Cummins Reviews in Minnesota | Glassdoor

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger
Tom Linebarger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work-life balance can often tip to the work side more (in 70 reviews)

• Small town, nearest airport is about an hour away (in 71 reviews)

"Great place to work for motivated self starters"

Former Employee - Health & Safety Professional in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Health & Safety Professional in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company values and is built with a lot of diversity. There are many wonderful and incredibly talented people to work with.

Cons

As with many large global matrixed organizations, decision making can be slow and bureaucratic.

2. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cummins as an intern

Pros

No Pros. Very Old school.

Cons

none to state here.

"Cummins is a big company with many great employees with a desire to get involved"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here truly care about helping one another. They care about their employees and emphasize a good work life balance. There is also a large amount of very experienced people around which helps when seeking guidance.

Cons

The departments don't all share the same goals or metrics so sometimes one department won't help another because it isn't in their best interest even though it would be in the best interest of the company.

There is also no formal training for those in engineering roles which may lead to some skill gaps

Advice to Management

Invest in some more formal technical training or enforce training guidelines for managers.

Clarify the rules and guidelines regarding the rating system.

"SC Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good talent, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Too slow to make changes. Not sure what future holds and do not see any signs of something strong.

Advice to Management

Make decisions and move faster

5. "Stressful and overworked for the pay scale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have great coworkers who always are available to help and diagnose issues. Also, I'm constantly learning how to troubleshoot both Alternating Current and Direct Current circuits.

Cons

Being paid the same as other "large test testers" when they basically require maybe 1/10 of the knowledge we're required to know, they are either overpaid, or systems testers are extremely underpaid because the difference in requirements to perform this position successfully feels like a crime knowing another department is being paid the same as us but are required to know and do sooooooooo much less!

Advice to Management

Review how much knowledge and responsibilities are needed being a Test 3 employee in systems vs Test 3 Large Test, it's like comparing college football vs NFL, it's so unfair how much more work, knowledge and responsibilities are REQUIRED to be in systems against plugging in some test leads and fastening on some pipes and having the Generators run a automatic test while the testers sit back and monitor them in an air conditioned room, and if a unit has a problem and it fails the test all they have to do is write on a card what was wrong and what did it work and that's it they aren't required to troubleshoot anything meanwhile we have an extremely stressful amount of troubleshooting.... like I say all you need to do is spend one week in each field to realize how unfair it is that we are getting the same exact pay because as soon as a large test job opens up I'm going to leave this department (and I'm sure all the other testers will as well) strictly because, why do all this extra work and all this stress for troubleshooting and pressure to hit shipping deadlines??? When I can just hook up some leads and fasten on some exhaust pipes and sit back (in AIR CONDITIONING) and watch the generator run while the automated test runs? It's comparing apples to oranges they're not even in the same class yet we both have the same title as TEST 3?? If you really think I'm just giving my personal opinion, you should take anybody from large test and bring them over to systems and see if they can even catch on after one month and I guarantee 95% of them will fail or would quit, I am 100% positive that you could ask any of them if they would choose systems test over large test and they would all prefer large test it's clear as day!

"Technical Specialist"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, there are some good people to work with. Work-life balance.

Cons

Lot of hiring and layoffs every year. Poor management

7. "Great Place For Internship Experiences"

Former Intern - Product Management Intern in Shoreview, MN
    Former Intern - Product Management Intern in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Cummins as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, diverse work environment and a lot of learning opportunities for interns

Cons

Company is downsizing, which may causes fewer full-time employment opportunities

"Unreasonable work loads"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cummins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice and knowledgeable managers and coworkers, willing to help each other. The newer office building, cafeteria and gym are great.

Cons

Too much work for the number of remaining employees. Some open positions have been absorbed by current employees who already have full time jobs. Several employees have left for companies where the workload is reasonable and the salary is more. Conversely, positions have been added at the executive level.

Advice to Management

Continue to add more work to employees plates and the work will suffer, employees will keep leaving and it will become more difficult to hire good employees.

"Bad choices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fridley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fridley, MN

I worked at Cummins full-time

Pros

Good pay, consistent hours

Cons

Bad management. They made such bad choices the plant lost 150 possessions. Instead of layoff they became aggressive and tried to get people fired or force them to quit. Bad

Advice to Management

Fire yourself

10. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Open to new ideas and focus on six sigma processes

Cons

Large company working in silos

Advice to Management

More interaction among the different business units

Showing 147 of 2,301 reviews