Crystal Stairs Reviews | Glassdoor

Jackie B. Majors

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Helps the community stay strong

Cons

Too much down time firing the day

Advice to Management

Warned about minor errors

"Don't stay here longer than 2 years"

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crystal Stairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You want to get experience with helping low-income families take their first step in trying to improver the quality of life-- this is exactly what you do here. The pros to this is really just depends on what your position entails.

Cons

I worked for Crystal Stairs for 3 years, and in those 3 years all my raises added up together do not equal a whole dollar. That should give you an idea how their wages, and how its almost impossible to live off their pay.

They’ll say “oh the pay is low, but benefits balance out”… believe me they don’t. You have Kaiser + a terrible 401K plan + terrible dental coverage + semi-ok vision. Kaiser charges you just for blood being drawn + your visit copay + your meds copay—basically your plans are horrible.

The way I’ll review this employer is by giving examples of actual situations, and you can draw your conclusions from there.

Management
    “I don’t know Title V as well as you do, I haven’t had time to look at it…” – my supervisor, worked for CSI for over 10 years.
    - Title V is a state regulation provided by the California Department of Education; basically our enrollment process is to be aligned with this. If you don’t know the regulation based that applications should be aligned with, then how are you a supervisor? Basically the more incompetent you are, the more like you are to succeed.

CEO, J. Majors
    I met a parent who has a master’s, she lost it all, and when we met one-on-one she quickly concluded that I was racist and was threatening to record me. This escalated and reached to our CEO, J. Majors. I never met Jackie. In the 3 years that I worked here, I was never even greeted by her when she did her 2 times a year walk through our building. Now since this client wrote to Jackie, her issue was taken serious. Never once was I spoken to on how to prevent this. Never once did Jackie ask me about the situation. I mention this because employees here have no protection or support (at least those meeting with clients). Know who you’re employees are, and then maybe you can continue your whole advice on how to better provide customer service. Also, treat all clients fairly—take all their concerns seriously; not just the parent who brags about her PhD.
    - Also, if you knew so much about how to improve customer service lets just start with our lobby. We have a room with the title "QUIET ROOM." This is were parents are sent to with screaming children. Thank you for further humiliating parents. Maybe you fail to understand that parents come to our agency with children because they NEED CHILD CARE. I can't imagine what a mother, or any one there who comes in with their children must feel like when your staff approaches them with "we have a room for you and your loud child"

Environment: everything has been stripped away. Basically, no fun allowed at all. Not saying I come here to party, but not even a potluck is permitted. You aren’t even allowed to bring your department any food without someone in another department whining about it.
    A lot of women work here, and with that said there’s a lot of drama. The dynamics of each department is very unique. For the department I worked for there are people who will turn their dislike for something very personal. Our department created a ‘Suggestion Box’—here someone suggested that those in a click should be fired. They didn’t like someone so much they wanted that person out of the agency. If you ask me that’s a red flag. This is dangerous, and toxic. When someone doesn’t want you there, and doesn’t even know you on a personal level, you are dealing with a maniac, and drawing back to employees being supported—the agency should take things like this much more serious.
    A lot of mediation is needed for the people who work here, and that’s not the supervisors job, but it is our agency’s responsibility to do something about it because so many people are on leave here!!!! The agency offers EAPs, and its time they start to direct their staff there to assist as a tool to improve workplace relationships.

Basically the people who are here just to make a buck and not care for the quality of work + service are who shouldn't be here. People who won't step in help teams in assisting clients shouldn't be here.

Advice to Management

Demote yourself. Give your job to people who are more deserving of your position.

3. "Typical non profit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crystal Stairs (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for a great mission, helping families in need of child care. Nice benefits but this is overshadowed by low pay. Employees are generally nice to each other - in some departments.

Cons

CEO runs the company like it's hers. Most managers try to do the best they can but it's hard. Tenured employees are paid chicken change and they've been with the company for years and years.

Advice to Management

Just because you're a non profit doesn't mean you can't get with the times - even the culture is outdated. Put more effort on employee development and recognition.

5. "Wonderful Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA

I worked at Crystal Stairs (More than 5 years)

Pros

Caring people to work with. You will feel that you are giving back to the community.

Cons

It is a non-profit so don't expect much in compensation.

Advice to Management

Continue the good work

6. "Great"

Former Employee - Family Services Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Family Services Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Crystal Stairs (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping families become self sufficient is such a feeling of gratitude.
    Supportive managers and co-workers. Employees were acknowledged by their hard work.

Cons

No downside at the time I was working.

Advice to Management

Continue to support and reward staff for their job success will increase the morale of the company.

"Teacher"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crystal Stairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working with the children they were my focus. Being with the children was the best time I had the short time I was there.

Cons

Staff needs help with building a team. Too many chiefs, supervise is never there. Very unprofessional towards children and each other. Need more unannounced visits from upper management, need a makeover with staff.

"Overall decent company"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great staff. Great leadership. Centrally located in LA.

Cons

Not much room for growth depending upon your title.

9. "Love Their Mission"

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crystal Stairs (Less than a year)

Pros

This company help parents find daycare and is very compassionate about the mission.

Cons

None that is worth mentioning.

10. "Job survey"

I worked at Crystal Stairs full-time

Pros

Being able to care for children

Cons

I don't have any downsides

"Good people but lack of upward mobility."

Current Employee - Claims Processor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Processor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Relaxed culture and friendly people.

Cons

Low pay and lack of upward mobility.