Culinary Workers Union Local 226 Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 8, 2019

4.4
  1. "Dishwasher"

Current Employee - Dishwasher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Culinary Workers Union Local 226 part-time for less than a year

Pros

Can get work if show up to roll call

Cons

Work not guaranteed better communication.travel

Advice to Management

More communication

Culinary Workers Union Local 2262019-06-09
  2. "Important work for a bad employer."

Former Employee - Organizer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Culinary Workers Union Local 226 full-time for more than a year

Pros

226 is the most powerful and one of the most important working class organizations in Nevada. It has the power to change thousands of lives and develop real working class power in the state and, eventually, the country....power that is not always realized but that is always present in their project and member network. Working for them is also an important training experience for those who want to be involved in the... labor movement.

Cons

[To be sure, my experience with my coworkers at 226 was generally very positive, and this negative assessment of leadership, management, and employment conditions shouldn't be conflated with a condemnation of the wonderful organizers and staff who work at and struggle and sacrifice to build 226 an working class power in Las Vegas. Working with them was generally a privileged and a treat.] Leadership lacks... imagination and critical insight into many of the campaigns they are fighting. Further 226 is a TERRIBLE EMPLOYER. They maintain a culture of overwork and stress, much of which is completely unnecessary for strategic purposes -- for much of the leadership, this sort of destructive workplace culture seems to be a point of pride and laudable sacrifice (the irony should not be lost on people that this is a labor union that is working to rid the greater Las Vegas labor market of such dehumanizing and destructive workplace treatment). Their pay is very low (generally lower considerably lower hourly rates than their would be allowed on any of the contracts they fight for) and pressure to work off the clock is common (I was personally pressured to do so, as were many of my friends who worked there). They have little compunction about changing conditions of employment (i.e. pay, benefits, health care) to the detriment of their staff, moving them across the country, or laying them off with little or no notice (all of which I experienced or witnessed). To be sure, working for 226 was an incredibly rewarding experience, and one that I would recommend to anyone who has the opportunity and want to be involved in the labor movement. But, that is with qualification, namely the qualification is that it is rewarding in-spite of the leadership and management there; your bosses at 226 will probably screw you at some point (this is not unique to 226, but is endemic to the labor movement) and the job will take a lot from you. Really, much like the employees 226 is working to organize and help build power, 226's staff needs a union so that they can protect themselves from their awful employer.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff and workers in a manner that you would see as acceptable from a Hotel/Casino employer.

Culinary Workers Union Local 2262017-10-04
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "banquet server& cashier"

Current Contractor - Entry Level in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Culinary Workers Union Local 226 for more than 3 years

Pros

I learn easily- I'm a good worker!

Cons

Its only work in the holidays

Advice to Management

I'm in school at csn taking 2classes at a time to get a degree in business management.

Culinary Workers Union Local 2262015-11-18
  5. "Like a family"

in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Culinary Workers Union Local 226

Pros

Dedicated and diverse coworkers, strong culture

Cons

Difficult to be new because it's a close knit group

Culinary Workers Union Local 2262015-01-27
  6. "Banquet server"

I have been working at Culinary Workers Union Local 226

Pros

Working conventions and pay/tips

Cons

Steady full time work or more hours

Advice to Management

More houts

Culinary Workers Union Local 2262014-07-14