KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Culture Trip Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2022

Found 224 of over 267 reviews

3.3
Culture Trip CEO  Ana Jakimovska  (no image)
Ana Jakimovska

60 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Loved working here

Feb 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great benefits, awesome mission

Cons

Got to be okay with a startup environment with high pressure

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

You don't want to work here

Mar 11, 2021 - Video Team
    Business Outlook

Pros

Office Dogs, A Yoga Instructor, Beers on a Friday

Cons

Confused management, insincere commitment to employees, regular 180s on company strategy, bad scheduling (be ready to work on weekends and after work due to unreasonable deadlines)

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Rude and egotistic CEO

May 27, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I actually just went thru the interview process with them. I did not get the job. Looking back, I feel lucky to be rejected by them as now I am in a job that makes me very happy (our company is now doing really well despite covid19). The staff I interacted with during the interview process was very nice and professional

Cons

The CEO was rude and egotistic. throughout the 50-minute conversation, he was impatient and sarcarstic. At the end of the interview, he asked me if I had any question for him. In my mind, I wanted to say "you know Kris, I don't think we are going to work out. I don't want you to give me this job". Out of politeness, I forced myself to ask a couple of questions. After the call, I talked to the head hunter about this experience. And I was told by the headhunter that everybody says the same thing about Kris: rude and egotistic.

9 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Start up based on exploitation

Feb 12, 2021 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

cool culture website, remote work

Cons

Built on the backs of volunteers who should have been compensated.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 2.0

Nothing makes sense here

May 4, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Ability to be creative on the job, but mostly depends on what you make of it. - Snacks and free lunches. - The work from home day flexibility depends on your manager. - Great co-workers. - There is pretty good work/life balance. - Benefits got better over time

Cons

I would check out the Wired UK article and Skift article to understand more about the work culture here. Some of the things done here were gobsmacking. If you scroll through, most of the positive reviews here are generated by members of the C-suite or incoming employees. New employees are encouraged to write a positive glassdoor review after their first couple of weeks on the job. The CEO has been obsesed with the negative reviews here. It’s a “revolving door of hire and fire here,” as one reviewer stated. Without fail for the past 3 years (sometime in March/April) there is a big round of layoffs (including this year). The rest of the year people are constantly leaving or silently getting fired. This causes serious disruptions to teams and coupled with the lack of experience in management it’s hard to get things done. All of the major problems stem from the CEO. He belittles employees throughout the organization. Various HR Managers left after several weeks on the job, the CFO suddenly resigned (with no replacement for nearly a year), the COO left after a month on the job, and the CMO suddenly left as well. The CEO gets defensive during AMA’s and drones on and on about how the company is innovative (talking about AR, VR, AI, Machine learning - none of which exist at the company) without giving any sort of direction during company meetings. This man is a psychiatrist but is unable to read a room and his lack of emotional intelligence at times is shocking. There is no transparency at the company. Nobody knows the financial state of the company and budgets for projects have no apparent guidelines.

20 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

No sugar coating here but then opportunities are endless

Mar 18, 2020 - Python Developer in Santa Monica, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The CFO allows you to take time and learn new subjects. They like to invest in people. My manager really cares about me and supports me.

Cons

The work is very competitive and it could be hectic No shorts allowed. Dress code is "casual professional"

7. 1.0

TERRIBLE

Nov 28, 2020 - Editor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

there were some good people

Cons

mismanaged from the start but got worse with each seed funding

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0

Be wary

Sep 1, 2020 - Business Ops
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Content, there was a smart team in place

Cons

You've probably read all the recent news about the layoffs and resignations. It remains to be seen if they can pull it together.

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

There is something off/ "culture" trip with toxic culture

May 11, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Working from home -Great people except the management -Application process -Ok as a casual job

Cons

-The management is poor - Lack of strategy and culture company at worst -Culture Trip's mission does not align with the CEO who obviously is not the visionary behind this start-up -Low salary

15 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0

CT is a Pseudo-Tech Company that is a Tech Bro Wannabe's Vanity Project

Feb 8, 2020 - Content Producer
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get a paycheck, which makes a job at CT better than unemployment. One WFH day a week.

Cons

- I'm surprised to see the Chief Content Officer's recent review on Glassdoor, telling potential applicants that Culture Trip values its employees. The CCO oversaw a massive round of layoffs in March 2019 -- and it shocked everyone, since they came one week after what was apparently a successful debut in the US and after a year of the CEO telling everyone how successful CT was. Soon-to-be laid-off NYC employees were told to wait 3 hours so that the staff in London could be fired first. So the NYC employees sat waiting in a cafe to be axed. The CCO told employees at the all-hands after that unhappy employees should leave the company. And he continued to repeat that we should leave in private meetings and office meetings. - The founder and most of his C-suite lack basic leadership skills, which is exacerbated by their lack of knowledge of tech. In response to questions, they will regurgitate platitudes such as "Move fast and break things" or get defensive, saying that the questions are too difficult. The CEO would lash out and get into petty back-and-forth, as though he were more concerned about his ego rather than the question. Does that sound like leadership to you? Are these the people you'd trust your career with? - Culture Trip isn't doing anything innovative in tech, but the leaders are so adept at talking themselves in circles rather than acknowledge the truth. - A lot of CT's content is written by in-house editorial staff, NOT freelancers, that have never been to the places they write about. So don't expect editorial integrity at Culture Trip. - I have seen colleagues steal each other's work, including my own, and take credit. Managers and leaders turn a blind eye; in fact, they are often the perpetrators. - If you're in the NYC office, your benefits will be minimal compared to what your colleagues in London get. - All the marketing material bragging that CT employees come from Airbnb, Expedia, Google, etc. are misleading -- those people were hired, but then fired or left as soon as they could. Check their LinkedIn profiles to see how long they stayed at CT. Time served ranges from 6 months to 1.5 years. - People doing the same job weren't paid the same. These people seemed to be mostly women. When they went to HR, the previous HR director said that they might be terminated. It sounded like a threat.

12 people found this review helpful

Culture Trip Response

This is really hard to hear. I can assure you that this is not the experience we would want an employee to endure. Every piece of feedback we receive helps us get better. And, we thank you for your honesty.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 224 Reviews

Culture Trip Reviews FAQs

Culture Trip has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 267 reviews left anonymously by employees. 52% of employees would recommend working at Culture Trip to a friend and 31% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 8% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Culture Trip employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Culture Trip. This rating has improved by 15% over the last 12 months.

52% of Culture Trip employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Culture Trip 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.4 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Culture Trip to be benefits, work life balance, coworkers and the cons to be career development, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Culture Trip Job Seekers