CryoLife Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
CryoLife Chairman, President and CEO J. Patrick Mackin
J. Patrick Mackin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • High quality allograft tissue for vascular and cardiac procedures (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management, in some departments, do not actually understand the tasks that their employees are actually doing (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay in entry level positions with high turnover (in 3 reviews)

"Good for young adults with no life"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at CryoLife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits for full time employees

Cons

Upper management and hours for non corporate departments.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees as if they are expendable and not needed.

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Cardiac Dissector in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Cardiac Dissector in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

4x10 work week. Paid on thursdays

Cons

HR is horrible. No matter how many times you let them know your work environment is hostile, nothing is done. Benefits are abismal. If you are a woman and try to take any leave or disability due to complications with pregnancy they make it hard and act like they're offended because you have a medical issue. When someone makes a mistake regarding pay, payroll has an attitude about it. If you're not on the corporate side you will work every holiday.

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul of supervisors, managers and team leads in TPL. Everyone in TPL is miserable and it trickles down to subordinates. Also, there is no discipline for employees that set out to create hostility, which is why turn over is high.

"Stressful but interesting work"

Former Employee - Lab Trainee in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Lab Trainee in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Very hardworking coworkers (on certain shifts), great pay on top of differential and over time, benefits, interesting work that helps sick people, off for three days

Cons

I want to try and be honest as possible with this review and my feelings on this position at this Cryolife. This was a bitter pill for me to swallow since I have done well in previous jobs and had high hopes for this one. This is a very stressful position since you must deal with sensitive materials and the way the people around you react. Documentation is extremely important here due to the nature of the position and if you are a person who makes a lot of errors you will be heavily reprimanded. This includes intimidation and embarrassment in order to correct employees such as handing out packets that make you write our your name over and over to calling over other trainees to make an example out of you. This creates an extremely tense and stressful environment with little to no understanding of mistakes or errors. You are encouraged to speak up if you need more time with training something but when you do supervisors will get upset and make you feel incompetent. There are long hours (11- 12 hrs) on all shifts. Some shifts tend to slack off leaving work for another shift to pick up. Different shifts do things differently from what the standard operating procedures dictates causing confusion and mistakes. There also seems to be a problem with favoritism with the supervisors comparing employees to one another, it is a very high school mentality. To me this was an interesting and disappointing experience but this was not the place for me and I am thankful I left when I did. If you can deal with an high stress environment, long hours and high expectations of almost perfection you will be rewarded with great pay and invaluable skills. If not I would look else where.

Advice to Management

Do not use fear and intimidation in order to correct an employee if they are having a hard time sit them done and discuss it with them. Have supervisors go through some sensitivity training. Don't be so obvious in your favoritism toward one employee or another it will only breed contempt.

"Worst Job Of My Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice building. Some friendly people. Great sick policy (if they would actually let you use it).

Cons

Here is my 100% honest review:

You must be clocked in between 8:20-8:30am. Not one minute after or you will be reprimanded. You will be expected to stay as late as needed to get your work done. So if you have children to pick up from daycare or a meeting after work - forget about it. The only people who this does not apply to is management. They are able to leave whenever they want. There is a rule for everything, to the point of absurdity. There is no eating at your desk. You cannot use post-it notes. White-out is a big no-no. Your drinks must have a lid on them. You have to pour your canned sodas into a styrofoam cup with a lid and drink from a straw. You are not allowed to decorate your cubicle in any way. You cannot put any push pins or tape on your cubicle walls - it must be 100% bare. The only allowed plants are company-approved ones. You can only use blue/black ink pens - no gel or felt. You are allowed to have one single picture at your desk, but only if it is in a frame. (I guess you're out of luck if you have more than one kid?) There is no displaying your kid's kindergarten art work or anything from home.

Management is cruel. I have seen multiple people downright bullied, intimidated, yelled at, berated, and intentionally embarrassed in front of other coworkers to the point of tears. Reporting it to human resources is pointless because they only defend the treatment. It is a really sick and unhealthy environment. They seem to sniff out the weakest person and pick on them until they quit or are fired. Then they go onto the next person. There is no equal treatment between peers in the departments. Hopefully, if you work here, you are one of the lucky ones. If not, your work life (and home life, because it carries over) will be miserable.

The company preys on brand new college graduates. They try to grab these kids as quickly as possible, usually even before they actually graduate. This way, they can pay them a nickel on the dollar and they have no work experience to compare this place to. Then they can abuse them and the kids think its great because they have a job, their own insurance, and are making their own money. Little do they know that they are being ABUSED. I feel really bad for these kids because they don't know anything different. There are actually companies out there who will value you as a human being and not rape you of your worth. One day they will learn, I hope.

The work itself is extremely manual and paper-intensive. Everything has to be pushed around to other departments before anything can actually be done. People from another department and whom I have never even heard of have to sign off on equipment that is crucial to my job. It doesn't make any sense. What should take five minutes takes five weeks. (Yes, it really is that bad.) Nothing is streamlined. It is brain-wracking, body-shaking frustrating. If you make a suggestion to change anything, they will have 100 reasons why it can't be done. They have done everything that way for 100 years, and that is the most frequent excuse you will hear to everything.

The company has a great sick policy, but they will not allow you to use it. You will be expected to come to work coughing, sneezing, with a fever, with bronchitis, maybe even with the flu. You get some kind of invisible red "x" if you take a sick day, even though you work with human tissue (!), equipment, and paper all day long. No one will help you with your work while you are out, so most people just come in while they're sick so they don't have to deal with the piled-up aftermath. Vacation is a complete and total joke. They have a standard policy, but it will take all the planets aligning and the wind blowing in a certain direction for you to be able to use it. And when you come back to find all your work from the previous week still sitting there, you will discover that it was not worth taking that vacation in the first place.

My review is 100% honest. Please consider this before accepting a job at this company. Otherwise, consider yourself warned.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.

"Don't do it!!! Stay away!!!"

I have been working at CryoLife full-time

Pros

Nice, clean office
    The paychecks don't bounce.

Cons

Rules and regulations, intimidation, bullied, overworked, no work-life balance.

They regulate EVERYTHING. Down to what what kind of pen you can use (ink only, not gel), how many pictures you can have on your desk (1 only), you cannot eat anything at your desk, and you must pour all drinks in a styrofoam cup WITH a lid, as if you are 2 years old. You are not allowed post-it notes or white-out. Those are just some of the ridiculous rules. Management rules by intimidation. Do not question them or their hand-selected favorites or you will be blacklisted for life. Most employees have been there 15+ years. Meaning no new ideas or change. Doing anything differently than how they've been doing it for a hundred years is seriously frowned upon. You will be viewed as crazy if you make any kind of suggestion to do something better or more efficiently. I honestly wish I never took this job. Worst place I've ever worked in my life.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people, not machines. Try looking at your employees in the eye instead of avoiding them at all costs. We work hard and would like that remembered once in a while instead of being treated like dirt under your shoe.

"Biohazard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

The ONE good thing about Cryolife Inc. is that despite the cons you know that ultimately you're doing something honorable.

Cons

Every department is underemployed and while everyone is aware of the issue no steps have been initiated to improve this issue. There is a constant need of staffing and the salaries offered to employees are minuscule in comparison to many other biotech companies in the Atlanta area. The company seems to play on recent college grads in hope of tedious and extensive amounts of work while only paying slightly more than your average pizza-delivery guy. Overtime is a must and occurs daily for most departments. The perks that once would draw people to CryoLife have now dissipated. Sick days are scorned upon and don't think about a balance of work and life. Here, work WILL be your life.

Advice to Management

Management would be a lot better if ANY of those who fill these spots actually had any managerial training. Most in supervisory roles have moved up in the company and have no form of traditional training in leading and motivating people. There are constant power struggles and it is obvious that the higher up the chain you get the amount of work accomplished lessens.

"Lean and mean"

I have been working at CryoLife full-time

Pros

Good fresh out of college training. Some departments better run than others if you are fortunate.

Cons

Can't depend on anything management says; can't trust supervision in several departments. Low pay in entry level positions with high turnover. Since new management took over, almost all upper level position employees (long and short term) have been terminated, many abruptly. Others have resigned and left the company. New direction is a roller coaster.

Advice to Management

Morale is terrible and people know not to believe you anymore.

CryoLife Response

Oct 6, 2016 – CryoLife HR

We appreciate your feedback. CryoLife is working diligently to improve communications and morale, and manager/employee development is on our radar for 2017. We sincerely hope that these initiatives... More

8. "Ha this company"

I worked at CryoLife full-time

Pros

No experience needed to start and some coworkers are good. There are also free tampons in bathroom, but somewhere else you could afford to buy your own.

Cons

Pay, amount of work, UNDERSTAFFED, CEO, constant corrections for minor things that affect pay raise, good workers leave all the time, don't get paid for holiday and sick days appropriately, constantly changing SOPs to make job less efficient. There are more but this is too long as is.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Stop paying wrong amount of hours for holiday and sick days. Stop changing SOPs that don't need to be changed. Change corrections to not count against your raise.

"Great work being performed here, but if you enjoy any flexibility or your family for that matter, AVOID working here."

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at CryoLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Life saving work being performed as this is a tissue (for donation) and medical device facility.

Cons

Management and HR are the worst! There is no flexibility what so ever. I'm in my early 30's yet felt like a child laborer at times. For some reason you MUST be at work promptly at 8:30, you will be shamed and possibly written up otherwise...no flexibility. Everyone is mandated to 'clock in' upon arrival which was unlike any other professional position I've ever had. Finally, HR management is clueless and focused on the wrong things. For instance I was approached regarding a personal phone call to my physician in the hall. I left my cubicle due to the sensitive manner of issues with my health. I worked here 8 months before resigning. I have a BS and MS.

Advice to Management

Consider how flexibility and pay increase would help with employee retention. The years of service bonuses are not enough to keep smart employees that know their worth...besides most companies yearly performance bonuses FAR exceed yours. Unfortunately a lot of people haven't worked anywhere else so they think that's a perk.

"You won't be happy"

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Security was helpful, nice building, decent job training regimen.

Cons

Senior management does not have a care in the world for you, as long as you
    show up and keep doing their bidding. Numerous attempts to try and build a "team" through constant boring, pointless awkward meetings and events. Unfair treatment of employees in terms of advancements, pay, and job responsibilities. Your time there will be very regulated, from the type and brand of pen you use, to the amount of pictures you can have at your desk. You'll always be watched by "big brother" due to the massive amount of camera everywhere.

Advice to Management

Learn those skills which leaders posses, earn the respect of your employees