Crystal Cruises Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gregg L. Michel

1. "Fabulous fast paced excitement"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Miami, FL

I have been working at Crystal Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Today's Crystal provides a Corporate Culture that encourages leadership and creativity

Cons

Not for anyone who isn't fluid

"Not the same Company that made it great - Horrible Now"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crystal Cruises full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Travel benefits for yourself and family/friends...

Cons

New CEO and VP'S over the last two years have destroyed the moral of the company. CEO pushed all the old VP'S out who cared about their employees. Very low pay for industry unless you are one of the new VP's. Only hiring outside of company for any manager positions people that have been with the company for 10 years are being passed over. Treated like a number not a person anymore. HR is the worst!!

Advice to Management

You lost all your good dedicated employees. All the new employees do not not know or demonstrate the original Crystal Standards. The service that won many awards in the past is no longer being given to guests.

3. "Asst Maitre'D"

Former Employee - Assistant Maitre'D in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Maitre'D in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The best Cruise Line Company to work for.

Cons

There are really no downsides.

5. "Reservations Agent"

Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Crystal Cruises full-time

Pros

The Reservations VP(Kathy) is very approachable. She is open to suggestions, and her door is literally always open to the reservations team. She knows everyone by name (which is tough due to the large number). She also makes yummy strawberry cake. She makes crystal feel like a family.
    Scott (Reservations Manager) is also very approachable. He has been flexible with my sporadic college schedule. He is professional yet super friendly so you never dread talking to him, which makes working under his direction stress free.
    Everyone else in a supervisory role such as Ed and Doug are also knowledgeable, professional and super friendly. Anyone would enjoy working with them.
    Bonuses are awesome.

Cons

None whatsoever. It could be that I am still new.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive team spirit.

"The "World's Best""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

I'm a long-time employee and very excited about all the new changes at Crystal. Our recent growth is unprecedented and we all share the same vision for success. Opportunities abound!!

Cons

Keeping up with the growth is a challenge. You need the right attitude. Positivity and productivity are paramount!

Advice to Management

Stay focused on maintaining the Brand essence which has kept Crystal at the very top of the industry for 23 years!

"Used to be a great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Crystal Cruises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Room for advancement depending on which department

Cons

It USED to be a Crystal Family.

8. "Food & Beverage Server"

Former Employee - Shore Excursions Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Shore Excursions Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crystal Cruises (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture on the cruise line. Intense working environment but many rewarding parties and events thrown for crew on a regular basis.

Cons

Depending on your rank there is limited opportunities to experience the guest areas.

"the old Crystal Cruises is dead CEO is Edie Rodriguez - Gregg Michel would never have let this happen"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crystal Cruises (More than a year)

Pros

There are no longer any good reasons to work at Crystal Cruises

Cons

Used to be a good place to work: felt like family, there was not a lot of staff turnover. The current CEO was named and brokered a sale between parent companies, from NYK to Genting. This initially felt like a positive direction as the company, after having been stagnating for years, was now backed by a parent company who was going to invest and help them grow. There were quite a few announcements of expansion very quickly. Change is always difficult, especially for people who have been in a status quo mode for years. A good leader would usher the team through the changes. Unfortunately, the new CEO is an elitist, condescending tyrant towards the tenured employees. The newly hired Friends of Edie are probably quite happy working at Crystal in Miami since most of them were hired in at positions a step or several steps above their capabilities. For those old school people still working there: leave while you can, she is moving the company to Florida even though she claims she isn't and won't be inviting you to join. The pay is terrible and what used to be a decent cruise benefit to employees now is equally terrible: most clerical staff can barely afford to travel to the ship so cannot take advantage of sailing on vacations.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to care about people other than those who share your snobby elitism. They will continue to sail with you despite how terribly you treat the employees. And, it won't be too long before this trickles down to guests and they start noticing. Oh wait, they already have, the recent Cruise Critic conversations are a terrific read.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Crystal Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edie won't be able to hold on much longer

Cons

Edie Rodriguez is the hateful president

Advice to Management

Replace Edie for a chance to survive

"Worst Company Culture, Atmosphere, Co-Workers, HR, etc."

I worked at Crystal Cruises full-time

Pros

There are absolutely no pros.

Cons

1. The head woman in HR is a true nightmarish and disgusting person. I've never been around someone who, even when offering me the job, showed complete obvious blatant distaste for me. 2. The pay was absurdly low, much lower than even standard Hollywood agency salaries, which is saying a lot. 3. The work environment (mostly due to the staff) is surprisingly sterile, offputting, and unwelcoming. 4. The work is mundane, super easy, and I was advised to work more slowly and admonished for getting my work done too quickly and efficiently. I could go on and on about this company, but if I got into too much detail my identity would be obvious and I don't trust the HR department not to try to start something.

I guess in summary: I have worked many jobs throughout and post-school and this is the only where I wasn't appreciated and constantly uncomfortable with both the environment and coworkers, and would strongly advise against accepting a job with Crystal Cruises - even if you are in dire need of money or employment.

Advice to Management

Everything needs to be overhauled in this office to be quite honest. I don't even know where to begin with how terrifyingly awful my experience with this company was.