Crunchyroll Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom Pickett

"Fun, dynamic work environment, smart but humble people!"

Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Crunchyroll full-time

Pros

The number one reason people work here is the other people that work here according to our employee satisfaction survey which is a testament to the company culture.
    Employees are passionate about their interests outside of work and this has helped foster stronger relationships, whether its during our ski trips, off sites or hanging out after work.
    Solid benefits and perks

Cons

We went through a bit of an identity crisis when Crunchyroll created its own parent company, Ellation based on the streaming technology developed at Crunchyroll.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering employees to speak up and promote ideas.

Feb 21, 2017 – Head of PeopleOps/Talent

We take pride in having an evolving culture that is influenced by every new talent that we bring on to the team. We have a passionate team and this is also instilled in our culture. Thank you for the ... More

"Crunchyroll is Ellation, read the Ellation reviews"

I worked at Crunchyroll full-time

Pros

In short, there are still a few smart, humble, passionate people at Crunchyroll/Ellation despite the turmoil at the company. Free lunch and dinner four days a week, a very nice office and opportunities to have a big impact on the anime industry.

Cons

"Crunchyroll" is not a separate company. It's a product that the company Ellation maintains. The business teams for Crunchyroll are somewhat separated (though they're still in the same office) but engineering and many other departments are all part of Ellation proper. Read the Glassdoor reviews for Ellation. They don't bode very well.

Petty politics and sabotage have resulted in layoffs for some of the most senior and well-respected engineers, as part of the company "growing" by buying up its outsourcing partner (whose CEO was conveniently ALSO the "interim CTO" of Ellation at the time). Now the rest of the senior engineers and lots of other people are leaving. There's a huge amount of distrust between ground-level employees and management.

Advice to Management

For Crunchyroll specifically, it might not be a bad idea to split it off into its own business unit with dedicated product, engineering, QA, support, etc. At least then you can shield it from the poisonous culture you've cultivated at Ellation proper.

"Crunchyroll and Ellation are the same"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Crunchyroll full-time

Pros

Used to be a good place to work. I wrote a long review of this place once, I think one of the 3 stars (or maybe 4 stars), and I genuinely believed in the mission then

Cons

Go check the Ellation Glassdoor before you decide anything. Ellation is the "parent" company of Crunchyroll and while that may lead some people to think that perhaps Crunchyroll itself is a standalone unit within Ellation, more or less sheltered from all that's happening, it's not. Pretty much anyone who worked on Crunchyroll worked on the new product VRV as well, it is the same people the same teams (there was not enough headcount to split into two), so anything that is described happening to Ellation employees is gonna be the very same for this listing, even if they look separate in Glassdoor

Advice to Management

cross your fingers and hope Amazon is kind enough to acquire the company

"A once bright star now a supernova"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Crunchyroll full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So much camaraderie, socializing, shared interests, etc. However since Ellation became prominent over Crunchyroll there wasn't the same vibe. It's one thing to love your work, but equally important to enjoy little moments with people around you. It's what give a workplace real soul.

Cons

Lots of uncertainty with where the company is going and proper strategy to achieve that. Too much ephemeral shifts cause delays and decisions based on questionable metrics. Culture of fear so people keep their heads down without questioning. Turnover rate is high and company sweeps departures under the rug.

Advice to Management

Lots of room for improvement starting with open transparent communication, minimize excuses and smoke screens. Set the foundations for success and see it through. Go with forward movement not backpedaling. Equal accountability & contributions within the company. Leaders should inspire others with their actions and lead by example, not words.

May 9, 2016 – Head of PeopleOps/Talent

Pros and Cons outlined here really depict a time of change in the company. This feedback is from a past employee and I can imagine many changes have taken place from time of employment to current ... More

"Stabilized, but dying"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Crunchyroll (More than a year)

Pros

Still has: A great office, with everything. All the equipment, all the decor, a gym, a kitchen, brightly lit, in the best location a tech commute could have. Connected to a BART station. Nice. Pet are welcome, and the people are generally fans of the services so that's always an enthusiastic plus. Raises have finally come a couple years too late to save MANY who already left, but still very nice.

Cons

Politics, and corruption. Literal high school level politics with senior management all leaving in droves while the CTO and people he hired get forced out or are leaving/left as well. All the while this is happening there's scandal after scandal in several departments both very public and private as people disappear. No career track or guidance as people leave in disgust for other jobs or are forced out due to favoritism, cronyism, or just plain negligence as people and priorities are shuffled constantly as the entire company spins it's wheels doing nothing and trying a half dozen times to reboot the same thing.

Advice to Management

Get management? So much of the management team has left, and so many others have little to no interest in managing.

"Beware of the company politics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Crunchyroll full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks (e.g. nice office, lunch, snacks).

Cons

Very poor communication, people management, and leadership. This used to be a fun place to work, but management changed and it is now a political war zone.

Advice to Management

Please talk to your employees before making judgments and rash decisions. If you set proper expectations in the beginning, bad situations can be avoided.

Oct 30, 2015 – Director of HR

We appreciate any and all feedback, and this in particular has been a very candid review. In the past 6 months we have had a few key leaders join the company. I am excited for experienced leadership ... More

"Funnest Company I've Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Crunchyroll full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, lots of smart creative people, fun events. Really cool products with a huge following. Dog friendly. Very cool new office space on the 7th floor of the Westfield mall. Very open to honest feedback. Lunch and dinner catered 4 days a week.

Cons

Some growing pains. Lacking key technology positions. Benefits are not very competitive. Some folks worn down from too many course changes and emergencies.

Advice to Management

The best leaders are ones who teach others to be leaders. It is very rare to find them. It would be wise to keep them.

"I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Great Work Culture/Environment
    -Management supports employee growth
    -Management is transparent and keeps us up to date with company goals and progress
    -Opportunity for advancement
    -Great location in Downtown SF
    -Great company perks
    -ANIME!!!

Cons

-None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Please continue to keep us in the loop. More company outings.

10. "Fun and Easygoing"

Pros

Fun work environment and a team oriented environment!

Cons

Revolving staff that follows the new trend of switching jobs frequently.

Advice to Management

Look towards long-term hires rather than short term solutions

"Growing company with clear upside potential, but need to improve culture and come together as a team"

I have been working at Crunchyroll full-time

Pros

- Unique position in a very attractive market -- the transition from traditional cable bundles (Time Warner & Comcast) to digital subscriptions is undeniable and poised to accelerate. Crunchyroll is one of the largest digital video businesses in what will become a very crowded area where many new entrants will fail. Crunchyroll is well-positioned to capture a sizable portion of the value transitioning from traditional cable to new digital models.
    - Numerous business challenges to overcome, providing an exciting work environment and one in which employees can have a noticeable impact on driving growth.
    - Lots of awesome, passionate, smart people.

Cons

- Lack of shared values & culture. Crunchyroll has undergone a huge transition in becoming "Ellation". Crunchyroll hovered between 25-40 people for a long time, but then ballooned into a 150+ team within a year. If the new additions were asked why they joined the team, or the mission/vision of the company, I imagine there would have been a wide variety of answers -- this further muddled the "culture". This is not unique in the Bay Area, and Crunchyroll/Ellation went through the same struggles others do when trying to scale quickly, mainly putting immense pressure on communication throughout the organization and a shaky foundation of systems & processes (i.e. hiring/recruiting, compensation/leveling, feedback/mentorship). All of these challenges are alleviated with a strong cultural backbone. There has been progress in communication and systems to help scale the team, but still lots of room for improvement in defining the vision/mission to align the team, and building a more robust "culture" defined by a shared set of values. These are just the first foundational steps -- the mission, vision, and values have to come from a genuine, authentic place and permeate everyday decisions and actions.

Advice to Management

Answer the following questions: Why are we here? What's the long-term vision, and how are we planning to achieve it? What do we believe in and what do we cherish as a collective team? How do we create an environment that cultivates teamwork & cohesion? How do we motivate our team to accomplish our mission?