Crown Equipment Reviews

Updated May 4, 2021

3.7
Crown Equipment Chairman and CEO James F. Dicke II (no image)
James F. Dicke II
Pros
  • "Great and friendly work environment(in 18 reviews)

• "Pays well, supplied tools, good people(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I was told I would need to move to New Bremen, OH if I wanted to do anything other than an admin position(in 9 reviews)

• "Small town with very little to do with free time(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Adventurous but can be stressful

Jan 17, 2021 - Field Service Technician in Elkhart, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are looking for adventure in your job and diversity in work load this job has plenty of both. You will definitely get to travel around a wide, and visit places you probably wouldn't normally visit. You will get to work on all sorts of lift trucks from motorized pallet jacks to massive diesel powered forklifts. A tech could also be needed to service scissor lifts, floor scrubbers, barrel tippers, etc. The company supplies a service van that is well equipped for working on industrial equipment. You will have to buy your own hand tools, but Crown has a tool loan up to $5000 at 0% interest that you can use when you first come on board. The benefits were good, and there is college reimbursement. The company has a window of what time you need to arrive at your first company, but as long as you arrived within that window start times can be quite flexible as long as you put in the required hours. Communication between workers and management was good. If advice was needed whether it came to technical or clerical questions there was always someone who could answer them. When it comes to making mistakes I thought management handles these cases well. They will explain where you mess up, and will give you a course of action to prevent further mistakes. I have made plenty of mistakes in this job, but I was given second chances to make things right. I did enjoy working for this company, and the only reason I left was due to a drop in work in our region due to customers implementing COVID restrictions.

Cons

If you are used to only just working on equipment in a shop environment be prepared to deal with customers. Although your field service manager does handle customer concerns you will be the first line of communication with a customer. You will need to set up appointments and be in communication with customers such as giving updates. There will be plenty of learning opportunities to work on how to communicate with customers and plenty of mistakes will be made on the way. There will be plenty of "paperwork" involved in this job along with working on equipment. You will need to learn how to balance time to work on lift trucks, do paperwork, communicate with customers, and be a part of weekly meetings. Scheduling your time is a week by week case; you will need to plan ahead of time to make sure you are efficient with your time while keeping customers happy. With that said I did find balancing all of this to be a bit stressful, but I was told by superiors that it can take over 2 years to really get use to doing all of this which I would agree with. On another note, I did feel that the compensation may have been slightly low, but don't forget that you will be driving a company vehicle which will save a lot on fuel and maintenance. Be prepared to drive up to over an hour away from home sometimes. End times are subject to change depending on how long it takes to fix a piece of equipment.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great

May 3, 2021 - Field Service Technician in Hayward, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed job, lots of support.

Cons

Lower wages for similar positions

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very good company to work for. Must be able to work under pressure.

Mar 25, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Company continues to grow and hire where other companies are struggling. - Pretty resilient in poor economy times. - Unlimited growth potential for the right individuals. - Company favors reducing pay/benefits vs laying offs or letting employees go. - Puts customers first. - Good training programs for techs. - Company supported branch network. - International company with opportunities. - Corporate office with many promotional opportunities. - No pressure of needing to preform for investors due to being a private company.

Cons

- Pay and benefits could be better. - Work load to staffing support needs to improve. - Not enough IT support/$ allocated to support new projects for many years. - Behind the times in software. - Grown to big to be as nimble as they once were. - Difficult to make needed changes. - Lost the feeling of a family owned company. - No bonus or performance based incentives unless in a salesman position. - Pay increases not based on individuals performance, more of a set % across the board.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Consistent way to make a living

Apr 28, 2021 - Sys Administrative in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flex work and good team mates

Cons

Highly visible work managers are demanding

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good Overall, can be challenging

Apr 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent Pay Not Dull Nice People Good Benefits

Cons

Overly Conservative Boys Club Not flexible Advancement is hard

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for

Apr 26, 2021 - Sales in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, product offering and culture

Cons

no complaints from working here

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good company to work for

Apr 6, 2021 - Electronic Test Technician in New Bremen, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work environment and many opportunities.

Cons

Lack of communications between engineering design and manufacturing.

8. 4.0

Very Flexible schedule

Mar 18, 2021 - Customer Service Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexible schedule -Great brand -National relationships with customers -Teach you skills for how to be successful

Cons

-Service sales reps get taken for granted in the company especially by longer tenure account reps

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Sexual Harassment, Toxic Work Environment-Crown is loyal to the Predator

Jan 31, 2021 - Sales Representative in Hayward, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing worth enduring sexual harassment.

Cons

I am grateful every day I left this company. Sexual Harassment is prevalent in this company. The predators are protected. I endured a boss’ harassment, inappropriate behaviour, and retaliation. Plus harassment from two other Managers during training. Because there was proof, my boss was not able to speak, email, or talk with me alone. He retaliated by asking me twice to meet with him alone. Instead of replacing him, the company promoted him. I know of many other women who endured harassment. Men are bullied and disrespected in front of others by management. The good managers are demoted for standing up against the harassment. HR does not have any power. I requested sexual harassment training hoping it would help. My harasser did the training. That’s intimidation that the company was aware of and supported.

Crown Equipment Response

Recruitment Manager

Crown has broadly distributed and vigorously enforced policies against bullying and harassment, which also protects employees from retaliation. Verified conduct of the type you describe simply is not tolerated. You are strongly encouraged to reach out to Kim Martin, Senior HR Manager at kim.martin@crown.com so that a prompt and thorough investigation can occur. We are confident that harassment and bullying are not behaviors that Crown employees experience.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company - great people

Mar 25, 2021 - Aftermarket Service Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Slow and steady environment. They believe in their people. Only promotes from within.

Cons

They have an old school sales environment.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 366 Reviews