Crutchfield Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Crutchfield Jr.

1. "Fun place to work at"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Norton, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Norton, VA

I have been working at Crutchfield full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Room for Advancement, Great Environment. Supportive management. The computer and phone system is superior to other call centers.

Cons

As with any job dealing with the public, there is the occasional rude customer, but it is quite rare. No time off during the Holidays.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing

2. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Crutchfield (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great casual environment.

Cons

Pay needs to be keep up with cost of living in the area.

3. "Too much a Good ole Boy Network and no chance for Advancement"

Former Employee - Sales in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Crutchfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a lunch break out of the toxic environment at the Outlet Store
    Discount on Electronics

Cons

No room for advancement
    Many lifers there on the sales floor that don't welcome new hires at all
    Poor Management, you have a store manager that just hides in his office and does not provide feedback until you do something wrong
    Too much favoritism for the old timers there who are lifers and no ambition to move up and are content with making just an average salary
    If you do not go with the flow, you are basically an outcast
    Too many people who slack on the job, too much fooling around the sales floor at the Crutchfield outlet store in C'ville

Advice to Management

Where is Management on the floor?
    Stop showing favoritism to your lifer employees and give everyone an equal chance

5. "Absolutely the best place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Crutchfield full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Crutchfield is a great place to work for so many reasons. It is a great learning environment, the people are respectful and the employees are heard! We have a unique culture that is filled with great people who have amazing talent!

Cons

The facilities are not perfect. We do work in a nice environment but it is not extravagant. The company has absolutely no debt and this is why we have not experienced a layoff. The perfect facility is not worth the debt.

Advice to Management

The company needs a career development plan.

6. "AWESOME PLACE TO WORK."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Crutchfield full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is friendly and willing to help. Pay is decent. Will never be asked to do something that a senior executive wouldn't do themselves.

Cons

Not enough cons worth mentioning...

7. "Great people & excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norton, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norton, VA

I have been working at Crutchfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment; coworkers are nice and friendly; set schedule for the most part, may change around holiday’s; employee discounts on thousands of electronics; training if you're Sales, Customer Support and Technical Support rarely get to attend training; and you can also work from home if your senior level support.

Cons

Not much room for advancement; limited holidays and vacation time; hourly pay is not the best for Customer Support and Technical Support, but could be worse.

Advice to Management

Give Customer Support and Technical Support better pay, they are the backbone behind your advertised Excellent Customer Support, they should be treated like they matter.

"Poor workflow, poor resource management, closed culture in the outlet store. But there are donuts!"

Current Employee - Installation Technician in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Installation Technician in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Crutchfield full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

About 80% of the people were nice. Could be a good long term place to work if you aren't into personal growth, are only looking for a paycheck and are not a woman. Decent benefits. Bill Crutchfield seemed like a nice enough guy.

Cons

Office culture wasn't particularly nice. Sort of a "Good ol' boy" or college fraternity mentality, mostly in middle management. Not very inviting unless you're a guy, and even then only if you play the game. If you do good work in the field, many on the team slack. If you hang back like them, they still slack, but you get overtime. That was literally the advice I was given when I was called an "overachiever." I did my best while there, but there were just parts of the culture that I couldn't understand and/or accept, so I left. If I want a raise, I'll work for it. I don't want to fleece my corporate boss for an extra dime.

Advice to Management

Create better methods for accountability in your teams. Don't reprimand the entire team when only a few people are not doing their job. Foster open dialog and don't push people out if you don't like what they have to say.

9. "Don't bother, you'll regret it and there are better employers out there! Just another call center nothing more."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wise, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wise, VA

I worked at Crutchfield full-time

Pros

The steady paycheck, hours were fixed. Of course, that's not the case anymore. Hey if you love making the same wage for about 12 to 15 years this is the perfect place! An annual raise for a non-sales department employee may be as high as $300. The key to working here is to do your job and collect your paycheck. And if you're lucky to have the opportunity, move on to another job. Do not offer suggestions or other improvements because you'll most likely receive a rather derisive reply.

Some of the people are nice but not all (see below).

Cons

Too "family friendly" as in they'll hire relatives and even husbands and wives although they work in "separate" departments so that's supposed to be ok. The problem is that it creates an extremely toxic and cliquish work environment. Most of the employees socialize outside of work with each other so the clique is well established. Most of them have worked together more than 10 years. If you do not fit their model you will not enjoy your job. Their model includes taking part in every company function and being very "rah-rah" to the point of being cult-like.

If you aren't part of "Sales" then you don't matter at all and you can be replaced. Web (Internet Sales), Technical Support and Customer Service help keep what seems to be a slowly sinking company afloat. Although, the front line people that work in those departments see very little for the effort. If you are not in Charlottesville you may see Bill Crutchfield for about 30 seconds a year, if that. So, their "we're so connected" to our employees is unfortunately, just not true.

The glossy catalog and website with all of the awards do not match the day to day operations reality. The starting wage in the most recent ad I read online was $8.25/hour (non-sales).

Advice to Management

What upper management? Upper management gives the impression that they are not to be inconvenienced until their personal retirement. The only advice I would offer is to stop hiring relatives of any kind. That's a policy that most companies have followed for many years. I would have other advice but its not worth the time to type it out, it doesn't matter now.

10. "Great people, low pay"

Former Employee - Writer in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Writer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Crutchfield full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, relaxed environment. Very family-friendly. Low-key. It's competitive to get hired but once you're in the door you can choose to retire from this place.

Cons

One of the lowest-paid places I've ever worked, despite my experience. I'd still be there if i could afford to live on that salary.

"May Have Lost its Way"

Former Employee - Phone Sales Advisor in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Phone Sales Advisor in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Crutchfield full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Crutchfield is a good company with good people. Bill Crutchfield is a great leader.

Cons

The company seems to have lost its way when it comes to employees. Compensation has been greatly reduced in the past year. For some employees as much as 30%. Also the average workload per employee has risen. More work for less pay is not a winning formula.