Cruise "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Cruise Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 25, 2019

3.7
Cruise CEO Dan Ammann
Dan Ammann
Pros
  • "The offer awesome benefits that promote a healthy work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• "Fast growing company with financial backing to bring self- driving cars to market(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hypergrowth pains: With any company growing so fast there are going to be growing pains(in 13 reviews)

• "Hires saying cruise employee but use third party recruiter (Aerotek)(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Unique space - challenging and offers growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for less than a year

Pros

We have few competitors and it’s still a true “race” at this point. Interesting projects and working on something that’s never been done before. Collaboration among departments and genuine co-workers who are always willing to pitch in and help out to get a project done or spare time for a demo/brainstorm. Managers truly care about your growth and hold weekly 1:1s and all-team check-in meetings. There are also... several learning and development resources offered to employees for career growth. Free lunch + snack galore, health stipend, insurance packages, relocation packages among other perks.

Cons

There is a great work-life balance here but while you’re at work you’re expected to perform. Not a con, per se, but if you’re not used to a fast-pace it may be difficult to keep up.

Advice to Management

Ramp up and continue to train managers and offer learning and development courses to all. As the company grows, please continue to be transparent and offer open-forums for Q&A’s - these are valuable to all employees.

Cruise2019-10-25

"Good company, badly run"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with lots of smart, passionate people on a really cool problem. It is friendly office environment, and the work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

There is no consistent vision for the product. The executive leadership are delusional about the rate of progress, and medium-term planning is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the slow rate of progress, stop chasing that magic bullet that is going to solve all our bugs, and plan realistically for the long-term.

Cruise2019-10-24

"Living the dream"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of the story of something that is going to change the world. Everybody at this company is working towards the same one goal. The offer awesome benefits that promote a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

This is a place for an easy job. Things change fast, whatever the answer was yesterday is obsolete today. It’s not a job for the faint hearted, you’re required to buy into the vision which take on much responsibility.

Cruise2019-10-13
  4. "Great place to learn and grow"

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Cruise for less than a year

Pros

- Coworkers worked cohesively and were quick to help one another. - Great work/life balance. - Good pay and lots of perks.

Cons

- Employees and the office are constantly changing and increasing as the company grows. This can get a bit hectic.

Cruise2019-10-12
  5. "Internship Experience"

Current Intern - Software Engineer(Internship)

I have been working at Cruise for less than a year

Pros

Interesting Mission, plenty of room for growth.

Cons

Very little work life balance, not a fun work environment.

Cruise2019-09-19

"A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are great opportunities to learn and solve big problems. The people here are kind, very clever and also interesting, a rare combo. I am excited to come to work and really enjoy the atmosphere, ethos and work environment. The compensation is above market, as are the perks. You even get to use the in house ride-share app and ride in our driverless cars. It is a great place to advance and become the... best professional you can be, management is doing their best to scale well and onboard employees well. And it works. The company is very well funded, which is great in terms of job security and not needing to worry about fund raising, an incredible strength in a startup. The work life balance is great, and the teams are very flexible about times, and days off. There is an unlimited vacation policy.

Cons

It still a startup (despite its size), and there is therefore a bit of chaos, which is a lot of uncertainty to handle for the problems and processes you are working on. If you are scared of tough problems, or unwilling to go above and beyond, then this mightn't be the place for you

Advice to Management

Keep on working to make this the best place to work, and enabling us to do our best work.

Cruise2019-08-08

"Fear-based, toxic & nepotistic work culture"

I worked at Cruise

Pros

Competitive salary, great benefits, inspiring mission, and a handful of amazing humans.

Cons

Fear based culture tone is set at a leadership level and trickles across every where. Nepotistic hires and management tendencies keep rotten people in leadership and middle management when they ought not to be. Diversity is painfully lacking especially at a leadership level. Management training from L&D can't keep up with hyper growth. People are let go often without logical explanations or performance reviews, and... that news is barely communicated well to the remaining team members. Hiring is often clunky and tends to clash with multiple departments making it hard to find clear ownership lines in overlapping projects. Physical workspace runs out often again due to aggressive hiring goals and leads to an open office floorplan that is uninspired and overcrowded. Some good apples in terms of people but you really have to look for them, but majority of the majority of the company skews younger, entitled, and all of this with absolutely no work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Stop being afraid to rock the boat and let go of leadership that is no longer serving you well. Pay attention to the signs that are so clearly there. Bring back the anonymous focus groups and really listen to what people are saying/thinking to get a better idea of how people are actually feeling. And then have the courage to make the necessary changes. Stop intimidating people with aggressive goals and deadlines -... fear will only get you so far. Allow for more cross-departmental and transparent communication when it comes to hiring so similar roles aren't hired on very different teams. Allow families especially but everyone in general to get the work/life balance they deserve so they can help you get to your goals more efficiently. Beef up your learning and development team so they can keep up with the proper training many new managers need, or the people you try so hard to hire will continue to be nothing more than collateral damage due to mismanagement.

Cruise2019-08-23

"Interesting industry but unhealthy job"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for less than a year

Pros

It’s a really cool industry to be in these days. Your work has an impact. You can take rides around the city and see the cars progressively getting better.

Cons

Leadership looks over your shoulder. People get fired regularly. Work life balance is nonexistent. Engineers in the workplace have big egos. Expectations are absurdly high.

Advice to Management

Leadership seems to think they can curate a bottom-up culture by forcing things top-down, rather than trying to understand why some things are done a particular way.

Cruise2019-06-18

"Fast moving big company with great mission, workplace, and people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Lots of great people who know what they're doing - Well organized with smooth-running HR/IT/Facilities teams - An exciting workplace with big problems to challenge - The new Chief People Officer is great - Highly dependent on your team, but work/life balance is incredible. I don't know anyone who works late or on weekends.

Cons

- No launched product, no revenue to speak of. This can get a bit demoralizing after a while. - There's occasionally some red tape that slows things down dramatically, especially in IT Purchasing - No budget for individual learning & development - Very hard to get promoted

Advice to Management

Reinstate the L&D Stipend!

Cruise2019-06-04

"Mission Driven Company, High Impact, Improving Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cruise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Context: I’ve been with Cruise about 2-years and have seen the company grow about 3x from 400 employees to 1300+. Since joining as a Technical Recruiter I’ve been given multiple raises, promoted, and changed my role to be more aligned towards my strengths. It’s been a pleasure to grow with the Cruise recruiting team from the scrappy beginnings to the scale of Recruiting now at close to 100 in the department. +... Mission-Driven Company: Ultimately you want to see robots cars in existence in an urban environment or you don’t. Those that are in here for a quick ride need not apply. We’re in it for the long haul and want to see our cars on the road in a public launch and beyond. It’s awesome to come into work and actually be excited about what we’re working on. Every day is another opportunity to learn and grow your understanding of building robot cars that scale. + High Impact: I’ve seen teams grow from 0 to 60+ and made first hires for several different teams. Some of my hires have been quickly promoted to management, leads, and senior/staff level. We’ve made significant changes to the recruiting process and made improvements towards the knowledge base for onboarding and training new hires. + Great Work Life Balance: Management addressed the burnout issues and listened to feedback regarding improving work-life balance through improving flexibility around working from home policies and encouraging usage of Flexible Vacation time. Your team will provide coverage for wrap-ups, OOO, and scheduling issues. We have a bunch of remote recruiters so we’re gradually building a stronger remote working culture. + Strong Recruiting Culture: Humbled to be a part of a high performing team with smart and talented individuals whom I learn from every day. We share our knowledge, best practices, tips & tricks but also know how to relax for fun off-sites and occasional happy hours. + Great Compensation: The market is great for talented recruiters and we pay well for strong ICs and leaders. Cruise pays generously and its compensation structure is heavily skewed towards cash. They provide a cash bonus and equity in the form of RSUs to provide a further incentive of the potential upside. (Softbank, Honda, T.Rowe Price Investments - $1B -> $19B Valuation)

Cons

-Hypergrowth pains: With any company growing so fast there are going to be growing pains. It’s been challenging to endure large goals for hiring without proper leadership to pushback on expectations. We’ve recently hired a Chief People Officer and VP of Talent to help address the recruiting organization’s strategy in scaling to 2000+ employees. -Career Growth: We used to have a $1000 learning & development... stipend that could cover certain conferences and courses. Now the approval process for L&D seems opaque.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring senior leaders in recruiting to help build more structure and improve overall processes and analytics to ensure the success of the recruiting organization. Help define remote work culture as we scale our company in Bellevue and San Francisco to work with large remote teams. Improve career development efforts with noticeable contributions towards learning and development stipends or programs that... incentivize individuals to actively seek learning opportunities that can align with the growth of our company and promote the company’s interests in events. Improve our diversity efforts in leadership hiring and resources allocated towards diversity initiatives.

Cruise2019-06-01