Crown Castle Reviews | Glassdoor

Crown Castle CEO Jay Brown
Jay Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging when workload increases (in 8 reviews)

• Contractors are not really wanted as full time employees (in 9 reviews)

1. "RES"

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time

Pros

Jeans are nice, benefits, gym, meetings with food, B3 culture- if properly enforced!, teamwork

Cons

Management - not sure how people get hired in these roles, Advancement, Opportunities, Health Insurance, Clear and Concise communication from executives, Respect from peers, high expectations.

Advice to Management

Include individual contributors when you hire management, genuinely LISTEN to your team instead of talking over them.

2. "Too Big, Too Fast."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For specialities, especially in IT, Salary, bonus, and stock options make it next to impossible to leave. Co-workers are generally extremely friendly. Perks like Cafeteria, on-site gym make it nice.

Cons

Communication - there is none. Reliance on email communication.
    IT stuck in 2007. File shares, emailing files are not challenged. Company has Intranet, but people seem confused on what it can do for them.
    Solutions to communication, collaboration all exist but IT seems to event reasons why they can't be done. Innovation is shot down, people win awards for creating excel spreadsheets because IT doesn't deem their project as worth it.
    Overall company has grown way too fast, way too quick. So, pain points are going to exist. Certain bad trends hopefully will get corrected, but could start to cause major issues if not addressed.

Advice to Management

1. Hire someone to help with Internal Communications.
    2. Let IT innovate, or at least push them to.
    3. Create levels in IT to reward different skillsets. Org is way to flat
    4. Wearing Jeans is great and all, but do more than that. No work from home policy is a turn off for many.

"Needs new blood"

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits. The company offers a very generous deductible and the copay is very affordable even with the basic healthcare package.

Cons

The company's ideology as a whole is out of touch with its surrounding geography in Silicon Valley. There is a stringent, corporate mentality in terms of collaboration and work ethic, even down to the dress code. Management is wholly oblivious to individual employee needs and puts little value in building morale, cooperation and team happiness. Things are broken down and determined by the dollar rather than the worth and benefit of the experience. Nepotism is a serious detractor to diversifying and hiring qualified candidates and very little change is possible from the bottom up. Employees are encouraged to be forthright and honest but their concerns are rarely ever heard or addressed. Pay is also woefully terrible and uncompetitive which explains the high turnover rate every six months.

Advice to Management

Hire a management team that is more in sync with their employees. The age gap as well as the cultural divide plays a huge role in the disconnect between manager and employees. Instead of forcing employees to adhere to some bogus company mantra, offer incentive and reward for hard work and dedication on a more regular basis. Take the benefits of team building and morale seriously and encourage activities that accommodate them. Weed out the lazy ones who just want to coast by on minimal work and effort. Performance reviews for management is a necessity to understand the success of their effect on a team.

"Leadership Problems"

I worked at Crown Castle full-time

Pros

Used to be a great place to work. Good wages, benefits and employees felt respected.

Cons

Lots of favoritism and nepotism from the top down. Chances for advancement are limited by the fact that jobs often go to a personal friend or office favorite of the hiring manager. Squeaky wheels always get the oil. Managers don't know how to have the hard conversations with employees who need it, so the good employees are the ones who suffer. Tenured employees are not appreciated or respected,

Advice to Management

Make sure the people you are putting into management/leadership positions know how to manage and lead, treat everyone fairly and do not play favorites, instead of just putting friends, favorites and family members in open management positions. Maybe regular management training of some sort is needed, and regular monitoring of management employees, from the top down.

5. "Horrible experinces"

Current Intern - Tower Structural Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Intern - Tower Structural Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Crown Castle as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good atmosphere and welcoming, team driven, paid holidays for interns

Cons

I certainly was deceived to what I was expecting out of this opportunities, I am a senior engineering student trying to sharpen my skills as an engineer, I was told that I'd serve as a tower structural analyst and engineering students preferred. My time here I have DONE! NOTHING related to any analysis work, during my time here all I have done was continuous processing/data entry while working along staff of varies backgrounds yet nothing related to any engineering aspect. I have a very extensive technically background and was underutilized, I was given promises that were never fulfilled. Yet what really ruined my experiences was the sudden turn around of promises, Management should certainly be more honest of what is expected out of the position and should not request an engineering student to do work that a business graduate can do. IF you're planning to pursue a job within crown castle please be advised as an engineering student you will ruin your career as an engineer. No design work, no analysis. Greatly disappointed with my time here.

Advice to Management

Honesty, Honesty, fulfilling promises, giving an in depth description of what the position expectations are

"Tenured employees no longer valued"

I worked at Crown Castle full-time

Pros

Good benefits, fast-paced environment, lots of locations

Cons

Leadership has no problem dismissing tenured employees who have dedicated their careers to making Crown successful. It used to be that every employee mattered. Now when ranking priorities, employee satisfaction is literally at the bottom of the list.

Advice to Management

Take a look back at the culture 5 years ago when it was still a great place to work. Your new leadership has turned Crown Castle into nothing more than a cliché of corporate America. Something I never thought I'd see Crown Castle become.

"Used to be a great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Crown Castle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Before the growth into small cell and especially fiber, Crown was a great company. One where good people were able to advance, upper management was great, work life balance was good and the pay was good. If you had a time machine, go back to 2011 or so and it was a great place.

Cons

After the growth, some departments boomed others had to do all of the new work with the same staff, new management is out of touch, nepotism, cronyism and favoritism is the order of the day.

Advice to Management

Staff up to meet the work load demands, bring in outside hires at higher levels, crack down on the nepotism and make sure that all departments have the resources. Or just stick to one industry and do it well like in the past.

8. "Great if FT employee"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Crown Castle as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Continuous training opportunities if FT, work/life balance.

Cons

No job security, sexist environment, few FT opportunities, a lot of promotions due to office politics rather than competency for the job.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your smaller offices, they are not following the B3 values you preach.

9. "Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Lisle, IL

I worked at Crown Castle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros company truck, laptop, paid for phone

Cons

They hire people who are not qualified for there positions, have way to many meetings that never resolve anything. A lot of throwing under the bus, Lost the cuture from when I started.

"Be cautious of Senior Leadership"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best corporate culture and a desire to serve the customer.

Cons

Very political leadership in the Tower Areas. People are afraid to speak up for fear of reprisals.

Advice to Management

Execs should do an honest survey of their staff that does not go to Area managers. People will not answer truthfully unless results are truly anonymous.