Culver Capital Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Culver Capital Group Reviews

Updated Mar 6, 2017

2.5
Culver Capital Group CEO  Michael Thomas (no image)
Michael Thomas

"Worst financial institution in the industry."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Culver Capital Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The information and training you get from senior account reps. Connecting with corporate, small business owners and vendors to understand the industry. Training will only benefit you if you intend on working in sales.

Cons

Do yourself a favor and don’t work at Culver Capital! You’ll never make $60K/year like they try to sell you at your interview. You’ll be lucky to make $40K/year working for 12hrs, 5 days a week. Turn-over is very high! The highest I have ever seen in any company. Upper Management is constantly micro-managing your call volume and will humiliate you during their Monday morning company haranguing, or via... company-wide email, if you're not meeting or exceeding their ridiculous goals (200 connected calls per day). Be prepared to sit in your cubicle for 12+ hours a day, making cold calls to companies and small businesses that have already been harassed by former account reps. They adjust your compensation and base pay downward about once every three months. You'll be reminded every day by the CEO that you're not good enough at your job and will constantly be spoken to in a condescending tone. Overall, there is a lot of tension between the sales floor and management. None of the employees seem happy to be there. It's an extremely unprofessional and unethical work environment for every employee. It becomes particularly uncomfortable when you have to be subjected to the very public and very awkward bromance between two of the managers, which is a constant source of frustration for the employees that are actually trying to get their work done. Another source of frustration is the total lack of support and the withholding of vital information that is required to do your job effectively. You can’t succeed in a business that only wants you for the short term and doesn't want to invest the time to develop and properly train employees.

Advice to Management

Management needs to lower the call volume to a realistic level that can be attained in an 8 hour work day. Don't insult employees with cheap incentives (ie: movie tickets, restaurant gift cards, etc.) in return for slave labor. Vacation and sick days should be accessible for all employees and they shouldn't have to feel bad about calling in sick so long as it's not abusing the policy. The pay structure should not be... adjusted every few months for the benefit of upper management. The meetings should be informative and short; not an hour or 2 of sales clichés and nonsense that makes everyone roll their eyes. Management needs to develop, train and appreciate their employees instead of flipping them for new ones.

Culver Capital Group2015-03-17

March 27, 2015VP of Operations

We take these comments very seriously, and find no accuracy in any of your statements. This (as well as others posted by the same person ) appears to have been created for the sole purpose of disparaging our firm.

"The reviews with High Ratings are from the same people who repost"

Account Executive in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Culver Capital Group

Pros

All you have to do in the interview is ask how many people they have hired in the past three years, and out of those, how many people still work here.

Cons

Belittled, Cold calling with no customer satisfaction.

Advice to Management

You need all the help you can get

Culver Capital Group2015-03-19

March 27, 2015VP of Operations

3. "Plain and simple: You will get out of this job what you put into it."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Culver Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone who works for the company is young, most sales associates are under 30, and a cool group of people to work with. Some of the people I have worked with have become some of my closest friends, even outside of the workplace. On top of the people you work with, there is tremendous opportunity to make attractive money (especially when you take into account the youthfulness of the group). There are lots of... people in the office doing well, and more than a handful doing really, really well. There is no glass ceiling, and the opportunity to quickly rise up the ranks and take on your own team is undoubtedly there. This has been my first job in a sales organization and I have learned more than I ever thought I would.

Cons

With all the things I said above, the truth is that success can become elusive if you aren't willing to work hard. The reality is YES, you WILL work hard. But in comparison to other hard work, how hard is it? You're making calls every day speaking to small business owners, come bigger companies and their CFOs, Controllers, etc. You're speaking to a lot of people every day. I think that I myself work hard when I... come to work everyday, and I'm proud of what I've accomplished from it - in my first year I've made $75k+, not bad for an entry level sales position. If you're not willing to make a real commitment to your current and future success, which in the end benefits you more than anyone, than you're not going to be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Continue to support those of us who want our own success to lie in our own hands.

Culver Capital Group2015-02-03

March 27, 2015VP of Operations

We at Culver strive to maintain the highest regard for our employees, and are pleased that you have excelled at our firm.

"Culver Capital Group"

in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Culver Capital Group

Pros

Culver was a great opportunity to learn about the financing and investment banking sector, Reach out to small businesses, Foster a relationship with CEO's and CFO's.

Cons

Terrible Work Environment, Cold-Calling (160+ a day), Deceiving contracts

Culver Capital Group2015-02-06

February 13, 2015VP of Operations

Culver Capital management is committed to uphold the highest standards of professionalism for all Culver team members and customers. Our firm fosters a positive and transparent work environment and is highly committed to ensuring all employees are given the best possible opportunity to be successful. We are a growing firm and leader in the commercial finance industry and eager to continue to grow and develop best in class team members.

"Best in Class when it comes to the Equipment Leasing Industry!!"

I have been working at Culver Capital Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small firm with attainable upward mobility and significant earnings potential. Young core group with energy and ambition. Sales group is competitive while still keeping it fun and without creating a hostile work environment.

Cons

There isn't anything negative I can say. The changes and growth within the firm I have seen in my time here have been all for the positive.

Advice to Management

Continue to add talented employees to the firm.

Culver Capital Group2014-11-19
  6. "Tremendous professional and personal growth available! Great team environment!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Culver Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team and office environment. Everyone including management wants you to be successful. We just had a company event at Del Mar which was a great day out of the office with the entire firm enjoying themselves! My earning capacity has never been greater. Steadily grown from $5,000 to $10,000 to $15,000 a month since I was promoted to a Sr Account Executive. This is the third commercial finance company I've... worked with and Culver Capital has by far the best ethics and morale standards. Everyone from the CEO down wants business to be conducted right without every cutting corners for any short term gain. Training available is terrific. It's hands on and everyone in management participates to ensure I have the best opportunity for success. Culver has a great 401k plan with matching up to 4%, which I believe is the most an employer can legally match each year! This year I'm looking forward to building my own team and being promoted to Vice President!

Cons

Working on larger transactions can be exciting but also stressful when your clients are counting on you to get the job done. But when you do a good job and complete a successful transaction for yourself or a Jr team member, it is very rewarding!

Advice to Management

It is obvious that Culver is on its way to being an industry leader. Continue to communicate the vision and how we can all work together to achieve it! I'm look forward to a round of golf in Newport with my team next week!

Culver Capital Group2014-08-25

"Don't waste your time, there are so many better jobs out there!"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Culver Capital Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training is adequate and you can apply what you learn to your next sales position. This position will look good on a resume but it's not worth the agony you go through while working here. The HR wants to help but she has no control over the CEO who treats everyone like slaves. The sales reps are cool but constantly complain about how they hate this place and the CEO.

Cons

Where do I start! They constantly change the commission structure to make it not in favor of the sales rep who should be earning the commission. Pure cold call telemarketing with horrible leads. Boiler room feel without the financial perks. You will not make what they tell you that you will make no matter how hard you work, $35k max including commission even after a year. Everything good written about Culver is from... management, not from employees!

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to top being so greedy and try to make this place enjoyable to work at. Stop micromanaging! The CEO needs to leave Culver and just focused on his restaurant business.

Culver Capital Group2014-08-06

February 13, 2015VP of Operations

No expense of time or resource is spared to ensure each team member of Culver Capital is given the opportunity to achieve extraordinary success as a result of the fruits of their labor and personal investment in themselves and their future. Our sales training, and on-going coaching/mentoring is recognized as second to none in the industry. We strategically have decided to invest heavily into the personal development of individuals in order to grow our Company. Culver continues to look for sales candidates that are willing to invest their time, energy and passion to be in a position to make six figures within a short period of time and to display leadership capability to advance to higher levels within our Company.

"Loan shark telemarketing"

Current Employee - Sales in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Culver Capital Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are good at hiring like minded people. I have met some good friends. There are no other pros for this job unless you plan to be a telemarketer the rest of your life or you want to be a loan shark

Cons

The entire management staff is horrible. Company has no ethics, they constantly rip off business owners. Management micro manages beyond any company I have ever seen. They lie about how much you will make in your first year. They tell you $60k but it's more like $25-30k. You sit at a cubicle and make 160+ calls and management still yells at you for not making enough calls. If you plan to work the mandatory 7-4 good... luck because they will yell at you for not working more. I could go on and on but in the end management will make all the money and you will do all the work and make nothing!! Do not work here, I would suggest going to a bank or another capital company.

Advice to Management

None because you don't deserve my help to make your company better!

Culver Capital Group2014-06-27

July 25, 2014VP of Operations

The management of Culver Capital is committed to uphold the highest standards of professionalism and opportunity maximization for all Culver team members. As a firm, each team member is committed to ensuring all new hires are given the best possible opportunity to be successful. As a growing firm and leader in the commercial finance industry, Culver Capital is eager to continue to grow and develop best in class team members. No expense of time or resource will be spared to ensure each team member of Culver Capital is given the opportunity to achieve extraordinary success as a result of the fruits of their labor and personal investment in themselves and their future.

"Modern Day Sweat Shop"

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive

I have been working at Culver Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Most employees are really cool and college educated. All are under 30 - Leaving this company

Cons

- Compensation is poor. Other equipment leasing companies offer a much better compensation. - There is no training other than summarizing sales books and putting it on a piece of paper -Its 8 hours a day dialing on a phone. Its pure telemarketing despite what management says. - Management treats employees with disrespect and all employees are disposable "seats to fill" - Unethical business practices and pitches... told to clients

Advice to Management

First off, all the positive reviews done on this company are by management. No one in the office actually enjoys their job. People are condescendingly treated. Its a telemarketing job. Plain and simple. Secondly, management talks about confidential information to other employees. They talk about who has been let go and why, which is extremely unprofessional. Lastly, its elementary school all over. Its... micromanagement that I have never in any previous employment. They know how long you have been on the phone, numbers dialed, etc. Basically if your not in before the required time to start, your late. Look for another Capital company to work for. The pay will be better and so will the culture. Much better to keep looking than to work for this company. Very high turnover here. Did I mention the longest time someone has been there is a year? (Other than management)

Culver Capital Group2014-05-29

June 10, 2014VP of Operations

Recent turnover at Culver has been with entry level Sales Account Executives, who have been with the company less than 4-months. It is during this entry level probationary period that evaluations are done to ensure there is a good fit for the new hire and Culver, which is a consistent practice with most companies. The Account Executives at Culver who clearly understand the performance expectation, have a genuine willingness to grow and expand their knowledge/skill set, motivated by our success model are advancing to higher tiered sales positions making $10k-$20k per month, within 9 to 12 months. Culver Capital Group is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau and proud of their high ethical standards and reputation in the industry.

"Great learning experience."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Culver Capital Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will learn a lot.

Cons

The payments are divided up so that you will be only making 20k a year the first 3 months until, then it increases until it averages out to 30K

Advice to Management

Better compensation.

Culver Capital Group2014-03-28