Cubitt and West Reviews | Glassdoor

1.3
Cubitt and West Managing Director David Lench
David Lench

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Typical High Street Estate Agent"

Former Employee - Sales Negotiator in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Cubitt and West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very clear progression structure

Close knit team

A lot of money spent on branding and marketing

The most honest estate agent I've worked for so far

Very good training

Cons

Very long hours and no regard for people's personal lives

The hours aren't worth the money you're paid, I was a top performer and it still wasn't worth it

Very high fees which make it hard to generate business and earn money

Expected to use your personal car for business use - this is inspected for cleanliness and your in trouble if it's not perfectly clean

Advice to Management

Stop making staff work so long in the evenings

Give staff a better work life balance

2. "Wouldn't work here again."

Former Employee - Sales Negotiator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Negotiator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cubitt and West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will quickly move on to a much better job in the industry.

Cons

Ridiculously long hours. Far too much pressure to always 'help' customers by bullying them to use exorbitant in house legals and IFA. Dodgy practices from illegall listings to fudged mortgages. £4 per hour basic!

Advice to Management

Close the business down, your reputation is slowly catching up with you across the industry. I rarely hear any praise.

Mar 13, 2017 – Marketing Director

In our 8th employee engagement survey undertaken in December 2016 , 95% of our staff told us that they are proud to work for the company. When asked what they enjoy most about working for the company... More

3. "You are worth better"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Haywards Heath, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Haywards Heath, England (UK)

I worked at Cubitt and West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll get your foot in the door of working in this industry

Cons

Everything. 12 hour days, encouraged to lie to customers

Advice to Management

Shut down your company. You're good at making money, at the expense of your customers and your staff.

Mar 13, 2017 – Marketing Director

Our business is designed to provide our customers with a service that provides them with 12 hour business opening but our staff are not expected to work 12 hour days.

Let me share a couple of... More

4. "Branch Secretary/administrator"

Current Employee - Secretary in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

School hours available for admin staff.

Cons

Terrible pay £8.75 per hour after two years service and two pay rises. Insist "secretaries" wear high heel shoes. Force Sales staff to start at 8.15 with morning meeting followed by a Power Hour of phone calls where told not even allowed to go to toilet. Make cleanliness of office 'everyone's responsibility hence toilets and kitchen communal areas not cleaned properly - I had urinary infection, not surprised if related to dirty communal areas. Administrators given huge responsibility for legal compliance yet training is a joke and pay just above legal minimum. Staff turnover enormous: had 4 Branch Managers in 4 years and seen countless Sales Advisor staff cone and go. Seen loads of questionable practices from "illegally" listed properties to disgusting treatment of co workers. Made to attend monthly "Out-Passioning" ( a made up word) meetings miles away and starting each morning before my designated time to start work. Sausage factory approach to estate agency.

Advice to Management

Door to door Sales is not a good way to sell homes.

Mar 13, 2017 – Marketing Director

Secretarial salaries are reviewed regularly and are competitive in the market place. Whilst we are service professionals who take pride and care in our personal appearance there is no requirement to... More

5. "horrible company"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Cubitt and West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the training - but it will cost you

Cons

Employees are made to sign a contract, to try and reduce staff turnover. They call it their "training fee". If you miss having a life, and don't want to work 12 hour days anymore; then they will charge you £1000 out of your salary to leave.

Lunch breaks, or any breaks for that matter aren't permitted.

The company claim to be the best - and they do this by promising Homeowners an over ambitious price for their property. The company bully their customers in to doing everything in-house (mortgage, conveyancing, etc) in order to secure the property of their dreams... but even if a deal is made; there's nothing to stop someone else coming in with a higher offer.

This might sound great for the people that are selling their homes; but in my experience any property that has achieved an asking price higher than expected will only be down-valued by the surveyors anyway,

So if you want to work for less than minimum wage, and say goodbye to your life; this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

invest in your employers

Mar 13, 2017 – Marketing Director

In our 8th employee engagement survey 93% of staff told us that they were satisfied with the quality and level of training provided to effectively carry out their role in the company.

I can... More

"Gready company, long hours and no work life balance"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cubitt and West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great branding and they get a lot of business so there's no need to canvas for it.
    Opportunities out there if your willing to be a backstabbing lying worker.
    Pension scheme, capital bonds scheme
    Yearly awards ceremony

Cons

Long hours for a rubbish basic. 20% pay cut after the company announced a record profit year in 2012.
    Bad management and unfair treatment of staff.
    Staff have no input to the work style in the office (depends on office)

Mar 13, 2017 – Marketing Director

For the last eight years we have conducted a company- wide annual engagement survey because what our staff have to say is important to us. In the last survey undertaken in December 2016 our staff had... More