Cruise Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 7, 2019

3.7
Cruise CEO Dan Ammann
Dan Ammann
Pros
  • "The offer awesome benefits that promote a healthy work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• "Fast growing company with financial backing to bring self- driving cars to market(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hypergrowth pains: With any company growing so fast there are going to be growing pains(in 13 reviews)

• "Hires saying cruise employee but use third party recruiter (Aerotek)(in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Solid fast-growing company. Awesome work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work is great. There is no shortage of a diversity of problems to solve. If you like a challenge and are self-directed (especially if you like algorithms and math), this is the company for you. It's a new one every day, and there are endless opportunities to learn and grow. Creativity is encouraged. Great culture and teammates. It's positive, collaborative, warm, and supportive. I feel comfortable asking for... help, and a great sense of belonging and community, even as a someone who checks a diversity box. My experience has been delightfully low on the tech-bro-culture BS-meter (it is a massive improvement over every place I've worked previously). It's such a cool mission, who wouldn't want to work on autonomous vehicles. And as usual, the cushy tech perks are nice too, without all the risk of a smaller, less well-funded venture. And the office is in the city!

Cons

We're growing so fast that management and technical leadership is spotty. This is perfectly expected for a unicorn, and it's just growing pains. We're struggling to hire experienced managers fast enough, so we're left with mostly engineers or early hires thrown into management and leadership roles out of desperation, some of whom are doing well, and some are struggling in that role. Your experience, like anywhere,... depends a lot on your manager (I happen to have a good one). We're trying really hard to improve the situation, but so is every other tech startup in the area and it takes time to find the good ones. However, this creates an opportunity for self-directed work and bottom-up planning and decision-making, which is fun, and probably really effective. The engineers work directly with each other across teams, confirm there is support for it from leadership, and ship awesome stuff anyway.

Advice to Management

I basically agree with your decisions, which is saying a lot, I'm a tough audience. Keep trying to hire experienced leadership that fits the company values. That is the most important problem, more than launching a product.

Cruise2019-02-13

"Massive mission"

I have been working at Cruise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mission: If you want to work at a tech company that can actually make a positive impact on our lives and our communities, this is the place for you! AV technology has a chance to be a once-in-a-generation technology and Cruise is at the forefront of this change. Good culture: There are lots of really smart Cruisers, but thankfully I have found that people are also still approachable and collegial. Transparency:... Management is quite transparent about progress and current challenges.

Cons

Uncertain launch timelines: This makes planning challenging and in some cases can make growth opportunities less obvious. Employees need to be proactive with their managers about their career goals.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay as transparent as possible. For 2020 (and beyond), focus on investing in culture and people even more than you think is necessary. This will benefit Cruise for years to come.

Cruise2019-11-04
  3. "Cruise give you the opportunity to make a big impact - no matter your role."

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a company, we're working on one of the greatest challenges of our lifetime: safely building and deploying a self-driving car service - this is no small feat. The mentality of "I chose to come to Cruise to work on the toughest problems" is inspiring, and is felt beyond technical orgs. We work with a group of high-achieving people that motivate each other towards better work - which I appreciate. I really do feel... that I have the opportunity to do amazing work at Cruise and help shape the future of mobility. The new office is going to be amazing and our perks are solid: lunch and dinner, snacks, massages, workout stipend, rides in Cruise cars, commuter benefits, 401K, etc.

Cons

While working on such a big challenge, there are many sprints and a sense of pressure to perform.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency - it's appreciated and builds trust. Be mindful that we're working on a "marathon" challenge - and you can't win marathons by constantly sprinting. The numbers of sprints has gotten better recently, but there is still a consistent pressure to perform.

Cruise2019-11-01
  4. "challenging, dynamic and (mostly) rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Cruise full-time

Pros

There are few times in one's career when you have the opportunity to actually build something from the ground-up, let alone be involved in the creation of an entire industry. That's true from an engineering perspective, a business perspective, legal, regulatory, etc. Everyone is building from scratch and figuring out a path forward, dealing with new issues every day. That alone is extremely motivating, and helps put... into perspective some day-to-day challenges that are going to exist anywhere.

Cons

Fast growth companies always have challenges, this is no exception. Turn over is real, burn out is real, etc. Have to be ok with constant change. A lot depends on your manager and team lead, which is the same as everywhere.

Advice to Management

Communicate accurately to your employees. It's getting better, but could still use improvement.

Cruise2019-11-01

"The Fall of Rome"

Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cool technology. Early on this was an amazing place to work. We were a close-knit group, testing self-driving software. Everyone was happy to be here. It was exciting to come into work every day. We rolled up our sleeves and managed an operation that would change the world. There were not a lot of ready-made business tools so we had to make our own. It was exciting and engaging.

Cons

Somewhere along the way we mistook pandering for diversity qualifications for ivy-league degrees. We treat our contractors like second-class citizens and our non-degreed (or non-ivy-league degreed), tenured employees like lepers. The company is run by children (no offense to young people) who have little to no experience running operations or managing people.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Stop squashing your good, tenured people under the weight of inexperienced, haughty ivy-leaguers. Once we have operations everywhere, blue-collar workers will revolt if they have to report to an inexperienced snob.

Cruise2019-10-17

"Management needs help"

Current Employee - Full Time in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent if you joined at the right time Unlimited PTO and food

Cons

Politics and lack of ownership is high on the non-technical side. Unfortunate that lots of climbers have made it to the management level but do not really contribute much value (let alone come into the office). Lots of lower level employees have been layered and stacked and pushed out. Toxic culture that is distracting and makes people anxious. Lack of OKRs and company confidence. Mice.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring out of desperation (uncalibrated interview panels, managers being hired without any direct reports involved). Address the attrition and focus on retaining good employees (especially the ICs that have been leaving) that contribute and actually make a difference in the company or else they will go to another company. Classic case of mismanagement of hyper-growth. Give thought to internal mobility and... retention (people will leave in January). Everyone says diversity is important but nothing is actually being done about this. Also, management needs to stop hiring their friends. And stop asking for reviews unless something is going to be done.

Cruise2019-10-31
  7. "Amazing mission, great people"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really interesting technical problems, which attracts smart people. Great mission that will have a huge impact on humanity. Lots of really talented people to work with, and mostly a culture of people and teams working together to achieve success. Many people go above and beyond to help each other out and do the right thing. Fast growing company means frequent opportunities to step outside your comfort zone and... be challenged with new responsibilities. VP Engineering (Mo ElShenawy) and CTO (Kyle Vogt) are both really smart and hyper focused on making Cruise successful.

Cons

Due to hypergrowth I hear that a few teams have inexperienced management, which leads to politics and people eventually changing teams or burning out. I haven't worked on a team like this, and I think it's a small minority of teams and improving over time.

Advice to Management

Promote from within for first line managers, and continue hiring more great experienced leaders at higher levels.

Cruise2019-10-29
  8. "Great Culture. Huge growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Cruise for <6M and it feels like a great fit so far. 1. Ability to move fast and build stuff- within a month I already had a few wins under my belt. 2. Solid culture throughout my org- transparent, one team and always looking to learn. 3. Scrappy and structured at the same time- coming from startups, I know how scrappy things can be. I am impressed by how much strategy there is alongside the... scrappiness :)

Cons

1. Multiple buildings make it difficult to connect with other teams. 2. Limited visibility into CEO and C-Level's short-medium term vision

Advice to Management

Communicate early and often!

Cruise2019-10-25
  9. "Unique space - challenging and offers growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for less than a year

Pros

We have few competitors and it’s still a true “race” at this point. Interesting projects and working on something that’s never been done before. Collaboration among departments and genuine co-workers who are always willing to pitch in and help out to get a project done or spare time for a demo/brainstorm. Managers truly care about your growth and hold weekly 1:1s and all-team check-in meetings. There are also... several learning and development resources offered to employees for career growth. Free lunch + snack galore, health stipend, insurance packages, relocation packages among other perks.

Cons

There is a great work-life balance here but while you’re at work you’re expected to perform. Not a con, per se, but if you’re not used to a fast-pace it may be difficult to keep up.

Advice to Management

Ramp up and continue to train managers and offer learning and development courses to all. As the company grows, please continue to be transparent and offer open-forums for Q&A’s - these are valuable to all employees.

Cruise2019-10-25

"Good company, badly run"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with lots of smart, passionate people on a really cool problem. It is friendly office environment, and the work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

There is no consistent vision for the product. The executive leadership are delusional about the rate of progress, and medium-term planning is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the slow rate of progress, stop chasing that magic bullet that is going to solve all our bugs, and plan realistically for the long-term.

Cruise2019-10-24