Crown Castle Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Crown Castle CEO Jay Brown
Jay Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great Work Life balance, Management that truly cares" (in 27 reviews)

• "Well-structured company, future-looking management and great benefits" (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be challenging when workload increases" (in 11 reviews)

• "No full time work from home/telecommute option" (in 13 reviews)

"Good"

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very good place to work.

Cons

Not much to complain about.

Jan 16, 2019 – The team at Crown Castle

Thanks for taking time to share this feedback with us. We strive to ensure that Crown is a great place to work and we’re glad you feel it is!

We’d love to continue to hear your feedback – you can... More

"Manager"

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very interesting work with interesting people who are engaged and care about each other. We will be a part of the 5g revolution. Also feel that our work is important in keeping people connected and safe. Though we have had some growing pains in the last year, Crown cares about keeping a small company culture as much as possible.

Cons

As we have gotten bigger, some policies and procedures have not grown as quickly as we have. Much is being done to get us there though.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on ensuring people utilize the systems we have and continue to work on providing people with the skills that are needed to manage change. Continue to openly and honestly review employee's skills within the advancing industry and provide training or be candid with people who no longer have the skills or desire to obtain the skills.

Dec 26, 2018 – Internal Communications Manager

We really appreciate your feedback. Thanks for sharing! Powering the nation’s digital transformation is an exciting purpose for our business. We know it really resonates with many of our people, and... More

"Current Vendor"

Current Employee - Vendor Management in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Vendor Management in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good people. They hire only the most experienced people that have strong telecommunications backgrounds.

Cons

Process to get hired as a full-time employee is non existent. We are told to put in for open jobs but then these jobs are filled by folks that the boss knows from previous employer. No interviews are done and other more experienced candidates (vendor and FTE that submitted resume for job) do not get a chance to interview.

Advice to Management

The number of vendors in our office (Chicago suburb) is more than actual full-time employees. If the volume of work is going to continue to grow as we are being told then the high performing vendors need to be brought on as full time employees. Many of the vendors are getting tired of working without benefits and are starting to look elsewhere for employment. We have already lost many good people because of this.

"Great Company for a Dynamic Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee and Customer Focused
    Expects employees to be driven and creative in solving challenges

Cons

If you are looking for boring this is not your place anymore.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing customer obsession.

Dec 20, 2018 – Internal Communications Manager

It’s great to hear your thoughts on working at Crown Castle. Thanks for taking the time to share them. We are definitely going to stay focused on delivering for our customers, as it's at the heart of... More

"Licensing Account Analyst"

Current Employee - Licensing Account Analyst in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Licensing Account Analyst in Canonsburg, PA

Pros

Fantastic company, competitive benefits, great work life balance, management cares about their employees.

Cons

Rapid growth is leading to a change in culture.

Dec 20, 2018 – VP Internal Communications

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. It's great that you feel our benefits are competitive - we work hard to provide a suite of benefits that work for people at all stages of their... More

"Great first impression"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, flexible work schedules, good benefits, friendly atmosphere, meaningful work

Cons

No full time work from home/telecommute option.

Dec 20, 2018 – Internal Communications Manager

Thanks for the feedback, and welcome to the Crown Castle team! We're glad that you've had a great first impression of our business.

We believe that we're stronger as a business when people are... More

"Hopeful - But keeping my options open"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, benefits, proximity to home.

Cons

Middle Management - don’t seem to care about anyone else’s input below them. Constantly micro-managing and creating distrust with individual contributors. Most “managers” have little to no experience managing people and haven’t been given the proper tools to manage people properly. Individual contributors are afraid to speak up due to fear of retaliation. Additionally, most managers have zero interest in helping you develop and grow in your career.

Performance Feedback - employees are required to submit self-evaluation forms that are then talked about with management groups where your yearly rating is decided. However, feedback around those discussions or even final ratings aren’t offered to the individual until 4+months later. So much for “being radically candid” and “offering timely feedback”

Budget Cuts - For the past three years now there have been budget cuts/restrictions on travel/entertainment for different departments. Only seems to really affect individual contributors and some managers. Many managers or individuals on special committees are still traveling quite a bit for work meetings where much work doesn’t seem to take place.

Advancement/Lateral Opportunities - limited vertical or lateral movement opportunity depending on position and who you know.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent about organizational changes.

Implement 360 reviews for managers - seems like once you make it into a management roll the only feedback taken into consideration is that of your manager.

Create better training for managers or start hiring people who actual have credentials to manage people. Just because someone is an excellent individual contributor doesn’t mean they will make a good manager.

Be candid about employee survey results - we want to know how our department stacks up to the company as a whole.

Create better training/onboarding programs. Crown has consistently failed in my opinion on this since I started several years ago.

Create more opportunities for lateral movement. I’m not opposed to “taking a step back” or making a lateral movement to advance in the future. As a level 6 employee it has been a challenge to advance my career in any way. When I spoke with my local HR director I was told I might be better off seeking a new opportunity outside of Crown.

"Lack of Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Project teams work well together on the District side. Good benefits, decent pay and work life is good.

Cons

If you are not a golf buddy you will get passed up for advancement. Managers always locked behind closed doors. If you are tenured or more to the point, over 40, your days are numbered. Managers say they can get two younger people for what they pay some employees.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at the people who hold manager positions. They are not good leaders. Employee survey is a joke, no one is honest because they do kot trust it is anonymous.

Jan 16, 2019 – VP Internal Communications

Thanks for sharing your views with us. We listen to everything our employees take the time to share with us.

We’re glad that you feel that our pay, benefits and work / life balance are good. It’s... More

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company treats employees very well

Cons

Sometimes corporate decisions take excessively long.

"Tax Analyst"

Former Employee - Tax Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tax Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Crown Castle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance
    corporate culture
    great benefits and work

Cons

no career advancement
    little career advice