Cullen/Frost Bankers Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Cullen/Frost Bankers Chairman & CEO Phillip Green
Phillip Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is preserved with reasonable expectations for performance (in 8 reviews)

• Great company values and culture (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no developmental opportunities (in 7 reviews)

• Little to no opportunity to get hired post-internship (in 4 reviews)

1. "Operations"

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people. Great building. Intelligent management.

Cons

Lack of support from senior management, Lack of women in management within IT and operation.. Management hired from other countries and there is a lack of respect for women. Difficult to move up. Very political

Advice to Management

Understand we are in a new era and women are equal. Make sure to develop leadership for women. Move non performing managers in IT out. Actually follow through with Blue Book guidelines.

2. "Underpaid, Terrible benefits"

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time

Pros

Well respected company in texas

Cons

Benefits are terrible, bank "holidays" are basically non-existent. 1 week of vacation for first year. Little to no accountability for managers

3. "Personal Banker II"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great reputable company associate with doing what's right.

Cons

Not much room to move up.

4. "Personal banker"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Austin, TX

I worked at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good coworkers and nice branches. Excellent customer service and philosophy. Great place to work if you have no desire to grow

Cons

Bad management very political. No room to grow. increasing work load and higher expectations from management with no matching compensation

Advice to Management

Rule by respect not by fear

5. "Personal Banker 1"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great co-workers
    - Great customer service philosophy
    - Great Teller training

Cons

- Banker training was substandard. I was told six weeks for banker training and had a little over 1 week when sent back to my branch where the Financial Center Manager said she would train me, but could not due to her managing several branches coupled with leaving Frost to work for a different financial institution. I was moved from my desk to another office space to “complete my training” while a Personal Banker Floater took my desk in the lobby. Frost could not have done a better job in making me feel like I was less of a banker.
    - Frost philosophy, according to their blue book, is that they don’t hold employees back. I did not realize bankers were permanently assigned to one branch and must stay in their own markets. I applied for one position and was not selected. I expressed my desire to apply again when the position was open and was told that management was keeping me a PB1 longer. Kind of hard to believe in what I am told when I am showing those selected for promotion how to run transactions and when I see bankers moving around.
    - Personal Banker 2s habitually late for work coupled with excessive time off for personal issues.
    - From my perspective, this is “NOT” a good company for former career military veterans who desire to be more than a teller. Exceptions to this would be having either a friend or family member with Frost, which can enhance your career potential.

Advice to Management

- Some managers lack understanding regarding their professional obligations to subordinates. Don’t use cliché institutional language that avoids discussion. Refer to the right resource if you can’t discuss. Blue book suggests employees go to supervisors when inquiring about specific subjects.

"Trust Administration"

Current Employee - Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers (More than a year)

Pros

Job security, free checking, co-workers are friendly & helpful with training.

Cons

Way behind on technology, low salaries, little to no advancement opportunities, minimal tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Need to focus on technology advances in banking world in order to be competitive.

"Not a good place to work at"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Cullen/Frost Bankers (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary is decent and goal are easy

Cons

They don't treat employees fairly. They don't believe in diversity. Bad bad

"Not a good place to stay for long"

Former Employee - Consumer Banker in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consumer Banker in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the management really knew what they were doing and how to train and work with different employees.

10 holidays a year

You can wear jeans and Western attire on Fridays and Saturdays in the DFW area when the rodeo is in town every year from late Jan - mid Feb

Cons

The pay is not great, the hours are not great for this position. I was working 50 hours a week every week with 12 hour days sometimes. With this position you work on the teller side and the banker side, and with all the extra meetings, working 4 Saturdays a month sometimes to cover both teller and banker positions - they worked me as much as they possibly could. Knowing I was broke, and they were not paying me well, i always got the question from my managers "well you want the Overtime, don't you?"

I was with Frost for 7 months then got a promotion to another branch and even though by the time I left I was there for over a year I was behind people in line for vacation days that had started way after I did, but were at my new location longer than I was. The vacation time is ridiculously granted and you will not be able to get the days off you need in November and December to spend with your family during holidays. If you need to go to the dentist or doctor, good luck - plan an appointment months in advance and then ask permission from your manager to have that time to take care of your health. You will never leave early, you will be lucky if the branch shuts down during an ice storm or tornado.

Some of the supervisors should not be in their positions at all. They do not know how to work with their employees to do a good thorough job, and they do not lead by example. I started out with an absolutely great manager at my first location, then when I went to my second location I was constantly questioned for why I was working so hard, why I was asking customers for their IDs, and so forth. The training and management is not consistent between locations.

Also, if you are not willing to drive all over the territory whenever they decide you should go somewhere, you will not get promoted. I was told I would not get a promotion because I wasn't willing to possibly drive over an hour to work every morning should a hypothetical position come open at a certain branch that was very far from my home and city. While I was told that my experience and knowledge qualified me, the fact that I was not willing to give EVERYTHING to the company should a hypothetical position open up - knocked me out of the running. After I realized I would never be promoted based on my experience, qualifications, and knowledge - I got out as quick as I could.

Frost was a decent start to my current company and position, but the pay, hours, position, management, and lack of potential to move up was not enough to keep me there.

9. "Personal banker"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Austin, TX

Pros

Very strong bank with crystal clear reputation

Cons

No room to grow or advance

Advice to Management

Provide training for new skills

10. "frost"

I worked at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time

Pros

Pay is okay,good to have as an experience.

Cons

They treat their employees like dirt.

Advice to Management

Eat a fat one.