Crown Castle Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Crown Castle CEO Jay Brown
Jay Brown

Pros
  • Great place to work with a good work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Company is wonderful, great people and great benefits (in 19 reviews)

1. "Horrible experinces"

Current Intern - Tower Structural Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Intern - Tower Structural Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Crown Castle as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good atmosphere and welcoming, team driven, paid holidays for interns

Cons

I certainly was deceived to what I was expecting out of this opportunities, I am a senior engineering student trying to sharpen my skills as an engineer, I was told that I'd serve as a tower structural analyst and engineering students preferred. My time here I have DONE! NOTHING related to any analysis work, during my time here all I have done was continuous processing/data entry while working along staff of varies backgrounds yet nothing related to any engineering aspect. I have a very extensive technically background and was underutilized, I was given promises that were never fulfilled. Yet what really ruined my experiences was the sudden turn around of promises, Management should certainly be more honest of what is expected out of the position and should not request an engineering student to do work that a business graduate can do. IF you're planning to pursue a job within crown castle please be advised as an engineering student you will ruin your career as an engineer. No design work, no analysis. Greatly disappointed with my time here.

Advice to Management

Honesty, Honesty, fulfilling promises, giving an in depth description of what the position expectations are

"Used to be a great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Crown Castle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Before the growth into small cell and especially fiber, Crown was a great company. One where good people were able to advance, upper management was great, work life balance was good and the pay was good. If you had a time machine, go back to 2011 or so and it was a great place.

Cons

After the growth, some departments boomed others had to do all of the new work with the same staff, new management is out of touch, nepotism, cronyism and favoritism is the order of the day.

Advice to Management

Staff up to meet the work load demands, bring in outside hires at higher levels, crack down on the nepotism and make sure that all departments have the resources. Or just stick to one industry and do it well like in the past.

3. "avoid engineering"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall Crown has great values and culture. Many benefits for employees and perks throughout the years. Work is fairly steady and small cells division is growing fast.

Cons

Crown has a good culture, the engineering department does not follow them. Upper management has been filled with young, inexperienced individuals who have never lead teams before. A solid "old boys network" of friends with no experience and large egos. Managers/supervisors with experience were moved out and replaced with the young guns with their "do as I say, not as I do" attitudes. No mentoring or leadership, no room for growth unless you follow without questions.

Advice to Management

Everyone knows the issues but in Engineering, if you speak up or raise concerns, you are listed as troublemakers and quickly pushed aside. Stay in small cells or in one of the Areas, avoid engineering.

5. "Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Lisle, IL

I worked at Crown Castle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros company truck, laptop, paid for phone

Cons

They hire people who are not qualified for there positions, have way to many meetings that never resolve anything. A lot of throwing under the bus, Lost the cuture from when I started.

"Be cautious of Senior Leadership"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Crown Castle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best corporate culture and a desire to serve the customer.

Cons

Very political leadership in the Tower Areas. People are afraid to speak up for fear of reprisals.

Advice to Management

Execs should do an honest survey of their staff that does not go to Area managers. People will not answer truthfully unless results are truly anonymous.

"Contractors are treated very badly"

Former Employee - Contractor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Contractor in Chandler, AZ

Pros

Nice location, ok pay. I liked the work and the technology was great. Lunch catered in very often and co-workers are nice.

Cons

Contractors treated badly, and if you try to get a direct position they put up all kinds of barriers. Zero paid holiday, No insurance. You do not get invited to annual holiday event. They have very poorly laid out in-house software. But most of all, even if your work is SPECTACULAR, since you are a contractor you will be treated like a 2nd class citizen. That is unless you know someone in management. So, yeah, there is a lot of discrimination.

Advice to Management

Quit hiding behind excuses that no longer apply. Get rid of "favorites" in management whom everyone dislikes and you are afraid to admit that you hired. Even the staffing agencies are aware of the management level employee who has let power go to their head.

"Not as Good as it Used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

I worked at Crown Castle (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    Good coworkers
    Has Great corporate meetings at top notch facilities

Cons

It used to be a great place to work but as you gain seniority and approach the upper limit of your salary range, things go downhill. You are continually reminded that you are "highly" paid and expectations become unreasonable. My manager told me I earned too much money for him to “waste" time with me and provide any guidance. I was only asking for 1 hour a month to review my projects. Also, there is limited ability for advancement unless you are willing to relocate and part of the “good ole boys” network.

Advice to Management

Place more value on tenured employees and stop telling us you can get someone else to do our job for less money. I bet Crown can find better managers for less money also. It goes both ways. Also, middle management is not adequately trained. Besides my experience with my own manager, I witness other middle managers’ lack of judgement. For example, I participated in the mentoring program and had a manager tell me “you better straighten out” the employee I was mentoring.

9. "More friendly and team atmosphere needed..."

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Crown Castle full-time

Pros

The All Hands Meet at Nemocollin resort was very informative. Amazing Christmas celebrations. Crown Castle really knows how to keep its employees happy during holiday-season.

Cons

I really missed a team environment. I was the only IT resource and had too many challenges, understanding the business, technical challenges. I was never scheduled for any tower visit to better understand the business of Crown.

Advice to Management

The IT requirement is major, please build an IT team.

10. "QA Analyst"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Crown Castle as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot to do and learn

Cons

Too much expectations, favoritism. Management is very poor in communication

Advice to Management

Need to train your managers.

"PM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Benefits are the best in the business.

Cons

The HR department has too much power.

Advice to Management

Be more creative with alternative conflict solutions.