program and had a manager tell me “you better straighten out” the employee I was mentoring.

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company! Great management ! Always take great care of their employees- work life balance is legit. Opportunities for advancement with all positions

Cons

Cant think of any. Nothing comes to mind. The CEO comes around with a donut and coffee cart to all floors occasionally to check in with people

8. "Summer Intern"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Houston, TX

Pros

Great work environment, great exposure to corporate life, planned intern social events

Cons

The only con would be the pay, still not bad though.

Advice to Management

None

9. "IT/Helpdesk Intern"

Former Employee - Information Technology Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Crown Castle (Less than a year)

Pros

Crown Castle has a very friendly and helpful work culture that has many groups and teams working together to accomplish great innovation. It is filled with highly intelligent people that went out of their way to teach me, an intern, about what they feel passionate about. I learned some lifelong skills that I will carry to the workplace.

Cons

Their was honestly nothing to complain about. The building was under construction so their was a lack of space, however the management handled it well.

10. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Texas in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Houston, TX

Pros

laid back, no stress, with good managment

Cons

only focus in towers, No experience in other industry

11. "Great growing company to work for"

Current Contractor - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Crown Castle as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great facilities and employees, frequent training sessions, opportunity for growth and career development

Cons

They frequently hire contract/temporary employees versus permanent employees

Advice to Management

Provide contract employees with more opportunities to become permanent, full-time employees