CubeSmart Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Christopher P. Marr

Pros
  • If you are lucky, a rent free apartment, (in 8 reviews)

• Motivating work environment everyone is willing to assist at anytime to answer a question (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Top down company with upper management having little to no experience actually running a storage facility (in 13 reviews)

• The district managers are not all on the same page, even though this supposedly has been addressed (in 12 reviews)

"Excellent company culture"

Current Employee - Accountant in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Malvern, PA

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is amazing at CubeSmart! The onboarding and training is in depth and very helpful. The corporate office is very nice with plenty of amenities. Fitness center, Cornhole Court ("Baggo"), fresh fruit and drinks daily, outdoor patio with workspaces.

Cons

Have not experienced many cons that stick out to me that wouldn't be at any job. The company is experiencing rapid growth so additional work/time is sometimes needed.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Understand what you are getting into before you accept their offer."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Possible time to study depending on the store.
    -Somewhat flexible scheduling.
    -Simple work that requires little thought, other than trained repetition of certain systems and tasks.
    -Free bottled water.
    -Networking with customers

Cons

If you are a young person (20 - 30) it can be an ideal job while you are attending school. This is because at slower stores you'll likely be able to study on the job between taking care of administrative tasks and general maintenance. I would suggest visiting the store you may be working to gauge how busy it is. If it is a busy store, or in a bad area, then then you'll likely have no time to study. The reason I mention studying for younger employees is because this company caters to people who lack ambition, or are retired, and have no other ambition except to stay busy for 12 to 15 dollars an hour (maybe a little more depending on the area, but it may be less in other areas). CubeSmart is a somewhat ideal job while someone is making a transition in life, but given that there is few opportunities for advancement in position or pay I would label it a dead-end job. Yes, in some instances an employee may be offered residence on site (if an apartment exists), but it is not free of charge as some might believe. If an employee leases an apartment on site then more than likely that employee will be the emergency contact, and be required to take care of all the problems that occur after hours. In my experience all kinds of crazy, shady things, occur at night at storage facilities. Just ask anyone who has worked in the industry. Understand that if you are in a store manager position you will be required to clean the entire facility, spray for weeds, general maintenance, handle auctions, retail operations, collection calls, ect., often times by yourself. Be aware that you will be receiving commission for rentals, and the current bonus system may only yield you 100 dollars a month or less. If you need a job to get through a rough patch, then this company will work. My recommendation is to act like you're drinking the "Kool-Aid" but please do not swallow it. Otherwise you might find yourself there 10 years later, getting 25 cent raises each year (maybe), and nothing to really show for your time. If you decide to work at CubeSmart then take my advice and learn a skill set while you are there so you can move on to something better.

Advice to Management

I was told by a current employee that before CubeSmart took over certain storage sites that store level employees received a competitive salary, and commissions such that this particular person was able to buy a vehicle in cash. This culture no longer exists, and has been replaced with a less than competitive hourly wage. From what I can tell you get what you pay for. If CubeSmart wants to reduce their level of turn-over then provide more competitive pay, and incentivize with adequate commissions. Or, just keep doing things the way you are and get the same results. As a person who worked at the store level I can tell you that the culture at the store level is very apathetic. Why do more than what it takes to not get fired when there is no real incentive to do otherwise? I'm not the only one that shares that mentality within CubeSmart at the store level, and until corporate policies change I don't see any drastic changes in attitude at the store level. Believe me when I say that most of the positive feedback from store level employees are merely sycophants that think brown-nosing will get them somewhere, and sometimes it does. Personally, I don't see the culture changing anytime soon or ever, but it's not my problem anymore.

"not worth the stress and "playing favorites""

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CubeSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

when i first started in 2012 i had a great dm and teammates.

Cons

almost 6 years later.
    not worth the headache of mice complaints which the company does not really deal with besides pest control boxes nor being threatened because you sold some ones stuff. having to toss out heavy items like mattresses and couches people leave behind by yourself. if possible they will also have you run a store solo and expect you to do the work of 2-3 people without fail. the new district managers and home office human resources are utterly worthless, anything you say or do can and will be held against you for termination. your general manger, if your just a manager may even smoke pot in the apartment above you filtering through the air circulation system making you look guilty when customers walk in, i almost quit over that issue. with my district in chicago my boss ignored all issues i tried to correct with persons who failed to complete simple tasks such as making phone calls and if your the general manager you take the heat for what they do not do but you can not write them up, send them home or fire them, all you can do is get mark points off your audit and get yelled at "you not giving them incentive" . they claim to have all these great "values" but don't follow a damn one, and you are on call 24/7, if you don't answer you get yelled at that" your on call, we pay you if you go in, why didn't you answer the call, that's top priority even at 9pm when your watching a movie with your kids".

Advice to Management

stop firing people who did the best they could for almost 6 years for your company and stop hiring nitwits and Aholes who lie, cheat and steal. also get rid of your h.r. team as they are an epic fail.

"Good corporate culture"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice team-building workshops/district meetings, upper management was very attentive and actively engaged with the employees, there is a lot of room for growth within the company.

Cons

The store manager position is equal parts administrative work/customer service/menial labor. You clean up after Customers a lot, including some very disgusting messes...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in terms of employee work culture! It felt like the company truly cared about me as an employee.

I wasn't paid enough as a store manager to put up with what I did from Customers, though, and the benefits package could use some work.

"District Manager in Training"

Former Employee - District Manager In Training in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager In Training in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, Great Training Program put in place. Good chances to learn from upper management. Got to travel a lot and meet different people in the company. Met some really great people during my time working here.

Cons

Dealing with customer complaints and break ins, Healthcare was not the best but it was better than nothing. These are all basic things you will find with a lot of customer facing jobs. Every job has it cons you either can deal with it or you can't. Very simple, some people have a great experience some where or a bad one. Work is work.

Advice to Management

Not much your doing what you need to do to stay in business can't be mad at that, everybody has a mouth to feed and a family to take care of.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical, dental, accrued vacation and sick time and 401K.

Cons

Unequal pay and treatment amongst store managers. Salary varies between $22,000.00 and $32,000.00. Only those closest to Upper Management appear to reach the $32,000.00 mark. There is certainly a sign of favoritism and nepotism within specific districts so not everyone is given equal opportunities.

Advice to Management

Make your employees more important than your "numbers" and then watch your numbers grow. "When a piece of land is readied for a structure to be built upon it, hundreds of hours are spent in laying the foundation."

"great place for first job or for someone near retiring"

Former Employee - Property Management in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Property Management in Houston, TX

I worked at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

slow paced, relaxed environment, minimal supervision, opportunity of working with customers

Cons

very low wages for the responsibility, very little opportunity for growth within the company. little or no recognition for employees going beyond their job descriptions.

9. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great stability and great people to work with and for.

Cons

Medical could be better and more advancment oppurtunities.

Advice to Management

none

10. "Nothing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Pros

Great Benefits, Great Teammates, Great Entry Job, Company has great work ethics.

Cons

You as a manager have to work every Sunday and Monday. No chance to worship if you do.

11. "Good company"

Current Employee - General Manager in Gretna, LA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Gretna, LA

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Apartment
    Insurance
    Paid Vacation and Holidays

Cons

somewhat difficult to move up

Advice to Management

Great company and culture